IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The IS-F need a hp jump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 10:10 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Arrow The IS-F need a hp jump?

When the IS-F went on sale in early 2008, its 416 hp and 371lb-ft torque engine is absolutely top of the line. But now some american pony cars start to join the 400+hp camp in a much lower price range.

For example, the new Camaro SS has 426hp and 420 lb-ft torque, with a invoice only $28k, that's approx. $23k less than the ISF.

Yes I know they are not in the same competition market, but I don't think Lexus should lose the horsepower game. Especially, if one day I am driving the $50k+ ISF on the road and find out the next-lane $28k Camaro has more powerful engine than mine, I surely won't feel really good.

Bottom line, with the apparent differences in the finer interior design and craftmanship, now for the 2010+ model, Lexus should provide a more powerful engine to justify the $23+ higher premium.
Old 06-02-09, 10:16 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or... they should make more parts for the ISF and keep us ahead of the rest.

That will keep me happy =)
Old 06-02-09, 10:19 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

I think the F is fine where it is. You get both luxury and power.
Old 06-02-09, 10:21 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm sure it will increase in horsepower. hopefully it will be from a smaller engine/faster tranny/lighter car version.
Old 06-02-09, 10:25 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

So when your guys think the F will get a facelift (I mean the engine will be upgraded)?
Old 06-02-09, 10:41 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

What a ghey thread

Go buy a Civic and mod the ****e out of it so u can win the hp war and feel good about your car.
Old 06-02-09, 11:34 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
What a ghey thread

Go buy a Civic and mod the ****e out of it so u can win the hp war and feel good about your car.
No offense, to my true surprise, a ISF owner here showed such an immature attitude.
Old 06-02-09, 11:38 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by felixcat
When the IS-F went on sale in early 2008, its 416 hp and 371lb-ft torque engine is absolutely top of the line. But now some american pony cars start to join the 400+hp camp in a much lower price range.

For example, the new Camaro SS has 426hp and 420 lb-ft torque, with a invoice only $28k, that's approx. $23k less than the ISF.

Yes I know they are not in the same competition market, but I don't think Lexus should lose the horsepower game. Especially, if one day I am driving the $50k+ ISF on the road and find out the next-lane $28k Camaro has more powerful engine than mine, I surely won't feel really good.

Bottom line, with the apparent differences in the finer interior design and craftmanship, now for the 2010+ model, Lexus should provide a more powerful engine to justify the $23+ higher premium.
If you are buying an IS-F for the power alone, you better pack up your toys go home now. An IS-F offers so much more than the cars you are comparing them to and I am finding it hard to believe that anyone who owns an "F" right now bought it purely b/c of the engine. I think you need to reassess your priorities when buying a car by the sounds of things.
Old 06-03-09, 12:00 AM
crazee201
Pole Position

No offense, to my true surprise, a ISF owner here showed such an immature attitude.
He may sound immature, but I 100% agree with him. If you're going to compare oranges to apple then this is the response you'll get. Not hating on you and I do understand what you're trying to say. A high end car like the F with some class should not get pushed around but some lower end companies. But think about this, if you really care so much about hp why not get a car where you can put 10k-20k worth of stuff and mod the hell out of it. Get the enormous amount of hp and race the F or compare it. Makes no sense if you're going to do a comparison about the hp.
Old 06-03-09, 05:55 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Smile

Originally Posted by crazee201
He may sound immature, but I 100% agree with him. If you're going to compare oranges to apple then this is the response you'll get. Not hating on you and I do understand what you're trying to say. A high end car like the F with some class should not get pushed around but some lower end companies. But think about this, if you really care so much about hp why not get a car where you can put 10k-20k worth of stuff and mod the hell out of it. Get the enormous amount of hp and race the F or compare it. Makes no sense if you're going to do a comparison about the hp.
Yes as I have said in the original post, they are not in the same competition market. But what I believe is, buyer of the F is more performance oriented than luxury oriented, or else they will go with the IS350, which offer almost the same interior/luxury (though the 350 does not come with the cf trim).

So bottom line, Lexus *should* do better for the engine. Think about that, the M3 squeezes 414hp out of a 4L NA V8 engine, Lexus should work out a version of its 5L V8 that produce much more hp than the current 416hp figure.
Old 06-03-09, 07:10 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I'd prefer that Lexus made the F 200-300lbs lighter that adding even 1 more hp.
Old 06-03-09, 07:12 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

The F is already faster than 95% of the cars I see on a daily basis. If you want more HP then by a toy and mod the hell out of it. But you will find that you will always come across someone with more HP. The F to me is a perfect blend of luxury and performance.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 06-03-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 07:14 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Yes as I have said in the original post, they are not in the same competition market. But what I believe is, buyer of the F is more performance oriented than luxury oriented, or else they will go with the IS350, which offer almost the same interior/luxury (though the 350 does not come with the cf trim).

So bottom line, Lexus *should* do better for the engine. Think about that, the M3 squeezes 414hp out of a 4L NA V8 engine, Lexus should work out a version of its 5L V8 that produce much more hp than the current 416hp figure.
Exactly like you say, the new M3 just came out and why does it only have 414hp? wouldnt the M3 owner feel dumb for paying $65-70k for their M3 when they could have just picked up the camaro for 28? Seriously, you really think your gonna be able to find a camaro for 28k? I just priced one out, a comparably equipped camaro cost $40k. If your in it for Hp, then you picked the wrong car, You are comparing a IsF, a well thought out, well balanced, performance/luxury car. compared to a car thats just slapped together squeezing the vette engine into it. Dont get me wrong, the camaro is a nice looking car and everything but like most member say, you are comparing an apple with an orange. My 93 civic did 12.7@116 on the track and it only costed me a total of $12k for the entire build including the car, so you trying to tell me I overpaid $40k+ for my IsF to be as fast as my civic?
Old 06-03-09, 07:17 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I'd prefer that Lexus made the F 200-300lbs lighter that adding even 1 more hp.
Im the same way. I already make real good power, i only setback right now is weight.

Question? Didnt the 5 Axis isf make 515whp all motor with a 5.7 stroker kit?
Old 06-03-09, 07:21 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the PTS exhaust. get another 20hp to the wheels.

Quick Reply: The IS-F need a hp jump?