IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My IS-F appreciation thread (and sort of a Vent)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 08:41 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Lexus and the fanboys can pat themselves on the back for "coming close on the first try", but from fake exhaust pipes to no manual to no LSD, it's lame all around. Engine/gearbox combo make it neither the torqueist - that would be C63, nor high revving screamer - that would be M3 or to lesser degree RS4 among its direct competition. In fact, it was 1.5+ seconds slower than older generation E46 M3 around Limerock. Weak. Unless you are brainwashed to buy lexus and lexus only, why would someone buy IS-F over M3, C63, or RS4?
So Lexus coming out with a car that was supposed to compete with current generation M3 yet slower than older generation M3 - that came to the market what in 2000 when Bill Clinton was in office still? - is something to appreciate, then by all means appreciate away.
Spoken like the typical douche that has never been in an F or driven one for that matter.

Another loser comment about the "fake" exhaust pipes. Those Ferrari and Lambo owners must be pissed about theirs too.

Why would someone buy the F???

Because it is a better all around package than the other 3. Yes, the C63 is torquier, but the technology and interior of the F are light years ahead.

The F is faster in a straight line than the new M3 and the interior of the BMW is a joke. Why would you want a high revving screamer? The exhaust note of the F is something that M owners can only fantasize about.

The RS4 isn't even currently built so I don't know why that is even being discussed.

I have no idea why you want to bring up the E46. The F will own the old M. It has already been made abundantly clear in those road tests that some of those "pro" drivers need a little more seat time with the F to push it properly. Stock against stock it's not going to be close.

The F isn't the fastest around the track (the E90 is) or the fastest in a straight line (the C63) is....but it's the most well rounded vehicle of the super sedans.

And no, I'm not a Lexus fanboy like you would like to believe. My most recent purchase was a Benz.

P.S. Almost forgot....Great post 1Sick!
Old 05-21-09, 08:42 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done story about the IS-F. Very well done as you painted the picture quite well for us as usual. Special thanx to Tcheung87 for the pics. Mike you're slipping, lol.
Old 05-21-09, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Thanks fellas. Here are modded IS-Fs
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-thread.html

Here are pics (my bad)!

Old 05-21-09, 09:14 PM
LexFather

Old 05-21-09, 09:23 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great read Mike. While I respect the "heritage" and engineering of the M3, I personally would not buy one - partly due to the stigma of the typical BMW fanboy who purchases this car. 3-series and M3s are extremely common here in southern California, and I'm not much of a joiner!

To the M3 troll: sure, the M3 outrevs the IS-F, and the C63 out torques it... but compare the BMW and the MB and you can say the same about either of these cars. Like Dave said, most owners of these cars don't track them, and if they did most of the owners of these cars don't possess the skills needed to really make a 10/10ths race of them.

The IS-F gets compared to the M3 more than the C63 (it seems), and the real-world stoplight-to-stoplight results between the two cars tell a story:

IS-F vs. M3 from a roll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8M-GmeaII

From a dig, it gets even worse for the M3 (yeah... automatics suck, apparently ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oyQS...eature=related

I love the IS-F... If I didn't have other things in my life currently creating a financial drain, I'd be rocking one!
Old 05-21-09, 09:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice rant, well said! I'd take an SGM with white/black leather please!

If the exhaust pipe is all they can pick at, it must be a pretty damn good car.
Old 05-21-09, 09:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its going to come down to preference. I have friends who will only drive German cars. They can admire Japanese and even American attempts at performance, but when they shell it out they want a Benz or a Bimmer. I am the exact opposite. I admire the German cars and even one or 2 american cars, but when I put my cash on the table I want a Japanese car for the reliabilty, performance, and value
Old 05-21-09, 09:50 PM
Tangerine
Driver

I was going to mention the Rod Millen IS430, that should have been the first IS-F and from there Lexus could have improved on it. But I guess a GS430 engine + IS300 chassis + Supra transmission/rear end wasn't good enough to make it into production.

The IS-F is said to be the most track tested Lexus/Toyota as you've mentioned but unsure of the total tested track times. Tracks visited but no mention of times spent testing include Nurburgring, Paul Richard, Zolder, Laguna Seca and Fuji Speedway.

You have to stand up and applaud the fact, this is actually badged a Leuxs, made by Lexus, for Lexus owners. This is the same brand that is world reknowned for quietness and a luxurious ride and quality/service. When people think sport, they DO NOT think Lexus. This is ONE conservative brand (and they do well at it).
Well said. But I (matter of opinion) would take the C63 over the ISF. If I am able to afford either car the reliability/service/maintenance would be on the back of my head.

I'd like to see what else Lexus has up its sleeves.
Old 05-21-09, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

IS-F is a good first real performance car from Lexus.

Not a great looker, but definitely solid credentials.
Old 05-22-09, 12:12 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

only if lexus had built the 2 IS with plans for the IS-F in the first place, then it could've beaten the m3 on a track too

God, if I could afford it, I'd take one in GFM with any kind of seats cuz I'd take them out and replace them with 2 fixed buckets lol
Old 05-22-09, 12:23 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus and the fanboys can pat themselves on the back for "coming close on the first try", but from fake exhaust pipes to no manual to no LSD, it's lame all around. Engine/gearbox combo make it neither the torqueist - that would be C63, nor high revving screamer - that would be M3 or to lesser degree RS4 among its direct competition. In fact, it was 1.5+ seconds slower than older generation E46 M3 around Limerock. Weak. Unless you are brainwashed to buy lexus and lexus only, why would someone buy IS-F over M3, C63, or RS4?
I drove all 4 cars and choose the IS-F. Why did I choose the IS-F over those cars mentioned? I just liked it better. I must be a fan boy or brainwashed.

And if I wanted a fast car I wuld not be looking at the C63 , M3, RS4 or IS-F, to me that is not their one and only purpose. What I am trying to say, I liked the overall package that the F provided.
Old 05-22-09, 12:44 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a good first attempt, no doubt. lets just hope the experiment continues.
Old 05-22-09, 07:58 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

A true enthusiast will see a car for what it's worth. I'm afraid a lot of BMW drivers are unable to do that.
Old 05-22-09, 08:21 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Spoken like the typical douche that has never been in an F or driven one for that matter.

Another loser comment about the "fake" exhaust pipes. Those Ferrari and Lambo owners must be pissed about theirs too.

Why would someone buy the F???

Because it is a better all around package than the other 3. Yes, the C63 is torquier, but the technology and interior of the F are light years ahead.

The F is faster in a straight line than the new M3 and the interior of the BMW is a joke. Why would you want a high revving screamer? The exhaust note of the F is something that M owners can only fantasize about.

The RS4 isn't even currently built so I don't know why that is even being discussed.

I have no idea why you want to bring up the E46. The F will own the old M. It has already been made abundantly clear in those road tests that some of those "pro" drivers need a little more seat time with the F to push it properly. Stock against stock it's not going to be close.

The F isn't the fastest around the track (the E90 is) or the fastest in a straight line (the C63) is....but it's the most well rounded vehicle of the super sedans.

And no, I'm not a Lexus fanboy like you would like to believe. My most recent purchase was a Benz.

P.S. Almost forgot....Great post 1Sick!
Thank you... and thank you Sick

Test-drove 46 cars and researched over 100 in my almost 10-month search... guess which one won out??? For a 4-door CAR... IS-F!!! Check my post in the IS-F forum ("decisions...decisions..") for clarification if you are a IS-F doubter

IS-F... becuse it CAN be done!!!!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 05-27-09 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 02:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Thumbs up

Great thread Mike!!!

After a hard decision I traded up..!!

2008 IS350 to 2008 IS-F .... Smoky Granite Mica both times!!!

Regards,

Joe Z

Quick Reply: My IS-F appreciation thread (and sort of a Vent)