IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My Borla exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 07:16 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the joe z exhaust and use my iphone via bluetooth constantly. but there are noise issues...

while in 'D' mode under normal acceleration there is a heavy and deep rumble/drone/noise whatever you wanna call it. the rpm's are between 1k-2k. but when it reaches the highest gear it can handle at cruising speed the noise becomes almost unnoticeable.

while in 'M' i usually only go to gear 3 in city joy riding. the noise from 1-2k is not a deep as in 'D' mode. and there's a little noise between 2-3k but between 3-4k there's a beautiful roar that makes it hard to hear on the phone, especially if the windows are down. but then again, windows down during a phone conversation is almost always a losing battle.

Last edited by malujerry; 06-04-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-04-09, 07:57 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the bluetooth and have the Joe Z installed. I haven't had any problems hearing those on the phone while driving at any speed or accelerating nor have I had any complaints from those on the other side. I do get the occasional "slow down, I can hear you stomping on the car" or "man, you drive fast"
Old 06-04-09, 08:22 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear the Borla didn't work out for you, thanks for testing it out and sounds like it's way too loud for me as well if that's the case.

All my cars are loud as well (except my suv) and I want this car to be able to carry conversations with either passengers or using my Bluetooth.

For those of you with the JoeZ exhaust, are you saying the system is "quieter" than the Borla?

Also this comment about the JoeZ exhaust not being CA smog legal...anyone care to elaborate? I would hate to have to remove this each time I need to smog the car!
Old 06-04-09, 10:04 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s4play
Sorry to hear the Borla didn't work out for you, thanks for testing it out and sounds like it's way too loud for me as well if that's the case.

All my cars are loud as well (except my suv) and I want this car to be able to carry conversations with either passengers or using my Bluetooth.

For those of you with the JoeZ exhaust, are you saying the system is "quieter" than the Borla?

Also this comment about the JoeZ exhaust not being CA smog legal...anyone care to elaborate? I would hate to have to remove this each time I need to smog the car!
I have had the JoeZ Exhaust for several months now, and first of all I love it. When I first installed it I thought it was a bit too loud around the 2K RPM range while accelerating, but as time went on it seemed to quiet down, or I just got used to it. My feeling now is I would not want this car with out it.

As for conversations I have had many passengers in my car and we carry on conversations just fine. I use the bluetooth frequently, and it too works just fine. Keep in mind the only time the exhaust is loud at all is during acceleration, while coasting or cruising it tones way down. Get a ride in someones car and check it out for yourself. I am in Huntington Beach if you are ever in the area I will give you a ride in mine.

As for CA smog, it will not pass a visual inspection because the secondary cats are removed. But keep in mind we do not have to have cars smogged for 6 years, and most of us do not keep cars that long. Besides the visual inspection is to to make sure the primary cats are there and have not been moved rarely do they look for the secondary cats unless the car does not pass the sniffer.
Old 06-04-09, 11:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Comment from JoeZ

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Glad you didn't go for the Full Exhaust... It would have been louder for sure..

Lou
Old 06-04-09, 07:37 PM
makena88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, text me and come on over to the house and you can hear it. At crusing speed 80MPH (heh heh) it's got a drone. But maybe over time it may not. I've put about 150 miles on the car since Monday. I do notice a little difference but not enough. Funny thing is wifey won't drive the car until I put the stock one back on. (maybe that's a good thing)
Old 06-04-09, 08:15 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone, let's keep this thread on the topic of the Borla exhaust system. There are plenty of other threads in which to discuss the PTS exhaust.

Javier
Old 06-04-09, 08:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^They're both exhaust systems. Comparisons are inevitable. JoeZ has even entered the discussion of this exhaust. I don't mean that in a bad way, his posts are always insightful and knowledgeable. But again, IMHO, it would be hard to keep the PTS exhaust out of this discussion.

Lou
Old 06-05-09, 01:19 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Understood Lou, we just want to keep the Borla in the discussion. Comparisons are great, but these threads have a way of becoming about the PTS exhaust...

Javier
Old 02-24-10, 02:30 PM
jbracefan1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by makena88
Took about 25 minutes TOTAL for the boys at Sonic MS to take off the stock exhaust and put on the Borla.

Rich deep tone, we will see how it will sound after it breaks in. I can care less about the HP gain, I just wanted more sound out of the V8.

I'll let you guys know by next week if the wife and kids hate it. If so it will be up for sale.

Sorry JoeZ, I had to go with Borla exhaust (California smog)

Here are the pics:

|

thanks for posting all the pics it helped me decide to get mine
Old 02-24-10, 02:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i was debating between the borla and PTS exhaust system. clark at vip really helped me out on this one. it was my first time ever modding a car, and though the PTS has the secondary cat delete, i chose to go with that one. im glad that someone posted up pics of the borla installed. i honestly wished i had taken pics of when my exhaust was being installed. my 02 sensor somehow got bent, so clark ended up having to get another one before installing the exhaust. dont know how that happened, but luckily he was able to find one or else i would not have been able to drive home last week. my only worry now would be when it comes time to smog check the car in the near future. hopefully it passes.
Old 02-24-10, 02:50 PM
makena88
Pole Position

Glad you guys all enjoyed the pictures. I'm still happy with the stock exhaust and my family thanks me for that. But really.... if it was just my own car for me to drive only I probably would have went with JoeZ's exhaust. I was hoping the Borla would give me a little taste of a throatier exhaust but I got a little more than I wanted (Drone)

But it sound great when it started in the garage

Steven
Old 02-24-10, 03:18 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^No this is the axle back system. AFIK, no one on any of the Lexus forums has the Borla cat back system.

Lou

i have borla catback..
Old 02-24-10, 03:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
i have borla catback..
How do you like it? How's the workmanship? Notice anymore power? How's it sound? Care to take some pics? I know lotsa questions

Lou
Old 02-24-10, 03:43 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
How do you like it? How's the workmanship? Notice anymore power? How's it sound? Care to take some pics? I know lotsa questions

Lou
lol um.. i got some pictures of it during install
untill now i've had it for about 9 month now...
my friends and i think sound is good however it does have droone sound when its really really hot and its loud...
it feels like it gained some power but cant prove it without dyno...
one problem is that some of them might have fitment issue but it is easily adjusted...

here are some pictures

Last edited by n0th1ng; 02-24-10 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: My Borla exhaust installed