IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My IS-F appreciation thread (and sort of a Vent)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 10:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread because unlike most it's still on topic, it's about the IS-F last time I checked.
Old 05-25-09, 05:04 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Lexus never puts a manual in the F cars. Who needs it these days? A clutch-less manual, basically what the IS-F has, is much faster and much more fun. You don't see manuals in any pro racing anymore these days for the same reason. it's slower.

Plus the 8th speed is so awesome for highway cruising. I've heard of people getting 27 mpg on the highway with the IS-F
Old 05-25-09, 05:06 PM
ren495
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KI2...e=channel_page

cool video of the ISF sounding even more like a muscle car with a custom exhaust
Old 05-25-09, 08:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Just in case you missed these...

Untamed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6w4o8nJZsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4wp2VL0Ho

Strapped Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNHJ2Cvr34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfCbnr_4tE
Old 05-25-09, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by alexulan
Tell me boys on the reliability end how would you rank them?

I mean out of all these cars in the first 5-10/100K years/miles of ownership?

Which one will be at the shop for unexpected repairs the least and which one of the owners is going to be in a rental talking to the Service Dept Manager?

Some people just don't have time for that sH__T.
honestly, among m cars and amg, i don't see that many major problems on them to keep them in the shop a lot of times. they are built much better than the regular ones, which i do see them in the shop a lot more. and if you really want to bring time in shop into play, i can tell you that after my 1200 mile service on my m3, my next time to see dealership is at 15k miles. on the is-f, i can plan my trip 3 times at 5k, 10k, and 15k. same with mb, their service intervals are longer.

oh, and not to mention that i don't pay a single dime for any services on my m3.

do you see the toss up again? i can agree in the end lexus has better reliability, but still, other brands are better than other stuff. and i can also tell you that a lot of owners on these new performance cars, they don't really care about the cars after 3 yrs when they return them

you always gain some and give some on these cars period. there is no definite answer, but your own personal say
Old 05-26-09, 12:19 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. Great thread. I love IS-F. I was seriously considering one but then I had IS350 for a long time (I still have IS350, love it so much that I will never sell that car.)

It was time for some changes when I went out shopping for new car.
Old 05-26-09, 06:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can find many barely used IS-Fs for 50k, seen even some in the high 40s, great buy
Old 05-26-09, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you can find many barely used IS-Fs for 50k, seen even some in the high 40s, great buy
Since not that many new ones were sold (especially compared to the M3), why would a significant number of used IS-Fs already be on the market? Sounds to me like one of two things happened. One, either the buyers found out that, in today's economy, they bit off more than they could chew with the payments, or, two, its rock-stiff suspension on rough roads was too much.

Mind, you, I'm not panning the car (it's a great sport sedan) but, of course, it's not cheap, and, as I've mentioned before, it is not a car for rough roads.
Old 05-26-09, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
honestly, among m cars and amg, i don't see that many major problems on them to keep them in the shop a lot of times. they are built much better than the regular ones, which i do see them in the shop a lot more. and if you really want to bring time in shop into play, i can tell you that after my 1200 mile service on my m3, my next time to see dealership is at 15k miles. on the is-f, i can plan my trip 3 times at 5k, 10k, and 15k. same with mb, their service intervals are longer.

oh, and not to mention that i don't pay a single dime for any services on my m3.
A good point. Lexus would do well to start giving free service like BMW. Still, if you don't change the oil in your M3, even with synthetic and an oil-computer-monitor, for 13-14 thousand miles, IMO, that's stretching it, no matter what the oil-computer says. An oil-change every 5K mikes, like with Lexus, would, IMO, be much less of a risk.
Old 05-26-09, 07:25 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ren495
I hope Lexus never puts a manual in the F cars. Who needs it these days? A clutch-less manual, basically what the IS-F has
Just to clarify, the ISF does not have an automated manual transmission. It's a full blown automatic transmission, complete with torque converter. What makes it special is a lock up torque converter, highly advanced shift programming, and eight speeds. However, it's not even closely related to a clutch-less, automated manual, transmission.
Old 05-26-09, 08:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since not that many new ones were sold (especially compared to the M3), why would a significant number of used IS-Fs already be on the market? Sounds to me like one of two things happened. One, either the buyers found out that, in today's economy, they bit off more than they could chew with the payments, or, two, its rock-stiff suspension on rough roads was too much.

Mind, you, I'm not panning the car (it's a great sport sedan) but, of course, it's not cheap, and, as I've mentioned before, it is not a car for rough roads.
M3s coupes are still pretty high like 60k+ on ebay, the sedans are 55k and even saw one under 50k.

But yea the economy is really going to kill sales of these cars.
Old 05-26-09, 09:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

as MMarshall sort of said, I'll say it stronger --- IMO - you're crazy if you wait 14K miles to change the oil in the M3 unless you're just in it for the short term only.

if BMW maintenance wasn't free, I know they'd recommend 5K oil changes as well.
Old 05-26-09, 11:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

A good point. Lexus would do well to start giving free service like BMW. Still, if you don't change the oil in your M3, even with synthetic and an oil-computer-monitor, for 13-14 thousand miles, IMO, that's stretching it, no matter what the oil-computer says. An oil-change every 5K mikes, like with Lexus, would, IMO, be much less of a risk.
Originally Posted by bagwell
as MMarshall sort of said, I'll say it stronger --- IMO - you're crazy if you wait 14K miles to change the oil in the M3 unless you're just in it for the short term only.

if BMW maintenance wasn't free, I know they'd recommend 5K oil changes as well.
actually the m3 oil burns pretty fast, all you need to do is just occasionally add in 1/2 qt of oil when the indicator tells you. as long as you do that, car is just fine.

i read from somewhere that a bmw tech with a new m3, looked at this oil at 10k miles and since new oil are added regularly (old ones burned out), everything looks very fine.

it's nothing crazy anymore with technology advancing. for example if you look at lexus, tranny fluids are NOT touched anymore for at least 100k miles, compared to previously every 30k miles at most.
Old 05-26-09, 11:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i tend to think economy has more to do with it. i see quite a few is-f sold that way, as well as m3 too. i don't really see is-f people selling their is-f and change to m3/c63 coz' of suspension.

i think is-f sales got hit quite bad at the end of 08MY where they were selling for 48k left and right. it put a huge ding on them and also the used market. the m3 market was hit pretty bad too, but since a lot of them went into the lease market eventually (and also bmw's tight control on the 09) prices didn't get jacked as bad.

but regardless, for a high performance car, the value of the is-f is unbeatable
Old 05-26-09, 03:10 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

BMW includes service in the price of their cars because cost of service was the main deterent for potential buyers. MBZ "oil-computers" constantly anaylize the quality of the oil & recommend changing when needed. I have heard 25,000 miles is not uncommon. I don't know about BMW since I bought a IS350 over the M3 because of maintenance costs & frequency.

It is important to follow maintenence requirements of the manufacturer rather than the dealer

Quick Reply: My IS-F appreciation thread (and sort of a Vent)