IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

M3 vs ISF round 5002

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 09:46 AM
Bpower
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve727
A 335i with a computer upgrade can spank a M3 I've heard so don't quote me on that. Lol
You can make a Civic Fast...

This is what I think...When they R&D the car and make it for say 400 hp they don't max out the engine internals and drive train so it doesn't run on the brink of breaking down. 335i could be faster, sure but its at its mechanical limits. Furthermore that would make it more unreliable than it already is. Upping the boost isnt enough, they need to upgrade EVERYTHING to make it stock like reliable.

I think Lexus thought further and equipped the F with oil scavenging pump, titanium valves and from what I read it doesn't get as much carbon deposits. So in the long run it will outlast 335 and M3.

Does anyone know how much ISF could handle power wise and stay relaible?
Old 07-28-11, 09:53 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I love BMW owners when they brag about how well their cars handle... and later they freak out about camber wear on the front & rear tires of their new 3/5/6/7 series. 12,000 miles out of the rear tires on a 328i.

How do you suppose BMW gets those cars to handle so well?

Let's be honest: nobody wants to own a BMW that is out of warranty. NOBODY.
Old 07-28-11, 10:17 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ That's right, that's why I traded in my E46 M3. The M3 still tugs at my heart though. I can understand why some diehard M owners will argue in the face of STATISTICS that show how "reliable" BMWs are.
Old 07-28-11, 10:27 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
I had the opportunity to race a new M3 the other day on the freeway. I beat him by a half a car length from 60-100. He kept accelerating to about 120, which I didn't not want to as I did not feel comfortable/safe with traffic. I would say that the cars are fairly evenly matched, but the Lexus interior blows away the M3. Not to mention, I don't have to deal with BMtroubleU's reliability problems. :P
Well put, I raced an e92 m3 from 2 different speeds (did the 3-honk thing), 40-100, then 60-140. Beat him both times by MULTIPLE CAR LENGTHS. I have my story posted in the Racing/Enthusiast section of this forum. Next time I will hopefully have a passenger that wasn't scared to take a video of it (I'll bring a guy instead of a girl next time)
Old 07-28-11, 10:32 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bpower
Sorry to bring this up from dead but I argued all night wth 335i owners ( I dont know what got into me) till the point when I got banned from bimmerforum for a whole month! LOL They kept telling me that stock 335i would beat an ISF
They are just wrong
Stock 335i vs stock IS-F = IS-F wins
Tuned 335i vs stock IS-F = 335i wins
Old 07-28-11, 10:43 AM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by yemgi
They are just wrong
Stock 335i vs stock IS-F = IS-F wins
Tuned 335i vs stock IS-F = 335i wins
Funny thing is...I had a 335i...Traded it for an F
I build it in my garage, did the M3 suspension bits swap with bmw performance, Dinan S2 with intake,it was sad to let it go but then I didnt want to hang on to the problems. Each time I went to the dealer they gave me a run around. I learned every service writers 1st and last name and almost knew all the techs back in the shop in less than a year.

It was sad lastnight that other ex buddies flamed me to the point when I argued with them so much defending a better car (F) to a point that they banned me...LOL

Last edited by Bpower; 07-28-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 12:20 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to a Bimmer meet the other night. And I could tell they were impressed with my F lol.
Old 07-28-11, 12:26 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know how much ISF could handle power wise and stay relaible?
we'll never know because we cant touch the ecu.

Reading the thread, a lot of m3 owners bag on the lexus because it has a bigger displacement; I would imagine lexus did it on purpose so that the engine would be smoother and more reliable. If lexus wanted to make a smaller engine with more power they could: LFA 4.8 L with 552 hp.
Old 07-28-11, 12:41 PM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
I went to a Bimmer meet the other night. And I could tell they were impressed with my F lol.
They probably did one of those numbers where they liked it and wanted to stare but tried really not to! Just like when you out with your gf/wife and see a chick with nice butt and try really hard not to look.LOL

My F before I clayed it and waxed it. I was amazed how dirty it was.

Old 07-28-11, 12:46 PM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by edgeucated
we'll never know because we cant touch the ecu.

Reading the thread, a lot of m3 owners bag on the lexus because it has a bigger displacement; I would imagine lexus did it on purpose so that the engine would be smoother and more reliable. If lexus wanted to make a smaller engine with more power they could: LFA 4.8 L with 552 hp.
My dad used to be a space engineer and he said its about 25 % cushion that you could up the power and obvoiusly when you do your reliability and risk goes up. So from 400 hp its about 100 more you can do before stuff starts breaking so about half of that should be safe = headers, pretty much maxed out your safety net. Thats when you drive hard. Better to leave it alone though.
Old 07-28-11, 12:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

My dad used to be a space engineer and he said its about 25 % cushion that you could up the power and obvoiusly when you do your reliability and risk goes up. So from 400 hp its about 100 more you can do before stuff starts breaking so about half of that should be safe = headers, pretty much maxed out your safety net. Thats when you drive hard. Better to leave it alone though.
That's not Toyota's philosophy. For example, the 2JZ-GTE was rated at 320 hp at the crank, but the fuel system is good to nearly 500 hp at the wheel and it's the limiting factor for power - the stock long block will go to 800 hp unmodified. While it's true some of the NA versions of this engine had significantly weaker rods than the turbo version, they'll still let you nearly double the stock power before they become the limiting factor.

It would not surprise me at all if the engine's internals are good to 650 - 700 hp with good reliability (not GREAT, but definitely good). It's just the way Toyota does things.
Old 07-28-11, 01:48 PM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's not Toyota's philosophy. For example, the 2JZ-GTE was rated at 320 hp at the crank, but the fuel system is good to nearly 500 hp at the wheel and it's the limiting factor for power - the stock long block will go to 800 hp unmodified. While it's true some of the NA versions of this engine had significantly weaker rods than the turbo version, they'll still let you nearly double the stock power before they become the limiting factor.

It would not surprise me at all if the engine's internals are good to 650 - 700 hp with good reliability (not GREAT, but definitely good). It's just the way Toyota does things.
I hope Lexus engineer could step in on this one. (joking)
If your theory is true then I would like a nice SC system on mine that is well put together and has no issues.
Old 07-28-11, 03:36 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

M3 sucks, especially when you take emotion out of the picture

30000 millionaire
Old 07-28-11, 03:56 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im a member on bimmerforums.com since ive owned many M3's and currently have a 1997 e36 M3. Great boards. LOTS of activities. BMW's are definitely great vehicles. I rather have my Lexus tho
Old 07-28-11, 03:58 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they are bitter cause our car is better looking
and the 2011 is better
id be sad too if I had a car that I thought was sooooo good till about 70000 when it falls apart

Quick Reply: M3 vs ISF round 5002