IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Flood damaged F. Need your help bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 08:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Offset
If it does then I don't have to go through insurance and file a claim and have a salvage title.
Why don't you want to file a claim?
Old 04-28-09, 09:37 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batdude
sorry i am going to chime in on this one...

ARE YOU CRAZY? DO *NOT* DO ANYTHING TO THE CAR YOURSELF.

Call your insurance company....then have the car towed to Lexus.

LET THEM DEAL WITH IT.

No freaking way you should be worried about "saving" the car.

Flood damaged vehicles may be fine... for a while... but you have no idea where water went and whether it has all been removed once it's cleaned. Water in an electrical connector (especially water from Houston) may not manifest itself for 6 months - then all the sudden things stop working....

it's a nightmare for sure, but i vote 100% NO NO NO on doing anything yourself.... chances are that *if* you damage something (like the motor) after trying to fix it yourself... your insurance company is going to wash their hands of you, your car and your claim....

doug
Well said, you would be crazy trying to fix that car yourself. Remember you are talking about a 20K + engine, not to mention the Trans.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 04-28-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 11:22 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Well said by batdude. You aren't talking about a 1980 Ford Pinto here.
Old 04-28-09, 11:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Inspect the Engine Air Filter.... If its soaked, then water got passed it....

Your car may have stalled because something electrical got wet that wasn't supposed or maybe just enough water entered the muffler tail pipes causing the engine shut down...

Some facts on exactly how the flooding occurred to your F will help a lot...
Driving Speed?, Splash down?, Parked?, etc, etc...

Joe Z
Old 04-28-09, 12:24 PM
luciush
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn sorry to hear john!

i agree with the others, check the filter first!
Old 04-28-09, 07:38 PM
Low Offset
Driver

Here's a little update guys. I couldn't bring myself to do anything myself so I got it towed to lexus. A claims adjuster will give me a word tomorrow.

Joe- I was driving about 25 when this occured, the water was only an inch where I was then all of a sudden it dumped to a foot within seconds. The streets of Houston are extremely *****ed up and sections are flooded while some others are not. By the time I tried to get myself onto the curb and up a driveway of a safe zone it was too late. The only ones who made it through were high vehicles. But all cars failed. I believe water going into the exhaust pipe and shut the car off. But the car didn't bog or anything so I'm assuming the computer realized the exhaust wasn't letting out any gas hence the car shut down. I just hope my motor is okay. If not new motor for me or hopefully a new car, no idea.
Old 04-28-09, 07:43 PM
Low Offset
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Why don't you want to file a claim?
I don't think they will claim it as totaled that's why. It will only cost maybe 15-20k I'm assuming to bring the car back to normal standards and just put a salvage title on it, or buy me a new car. Which do you think they will do? Then I will be left with a salvaged title and the value will depreciate as well as my insurance going up.
Old 04-28-09, 07:57 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

wow.......sorry to hear that hope everything works out with you.
Old 04-28-09, 09:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Offset
I don't think they will claim it as totaled that's why. It will only cost maybe 15-20k I'm assuming to bring the car back to normal standards and just put a salvage title on it, or buy me a new car. Which do you think they will do? Then I will be left with a salvaged title and the value will depreciate as well as my insurance going up.
You can't get a salvage title unless the car is considered a total loss. Otherwise every car involved in any kind of accident would have a salvage title. If they total it, new car. If they fix it, it will be "good as new" and you'll not have a salvage title. I find it hard to imagine they could raise your rates for flood damage unless you intentionally drove into a body of water in hopes of collecting the insurance.
Old 04-28-09, 09:18 PM
Low Offset
Driver

hmm wow thanks lobux. That makes me feel so much better. I hope your right though =)
Old 04-28-09, 09:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

How far did the water go up? If anything, I would have a Lexus tech look at your car to make sure there is no signs of water damage to your motor. Because the F has a lot of electrical both in the engine bay and throughout the chassis, you're at a risk if the wiring is damaged.

The only way an insurance company can put a salvage title on a car is if it is declared a total loss. Depending on your insurance carrier, most insurance companies wont replace your car 100% as your car has been depreciated by both age and mileage. Not sure how it is in Texas, but here in CA, a comprehensive loss is a non chargeable loss (theft, fire, vandalism, etc) meaning your insurance rates wont be affected by it.
Old 04-28-09, 10:03 PM
anson89
Driver

Dang John, I'm so sorry about that! You only had it for a month! I stayed home today, didn't make it to school either cause of the flood. I usually don't drive my F when it's raining bad outside, keep it nice and warm in the garage. That's why I have an RX for commuting. I'm getting a $5000 SUV for commuting and my music needs as well. If you're ever gonna sell it, what are you gonna get? GTR!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA! But seriously dude, get a REAL commuting car, Houston's weather is unpredictable.
Old 04-29-09, 08:29 AM
chavezguy
Driver

GEt you insurance involved! Trust me................................................INSURANCE you have flood insurance just pay you Deductible!
Old 04-29-09, 01:27 PM
Low Offset
Driver

Originally Posted by anson89
Dang John, I'm so sorry about that! You only had it for a month! I stayed home today, didn't make it to school either cause of the flood. I usually don't drive my F when it's raining bad outside, keep it nice and warm in the garage. That's why I have an RX for commuting. I'm getting a $5000 SUV for commuting and my music needs as well. If you're ever gonna sell it, what are you gonna get? GTR!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA! But seriously dude, get a REAL commuting car, Houston's weather is unpredictable.
It's my daily driver! It is a real commuting car!! insurance adjuster is going to call me today.
Old 04-29-09, 01:28 PM
Low Offset
Driver

Originally Posted by chavezguy
GEt you insurance involved! Trust me................................................INSURANCE you have flood insurance just pay you Deductible!
I did use my insurance hehe

Quick Reply: Flood damaged F. Need your help bad!!