IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla axle-back exhaust just installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 01:39 PM
geneva
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla axle-back exhaust just installed

OK guys just installed the Borla axle back and it's everything I had hoped for!! Fit and finish are excellent (per photos), system at idle has very deep rich tone and slightly louder than stock but much deeper sound quality. At steady cruise again nice mellow tone but more pronounced than stock. At heavy to WOT WOW!! it really barks but again with a classic big block V8 sound quality. This system in IMO has really added to the personality of the car !! I haven't turned the radio on since I had it installed! As a side note although I didn't weight the stock vs. Borla system, from carrying them around I would estimate a 20 lb. weight saving. The stock system is a "boat anchor"! If your priority for an exhaust is primarily sound with some increase in HP (@ 10-12) this is it!!! Just took sound video comparisons between Joe-z (DRE1615 car) and borla axle-back (my car). Will be posted by DRE1615 later today.

Last edited by geneva; 05-25-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-25-09, 01:47 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

lol i think in your last picture you have the mufflers flipped left from right.

but anywho, get those sound clips up ASAP!
Old 05-25-09, 02:22 PM
geneva
Rookie

yeah, I noticed sorry about that but you get the drift. I will add that the dual muffler outlets line up perfectly with the stock diffusers and the "Y" pipe tucks up nice and tight. The two pipe connectors are also not visible form the rear.
Old 05-25-09, 02:34 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badass. sound clips please!!
Old 05-25-09, 04:15 PM
todd03blow
Driver School Candidate

looks good
Old 05-25-09, 05:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice new mod...what shade tints do you have?? is it 35% by chance. Thanks!
Old 05-25-09, 06:09 PM
geneva
Rookie

yes 35% good eye!!! Also have Lexon Lip which is not really clear in the photo and Joe-Z Intake w/Toms' Filter. Have Hawk Performance Ceramic pads on order thru group buy and will provide a review when I get them installed. NO MORE #!*# brake dust!!!
Old 05-25-09, 07:38 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Very nice, looks good
Old 05-26-09, 07:16 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to burst your bubble but I have to tell you the finish of the Borla mufflers is not near the quality of the JoeZ or other systems I have used in the past IE, Corsa, B&B.
Old 05-26-09, 09:55 AM
geneva
Rookie

I found the finish to be very good and the fit was excellent. Certainly not the highly polished appearance of the Joe Z but how often are you crawling under your car to admire it?? Also if you want to get technical I believe the Joe Z system is using a stock muffler (not sure who's) where the Borla is manufactured specifically for the IS-F. Not suggesting one is better than the other but your attempt to diss the Borla over something this trivial is disappointing.
Old 05-26-09, 10:01 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I really like the Borla mufflers. Could care less about the finish on them. The fact that it was specifically made for the IS-F with the quad tips to match the rear diffusers is great!
Old 05-26-09, 10:39 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

"disappointing", that's funny, anyway, when we pay the prices we pay for these systems I for one expect everything to be top notch, not only the fit, the finish, the design every part of it. I am not attempting to degrade you in anyway just stating my opinion. But you really need to take a close look at the fit, and finish of other systems as a comparison. You can get a pretty good feel for what I am talking about by checking out systems like I mentioned earlier Corsa, Billy Boat, and plenty of others. I have never been a fan of Borla, I just thought they could have produced a better product, so I would not use them on my vehicles. I have used Corsa, and B&B, and I will tell you the JoeZ has the same quality IMO. Check the links below to get a feel for these other systems but keep in mind they do not make an exhaust for our cars at this time and may never, but at least you can visually see the difference in quality.

Corsa, click on the link and go to product images.

http://www.corsaperf.com/corsaProduc...x?id=64&type=1

B&B just click on the link.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/
Old 05-26-09, 08:53 PM
geneva
Rookie

"bursting my bubble" that's funny to. The intent of my post was to share my impressions and experience with a new product that many on the forum have expressed an interest in learning more about. I made no attempt to compare one system vs. another and tried to post representative photos so all could draw their own conclusions. IMO is the Borla system well made? yes, did it fit properly? yes was perfect, does it have the sound quality I was looking for? YES, does it have a highly polished chrome finish? NO ( seems to be one of your hot buttons as a measure of "quality"), does it need to in THIS application? IMO no since it's not visible but once again to each his own. Cheers

Last edited by geneva; 05-26-09 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 10:03 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Originally Posted by geneva
"bursting my bubble" that's funny to. The intent of my post was to share my impressions and experience with a new product that many on the forum have expressed an interest in learning more about. I made no attempt to compare one system vs. another and tried to post representative photos so all could draw their own conclusions. IMO is the Borla system well made? yes, did it fit properly? yes was perfect, does it have the sound quality I was looking for? YES, does it have a highly polished chrome finish? NO ( seems to be one of your hot buttons as a measure of "quality"), does it need to in THIS application? IMO no since it's not visible but once again to each his own. Cheers
IMO you said " i made no attempt to compare one system vs. another "
Then why did you post 2 youtube vid's of each exhaust ?
Old 05-26-09, 10:33 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gemini1
IMO you said " i made no attempt to compare one system vs. another "
Then why did you post 2 youtube vid's of each exhaust ?
That's true, but to be fair... the vids only show the differences in sound between the exhausts, and there were no comments made regarding which one was better. Someone needs to chill out.

IMO, the looks of an exhaust only matters if the tips and/or muffler are clearly seen, and the visual build quality of the exhaust only matters if it affects longevity and/or reliability. It comes down to price, power gains, and sound.

Quick Reply: Borla axle-back exhaust just installed