IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Question for all IS-F owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 11:42 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, to make it seem more understandable, its like a customer with a nail in the tire. If the tire has 25% tread left, most "richer" clients would replace the tire, maybe even in pairs. but Not as rich clients are probably gonna pay $20 to patch it up and run on it for another little bit. the rich clients are gonna ask, why waste $20 to patch up a tire when you can use that towards the purchase of the new tires. You get what Im trying to say?
Old 06-12-09, 12:14 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Dont get me wrong, I know you never get back what you put in to the car especially aftermarket parts, but you gotta see it from "our" standpoint. My man at the present moment probably has an issue here or there and cant jump on the deal for a 08 IsF. If money wasnt an issue, im pretty sure he would buy the car, but he is at a point where he hates driving his lexus stock and cant 100% get the IsF yet. so he rather spend the $2000-2500 to make his car look still presentable for the time being and hopefully after 2 years get back $1000-1500 on his mods. yeah, high $40s for a new IsF is a banging deal for a $62k msrp car but $48k is still $48k , its like the price of a house in some areas. lol
...Well, what would you say if I tell you I CAN afford even a brand new one right now; which is true. However, I do NOT have MILLIONS of dollars in the bank so you have to be SMART in this type of economy where you CAN lose your job tomorrow - and who want to be out of a job and be stuck with a $1000 car payment!? lol. I am being smart right now and also putting into the consideration of my wife which some men don't do. She would like to start a family soon and I also have to be sensitive of HER needs. Obviously, eventhough I can afford a payment like this it would be taking THAT MUCH away from us starting a family...regardless of the money in my bank account.

Oh, and I am NOT unhappy with my ride. Just bouncing ideas back and forth to see if I can JUSTIFY MYSELF spending this amount of money when I just bought a $400K house last year plus a FAT engagement ring plus paid for most of the wedding. It's not easy fella, especially when your only 28.
Old 06-12-09, 12:21 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Hmm, to make it seem more understandable, its like a customer with a nail in the tire. If the tire has 25% tread left, most "richer" clients would replace the tire, maybe even in pairs. but Not as rich clients are probably gonna pay $20 to patch it up and run on it for another little bit. the rich clients are gonna ask, why waste $20 to patch up a tire when you can use that towards the purchase of the new tires. You get what Im trying to say?

There's gotta be a line drawn somewhere. If you are ridiculously loaded then it doesn't matter either way. If you're just "comfortable" and decide to spend money unnecessrily then that's just plain stupid IMHO. Just because one has money doesn't mean that they don't have to shop smart and weigh things out. Oh, and btw MOST of the very wealthy are actually tight with money on many levels. There is no need for waste regardless of what economic class you're in. Stay smart and that's how you'll ALWAYS be ahead in life.

Not saying by any means that I always make the right choices either; just saying that these are good guidelines to live by.
Old 06-12-09, 06:44 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...Well, what would you say if I tell you I CAN afford even a brand new one right now; which is true. However, I do NOT have MILLIONS of dollars in the bank so you have to be SMART in this type of economy where you CAN lose your job tomorrow - and who want to be out of a job and be stuck with a $1000 car payment!? lol. I am being smart right now and also putting into the consideration of my wife which some men don't do. She would like to start a family soon and I also have to be sensitive of HER needs. Obviously, eventhough I can afford a payment like this it would be taking THAT MUCH away from us starting a family...regardless of the money in my bank account.

Oh, and I am NOT unhappy with my ride. Just bouncing ideas back and forth to see if I can JUSTIFY MYSELF spending this amount of money when I just bought a $400K house last year plus a FAT engagement ring plus paid for most of the wedding. It's not easy fella, especially when your only 28.
I am 33 and I can see where you are comming from and you are a smart man thinking of the wife. That is why I bought the "F" for the wife, so she could not complain to me that I never buy her anything. Admittedly she needed an IS-F as much as anyone needs a kick in the teeth. But a present is a present.

If I were in your postion I would buy the kit too. But if there was a way to get the "F" that would be the best option for sure.
Old 06-12-09, 08:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey Rock I've sen you many times on the boards. I have a 99 GS400 as well and i toss and turn the idea of wanting a newer GS all the time.. I have loved the new GS and would do anything to get a Silver GS350. But in regards to job security and starting a family i don't want to be put in a situation where i can't make ends meet. I think your playing it smart.. Not sure i would spent the money on new wheels and a kit since your car looks great already. Take the money and sock it away. In a year or 2 you could have thousands saved up plus the sale of the GS and then you could probably get a new one with a nice down payment.

I'm getting the mod bug again also but not sure if i want to spend the money as well. We all get bored and want something new so i know where your coming from.

Or you could wait 2 years and by then you'll have built up equity in the house and maybe take out a loan.. Just another idea...

Anyway GL..
Old 06-12-09, 08:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Just an FYI.. I went on ebay... Here's a used one for 47k..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 06-12-09, 08:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks for the support to Dave, tmf and the rest of you guys. I love CL; everyone (or most) always gives great advice! Cheers!
Old 06-12-09, 09:14 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I am 33 and I can see where you are comming from and you are a smart man thinking of the wife. That is why I bought the "F" for the wife, so she could not complain to me that I never buy her anything. Admittedly she needed an IS-F as much as anyone needs a kick in the teeth. But a present is a present.

If I were in your postion I would buy the kit too. But if there was a way to get the "F" that would be the best option for sure.
At least I got to keep the F for myself.

I did have to get the wife the Benz though....lol.

If you get the LF-A for yourself, I will hate you forever.
Old 06-12-09, 09:17 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
There's gotta be a line drawn somewhere. If you are ridiculously loaded then it doesn't matter either way. If you're just "comfortable" and decide to spend money unnecessrily then that's just plain stupid IMHO. Just because one has money doesn't mean that they don't have to shop smart and weigh things out. Oh, and btw MOST of the very wealthy are actually tight with money on many levels. There is no need for waste regardless of what economic class you're in. Stay smart and that's how you'll ALWAYS be ahead in life.

Not saying by any means that I always make the right choices either; just saying that these are good guidelines to live by.
Being fiscally responsible is of course important in times like these.

But keep in mind, you can't take it with ya'.

What's the point of living life and hoarding wealth "just in case". As long as your family is secure and comfortable, enjoy what you have. Living in fear of "what if" won't let you enjoy true happiness.

There are much more important things than fast cars and big houses. If you and your new bride are happy and content everything else will work itself out.