Question for all IS-F owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 11:28 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Question for all IS-F owners...

Hello,

I am a 2GS owner ('00 GS400) for the last 6 years; the car was paid off about 6 mos ago. I have just about every "bolt-on" mod short of FI and have probably spent close to $12K (including aftermarket wheels). Also, I just spent (about 4 mos. ago) roughly another $1,500 sourcing a used (discontinued) L-Sportline bodykit that has been sitting in my basement. I was going to have this painted and installed with perhaps a blend into the rest of my car (probably about another $1,500). I have also been in the market for new 19" or 20" wheels that I will allot $3,500 towards. So, all in all I am looking to dump another $5K into my car in the next few weeks and it will be NICE (in my opinion).

Now, I have always loved the IS-F since it came out and have been speaking to the wife (just got married 6 weeks ago) that i would like to "try" to pick one up either next year or the year after. She gave me the go ahead but said it must be used and for $40K or under.

What do you guys feel about purchasing a used IS-F (1-2 years old) with say 15-25k miles on it for this price range?

Should I dump this money into my current GS400 and make it look nice for the time being eventhough I am only going to most likely keep it for only another 1-2 years? or just live with my car looking stock (16" wheels; lol) and save it towards the F in a year or 2?

One to 2 years (especially 2 years) is a long time to not have any wheels (I just sold my 19's thinking I was going to buy different ones right away; now I am undecided on what to do).

As a side note, I "could" potentially get an '08 right now as I have heard of some buying left overs for $42-$44K but with the economy how it is right now I want to hold off as well as the wife.

Also, I just got a new position as of 3 mos. ago and as soon as it picks up (which it looks like it is going to be real soon; just landed a couple of projects) my boss mentioned a $20-$25K increase (pretty much what the previous Controller was making) as I am doing BOTH previous and current (Controller) positions in one; they have not hired an assistant for me as of yet. So there are a couple of "positives" in the pipeline for me in the future.

I just wanted some opinions and suggestions/advice from my fellow CL members. Sorry for the lengthy post guys. Thanks again in advance!

What would you do if you were me?

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 06-10-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 11:37 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait 2 more years, in 2011 I'll sell my IS-F to you for $40,000. That way you, your wife, and me will be very happy! JK
Old 06-10-09, 12:43 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm usually hesitant to buy a used performance car, since it has probably been driven hard or pushed to its limits. However, given the solid reliability of the F, I don't think it would be a problem. However, it might not be easy finding a slightly used one that fits your liking, simply because of the relatively low production numbers on the car.

With that said, if you are going to wait for a year or 2 anyways, might as well worry about it down the line when your job situation is stabilized. Who knows, you might be looking for a new F instead of a used one.

In terms of modding your GS, everyone is gonna have a different opinion (Obviously), but I would be hesitant to dump another 5k into a car that's almost 10 years old. You could easily put that 5k into the down payment for the F. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-09, 01:03 PM
nuttybar08
Driver

A 2 year old IS-F with average miles or below and all service up-to-date would be a safe bet in my opinion, especially if it's CPO certified. I'd save my money until then (ok I might swap the wheels LOL) and go bargain hunting.

If you ever see mine for sale, jump on it. Other than it being my DD and getting an occasional throttle check it gets babied.

By the way I'm never selling it.
Old 06-10-09, 01:05 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

While spending the money on your current car might not make the most fiscal sense, if you really plan to keep the car for up to two years you might as well set it up how you like it. You can always sell the wheels when you get rid of the car and recoup some of your expense. The body kit probably won't bring you any more money when you sell the car, but it might help you sell the car a little faster.

I bought my F used and haven't had any issues. Granted, my car was six months old and had 4800 miles on it. If you find the right used F I don't think you will have any issues. The only problem I foresee is a lack of cars to choose from due to the limited nature of the IS-F.

Congrats on the marriage and job promotion.
Old 06-10-09, 01:59 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i have seen you on 2gen board and no doubt your GS is quick i have read all your stories.
i would honestly say get an ISF, you will not regret it, its a totally different car. I had alot of mods on my GS too, in the end all went to waste, from the wheels to TC to suspension,. I traded my car in just like that i do miss the GS sometimes because it was alot more comfortable. But ISF comes with all the bell and whistles stock, and you can add joe-z exhaust and intake laters.

Get it good luck
Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Hello,

I am a 2GS owner ('00 GS400) for the last 6 years; the car was paid off about 6 mos ago. I have just about every "bolt-on" mod short of FI and have probably spent close to $12K (including aftermarket wheels). Also, I just spent (about 4 mos. ago) roughly another $1,500 sourcing a used (discontinued) L-Sportline bodykit that has been sitting in my basement. I was going to have this painted and installed with perhaps a blend into the rest of my car (probably about another $1,500). I have also been in the market for new 19" or 20" wheels that I will allot $3,500 towards. So, all in all I am looking to dump another $5K into my car in the next few weeks and it will be NICE (in my opinion).

Now, I have always loved the IS-F since it came out and have been speaking to the wife (just got married 6 weeks ago) that i would like to "try" to pick one up either next year or the year after. She gave me the go ahead but said it must be used and for $40K or under.

What do you guys feel about purchasing a used IS-F (1-2 years old) with say 15-25k miles on it for this price range?

Should I dump this money into my current GS400 and make it look nice for the time being eventhough I am only going to most likely keep it for only another 1-2 years? or just live with my car looking stock (16" wheels; lol) and save it towards the F in a year or 2?

One to 2 years (especially 2 years) is a long time to not have any wheels (I just sold my 19's thinking I was going to buy different ones right away; now I am undecided on what to do).

As a side note, I "could" potentially get an '08 right now as I have heard of some buying left overs for $42-$44K but with the economy how it is right now I want to hold off as well as the wife.

Also, I just got a new position as of 3 mos. ago and as soon as it picks up (which it looks like it is going to be real soon; just landed a couple of projects) my boss mentioned a $20-$25K increase (pretty much what the previous Controller was making) as I am doing BOTH previous and current (Controller) positions in one; they have not hired an assistant for me as of yet. So there are a couple of "positives" in the pipeline for me in the future.

I just wanted some opinions and suggestions/advice from my fellow CL members. Sorry for the lengthy post guys. Thanks again in advance!

What would you do if you were me?
Old 06-10-09, 02:28 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I would say hunt around for someone to paint your bodykit for $500, the heck with blending it. lol. get your wheels cause stock rims look like spare tires. The rims dont have to be a $3500 set. go with a nice set of 19 polished or machined finish racing rims, it will set you back like $2000. and who knows whats gonna happen 2 years down the road. they might come out with a GsF.... By then you might have the chedda for a brand new toy instead of a used one.
Old 06-10-09, 03:21 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why install aftermarket parts that will drop the depreciation of your car even further? Pick up a new demo and take advantage of the sales tax rebate thanks to Obama!
Old 06-10-09, 04:49 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well , my opinion is that you should go for it. You should still be able to get one with a warrentee and if you buy CPO it should be extended. I think it would be very hard to "break" an IS-F.

And really what most people are concerned about is the mechanical parts of the car and even an "F" pushed to its limit most days is still, in reality ,not being pushed to its limit. What I mean by that is that Lexus has factored in a lot things and has obviously gone for reliability and the engine and associated parts are built to withstand much more than what the car will allow. Why do you think the M3 has the same HP with a 240 cubic inch engine as oppossed to the IS-F that has a full liter or 300 cubic inche engine over the M? That is a lot of inches to be giving away for the same HP... I believe there is so much more potential in this engine, but lexus choose the relative safe route, which is great IMO and is one more of the small reasons I went with the "F". And honestly I wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 06-10-09, 07:24 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

You guys are the BEST! Thanks for the advice and your opinions. I may still wait and stick to the plan of 1-2 years and for the time being finish these last 2 things (wheels and bodykit) at bargain prices...it doesn't need to be show quality; it just needs to "hold me over" and look nice until I get my F! Thanks!
Old 06-12-09, 12:28 AM
crazee201
Pole Position

There is a noob IS-F owner (name will not be mentioned) was able to break his IS-F(transmission). Now he's getting a new one from the Lexus dealership. =\
Old 06-12-09, 05:59 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
You guys are the BEST! Thanks for the advice and your opinions. I may still wait and stick to the plan of 1-2 years and for the time being finish these last 2 things (wheels and bodykit) at bargain prices...it doesn't need to be show quality; it just needs to "hold me over" and look nice until I get my F! Thanks!
LOL, going my route, I knew it cause thats how I use to roll, lol go to ebay and you probably can find a nice looking set of 20s for $2000 with tires. Im pretty sure theres a million bodyshop in nyc that can do your bodykit for a cheap price. so much competition out there.
Old 06-12-09, 07:02 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
Why install aftermarket parts that will drop the depreciation of your car even further? Pick up a new demo and take advantage of the sales tax rebate thanks to Obama!

Hey malujerry,

Looks like we share a common financial view on things here I would not dump even $1 into that car. IMO I would save the cash and put it directly to the ISF or mods on the ISF. I have been waiting and saving for an ISF since May 2007. Now that I have the cash I am just waiting till I find a new job and then I will be on the hunt for an USB 2008 ISF If there are still any out there

I was thinking about waiting till the 2011 model year roles out, but I am worried about ISF still being in production. Since the enlighten one, Nobama mandated the higher miles per gallon and stricter emissions standards for manufacturers.
Old 06-12-09, 07:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
Hey malujerry,

Looks like we share a common financial view on things here I would not dump even $1 into that car. IMO I would save the cash and put it directly to the ISF or mods on the ISF. I have been waiting and saving for an ISF since May 2007. Now that I have the cash I am just waiting till I find a new job and then I will be on the hunt for an USB 2008 ISF If there are still any out there

I was thinking about waiting till the 2011 model year roles out, but I am worried about ISF still being in production. Since the enlighten one, Nobama mandated the higher miles per gallon and stricter emissions standards for manufacturers.
Malujerry and I nd ISF - I am not too worried about the depreciation of my current 2000 GS400. I have SO MANY mods that it would take a lot more money to take them all off and put the stock parts back on. I mean c'mon what would a dealer give me for my car $8-9K? So, if it drops another 500-1000 over the next year or so AFTER I throw on the kit it's not that big of a deal. A couple of grand isn't going to make or break whether or not I will buy the F down the road. At least for the time being I could still drive my car hot until the last of her days.

Also, regarding the wheels...I could always just sell them for 3/4 or the price 1 year later (might lose ~$600 bucks) or perhaps see if they would fit on my next ride.

The ONLY mods that I would consider taking off (because the net $ effect would be a plus for me are:

- Supra 3.76 TT LSD (Still have the oem 3.23 open diff)

- Apexi Neo a/f controller custom fit in the ashtray with custom PnP harness which I would sell as an entire package (Still have an oem complete ashtray).
Old 06-12-09, 11:38 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
Hey malujerry,

Dont get me wrong, I know you never get back what you put in to the car especially aftermarket parts, but you gotta see it from "our" standpoint. My man at the present moment probably has an issue here or there and cant jump on the deal for a 08 IsF. If money wasnt an issue, im pretty sure he would buy the car, but he is at a point where he hates driving his lexus stock and cant 100% get the IsF yet. so he rather spend the $2000-2500 to make his car look still presentable for the time being and hopefully after 2 years get back $1000-1500 on his mods. yeah, high $40s for a new IsF is a banging deal for a $62k msrp car but $48k is still $48k , its like the price of a house in some areas. lol

Quick Reply: Question for all IS-F owners...