IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Alternate Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 05:36 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, I didn't forget, but I didn't think people were going to wade through 8 pages of stuff to get to a brake pad discussion.

I'll be visiting Carbotech on Friday to see what they have and what they recommend. I'm really tired of the excessive dust, so in all likelihood I'll get street and track pads from them. Carbotech has a really good reputation in the Supra community, so I suspect they'll have something I'll like.

FWIW, I've run Hawk HPS on my Supra for ~90k miles - they've not worn out nor have they eaten the discs. Pretty good street pads to say the least.
I have been using the Carbotech Ceramics for a 1000 miles now. They are great pads. No squeal. They do still dust, but not as much as the stock pads. I did three hard stops from a 100 to 0 and they grabbed pretty well and I did not detect any fade. This obviously does not reflect track conditions. The brake modulation was much better than stock, it is very linear.
Old 05-07-09, 10:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Isfast
I have been using the Carbotech Ceramics for a 1000 miles now. They are great pads. No squeal. They do still dust, but not as much as the stock pads. I did three hard stops from a 100 to 0 and they grabbed pretty well and I did not detect any fade. This obviously does not reflect track conditions. The brake modulation was much better than stock, it is very linear.
You bring up a very good point: this thread is primarily about pads for street use. We can incorporate track use as well, but it would seem some of us don't like the $300 per axle AND the excessive dust when there are options available for lower cost AND less dust that work fine for street duty.

I am keenly aware that the OEM pads might have an edge on a track day, but I'm still not convinced I'd be happy with them on a car this heavy at a track needing a lot of fade resistance. I've never seen a "dual purpose" pad that was truly dual purpose.
Old 05-07-09, 08:12 PM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sick of the dust as well, not to mention the squeal anytime I come to a slow stop...I've done the 90-40 mph fast stops multiple times to "get the glaze off" with mixed results....going with the Hawk ceramics in the Lexus of Dayton group buy...hope they a) don't squeal and b) dust less. Much less. Hawk seems to have a good reputation...hope I am not disappointed.
Old 05-07-09, 08:33 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

You bring up a very good point: this thread is primarily about pads for street use. We can incorporate track use as well, but it would seem some of us don't like the $300 per axle AND the excessive dust when there are options available for lower cost AND less dust that work fine for street duty.

I am keenly aware that the OEM pads might have an edge on a track day, but I'm still not convinced I'd be happy with them on a car this heavy at a track needing a lot of fade resistance. I've never seen a "dual purpose" pad that was truly dual purpose.
Agreed. I must say that the stock pad holds up amazingly well on the track. I have seen IS-Fs in my HPDE events on stock pads and they claim no fade at all. This did say the pads wore down quickly though.
Old 05-07-09, 09:11 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Like everyone here, I don't like the amount of dust the oem pads put out, but overall I'm very content with the stock pads. I love the initial bite and the feel of the stock pads. The great initial bite and feel is why I'm hesitant to go with the Hawks or any other pads. I have the Hawk HPS pads on my Supra and they don't have anywhere the great initial bite of the stock pads. The Hawks definately dust less but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the overall performance of the stock pads just for a little less brake dust.
Old 05-09-09, 11:46 AM
lexusjunky
Rookie

Originally Posted by caymandive
Raceshopper.com sells Ferodo ds2500 pads Ceramic ones for ($119 set)
can you share more info on this product, cause they quoted me $320
Old 05-09-09, 03:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusjunky
can you share more info on this product, cause they quoted me $320
See the post below:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I have talked to the people at Ferodo, and received the following responses:

"Hi Lou,

Thanks for the interest!

(front) FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS $220/set
We do not yet carry any rear pads for this vehicle.

For ordering, or for more information, you can reach me directly at: 800-733-8380.

Best Regards,
Edwin Robinson.

http://www.RaceShopper.com
1-800-733-8380"

AND

"We also have FRONT ceramic pads for street use available immediately.
They are $119/set
Please mention the referring customer when you order - this way we will be sure that they receive their referral credit.

Best Regards,
Edwin Robinson.
http://www.raceshopper.com "
Old 05-13-09, 12:16 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

So you run those Hawks @ 90k miles?
Can I get that on my IS-F?

I'm not sure why those ceramics are 120$, shouldn't ceramics be more expensive?
Why are these pads 100$ more per set? FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS, versus those first mentioned ceramics?
I can understand why OEM pads are 350$ a set, because you pay for Lexus / OEM markup
Then there are HPS, HPS Ceramic, and HPS P -- is it safe to assume the ceramic versions at $255 (GB) will last the longest?

Why are the HPS Ceramics 130$ more than the other ceramics?
Is it a safe assumption that ceramics last longer than non ceramics?

Again, I'm not looking for performance, just looking for price+length of life
Thanks guys
Old 05-13-09, 01:37 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
So you run those Hawks @ 90k miles?
Can I get that on my IS-F?

I'm not sure why those ceramics are 120$, shouldn't ceramics be more expensive?
Why are these pads 100$ more per set? FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS, versus those first mentioned ceramics?
I can understand why OEM pads are 350$ a set, because you pay for Lexus / OEM markup
Then there are HPS, HPS Ceramic, and HPS P -- is it safe to assume the ceramic versions at $255 (GB) will last the longest?

Why are the HPS Ceramics 130$ more than the other ceramics?
Is it a safe assumption that ceramics last longer than non ceramics?

Again, I'm not looking for performance, just looking for price+length of life
Thanks guys
I've got the $120 front ceramic set and have ZERO complaints for daily driving. I think they are so cheap because they don't have a name brand associated with them. Fine with me. I saved a bunch and have very little brake dust.
Old 05-13-09, 02:51 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I called Raceshopper and I found out the ceramics are their "brand"
That's fine with me too, if you say they are good then they are good
I'll order a set probably tomorrow
How long do you think they will last, considering OEMs went at 13.5k mi

I also found a shop that'll machine rotors and install pads for 90$, and then 60$ for an oil change
Much better than the stealership prices!
Old 05-13-09, 06:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I called Raceshopper and I found out the ceramics are their "brand"
That's fine with me too, if you say they are good then they are good
I'll order a set probably tomorrow
How long do you think they will last, considering OEMs went at 13.5k mi

I also found a shop that'll machine rotors and install pads for 90$, and then 60$ for an oil change
Much better than the stealership prices!
I'm not sure how long ceramic pads last, but I do know they will last much longer than the OEM pads. Also I wouldn't machine the rotors. If you aren't having any kind of braking issues and things are smooth just leave them alone and do a nice brake pad/rotor bed-in process once you get the new ones installed. Also from what I saw when I removed the OEM front pads is that I still had about 5k of mileage left on them, but I was anxious to get them replaced with a lower dusting version. I do find it odd that I am getting more mileage out of my PS2's than the OEM pads.
Old 02-11-10, 08:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Time to revive the necrothread...

So while searching through brake pads and titanium shims to help reduce fade risk, I discovered Pagid's 8005 pad has the same dimensions as the IS-F pad. The Pagid 8005 is intended for Mercedes '04 and later SLK 55 AMG 6 piston calipers, so it would seem MB is fitting Brembo M6 calipers to their cars.

I've contacted the company making titanium shims (they prevent heat transfer to the caliper) about making them for the IS-F. I want a set for track days, especially if I'm doing CMP again in June and it's over 100 degrees like last year.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-11-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 08:56 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ what is the cost?
Old 02-11-10, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
^^^ what is the cost?
Obscene.

RS 14 $591.36

RS 19 $650.50

I'm now looking for cross references to the Pagid numbers. The FMSI numbers are 4875-D1365 (front) and 4876-D1366 (rear). There are a number of Chinese manufacturers offering pads in these FMSI numbers.
Old 02-11-10, 09:41 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

as much as the stock pads dont have that bite i like they last and work soo well at the track. MY HP PLUS are good but lobux knows that the proportioning sucks on our cars. I am excited to check out the pagids..

Quick Reply: Alternate Brake Pads