IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My IS-F appreciation thread (and sort of a Vent)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 02:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to be very honest, those who put down the is-f are the true stereotypes and fanboys of other brands. and this comes from someone who is actually driving a e93 m3.

imho all these cars (rs4, m3, c63, is-f) are great cars, they are good at certain things, and lose out on some others. i do not think any of them is the "best" or "perfect" choice. depending on different people's need and most importantly, personal preference, one of them will come out on top

i am really tired of those who are still talking about the exhaust tips on the is-f. every time i bring out the fact that lambo murce has the similar design, i never seem to hear from them again.
Old 05-22-09, 02:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
i am really tired of those who are still talking about the exhaust tips on the is-f. every time i bring out the fact that lambo murce has the similar design, i never seem to hear from them again.
Bingo!!

The Tips are attached to the mufflers..

The "Dual Stacked Quad Diffusers" are attached to the bumper...

Joe Z
Old 05-22-09, 06:06 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, new Ferrari California exhaust:

Old 05-22-09, 06:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be very honest, those who put down the is-f are the true stereotypes and fanboys of other brands. and this comes from someone who is actually driving a e93 m3.

imho all these cars (rs4, m3, c63, is-f) are great cars, they are good at certain things, and lose out on some others. i do not think any of them is the "best" or "perfect" choice. depending on different people's need and most importantly, personal preference, one of them will come out on top

Great post Henry!

It's ironic, but it is so rarely the actual owners of these super sedans that are the one's criticizing the others. Most of us are aware that we are fortunate to own such great cars.
Old 05-22-09, 07:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Great post Henry!

It's ironic, but it is so rarely the actual owners of these super sedans that are the one's criticizing the others. Most of us are aware that we are fortunate to own such great cars.
You know why don't you?

Actually , a freind of mine just bought the C63 and we were both able to see the good and bad points of each car, in the end we both wanted different things , but we have a common ground which makes conversation just that little bit better.

BTW, I fogot to say great post!!!
Old 05-22-09, 09:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Great post Henry!

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
You know why don't you?

Actually , a freind of mine just bought the C63 and we were both able to see the good and bad points of each car, in the end we both wanted different things , but we have a common ground which makes conversation just that little bit better.

BTW, I fogot to say great post!!!
excellent points. in fact a lot of owners i meet who own these high end cars, they are all pretty humble, understanding, and reasonable. we compliment each other's cars and always have great talks
Old 05-23-09, 09:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great thread Mike!!!

After a hard decision I traded up..!!

2008 IS350 to 2008 IS-F .... Smoky Granite Mica both times!!!

Regards,

Joe Z
Haha well said. I had to indulge and convince other friends too!

Old 05-23-09, 10:09 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff mike!
Old 05-23-09, 03:51 PM
mallik727
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow those are nice Is that like an IS F fest? lol
Old 05-23-09, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Fantastic post Herny
Old 05-23-09, 05:44 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

imho all these cars (rs4, m3, c63, is-f) are great cars, they are good at certain things, and lose out on some others.
Tell me boys on the reliability end how would you rank them?

I mean out of all these cars in the first 5-10/100K years/miles of ownership?

Which one will be at the shop for unexpected repairs the least and which one of the owners is going to be in a rental talking to the Service Dept Manager?

Some people just don't have time for that sH__T.
Old 05-23-09, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This thread is about IS-F appreciation, not about bashing the IS-F.
Well, I'm sure you read the review I did on the IS-F in April 2008 (Yes, I read yours ). Like all cars, I found plusses and minuses about it. In general, it is a great sport sedan. Its steering feel, brakes, paint job, exterior/interior fit/finish and handling are all excellent......good job on all counts, though its IS300 predecessor had somewhat more solid interior hardware. But the back seat, like all IS models, is a joke, it is cramped somewhat even up front, its throttle/torque response is flat below 3500 RPM (and then explodes from 3600-4000), and it is definitely not a car for rough roads, where the ultra-stiff rear suspension tosses it up and down like a porpoise over humps and frost heaves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-09 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 06:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you know what Mike -- I agree with you 100% -- Lexus has come a looooooooooooooong way with the IS-F...only reason I probably won't get one is because I have already owned an IS250 & 350.
Old 05-23-09, 06:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But the back seat, like all IS models, is a joke, it is cramped somewhat even up front, its throttle/torque response is flat below 3500 RPM (and then explodes from 3600-4000), and it is definitely not a car for rough roads, where the ultra-stiff rear suspension tosses it up and down like a porpoise over humps and frost heaves.
the back seat is not a "joke" its just not for big fat people...I'm 6 ft and slender and could sit behind my wife's seat no problem...Lexus makes several other models with bigger back seats, don't bash the IS just go by a bigger model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh.......................and if it rides too ruff, you're too old...!!
Old 05-23-09, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
the back seat is not a "joke" its just not for big fat people...I'm 6 ft and slender and could sit behind my wife's seat no problem...Lexus makes several other models with bigger back seats, don't bash the IS just go by a bigger model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lexus indeed makes models with bigger back seats (like the LX470, for one) . But you're reading things into my post that I was not saying. No, the IS rear seat is not the cramped I've seen (the SC430's, and many small sport-coupes/convertibles are even worse), but it clearly is too small for most normal-sized adults. If you are thin enough to be a least halfway comfortable in it (and I'm guessing your wife is small enough so that the doesn't move the front seat forward a little), then fine, more power to you. Many, if not, most, adults, can't.

oh.......................and if it rides too ruff, you're too old...!!
I don't see where you come up with a comment like that. Age has nothing to do with it; none at all. Though it is OK on smooth surfaces, I would have considered the IS-F's rough-road ride excessively stiff when I was 18 years old.

I will also point out that my opinions on both the rear seat and the rough-road ride are not alone, but shared by a number of "enthusiast" auto magazines that have tested the IS-F.

The IS-F has some great points, and I don't downgrade those one bit. But no car is perfect. I don't believe in not giving a car praise when it is due...nor do I believe in sugar-coating the negative points like some do. Some things, of course, are subjective, and open to differing opinions from person to person.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-09 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: My IS-F appreciation thread (and sort of a Vent)