IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 10:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by s4play
that's odd - must be lighting since if yours looks so hollow, then I wonder why this IS-F doesn't the white IS-F on the 1st page have the same problem?
^^^ Indoor vs Ourdoor lighting...

This is one of the reasons why I decided to keep the OEM mesh...

Dark Gray Matte to compliment my wheels....

Joe Z
Old 07-28-09, 10:17 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's odd - must be lighting since if yours looks so hollow, then I wonder why this IS-F doesn't the white IS-F on the 1st page have the same problem?
I sent a PM to the guy with the white F with the similar grille and he said it's just the lighting. He said mine looks the same as his. Regarding mine, in person from a head on view it does look a bit too empty for me. If I could find a thicker mesh, perhaps I would try that.
Old 07-28-09, 10:39 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke
I sent a PM to the guy with the white F with the similar grille and he said it's just the lighting. He said mine looks the same as his. Regarding mine, in person from a head on view it does look a bit too empty for me. If I could find a thicker mesh, perhaps I would try that.

hmmm your mesh already looks pretty "fine" from the pictures - not sure what else you can do. Certainly you can't block the area behind the grill as you need airflow.

After seeing your pictures I may just use my oem grill painted gloss black like JoeZ
Old 07-29-09, 08:31 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

hmmm your mesh already looks pretty "fine" from the pictures - not sure what else you can do. Certainly you can't block the area behind the grill as you need airflow.

After seeing your pictures I may just use my oem grill painted gloss black like JoeZ
Yea, I dunno. It's tough to say. In person, the opening isn't really THAT eye grabbing, so I'm kinda torn. When I see it in person, it looks pretty good (but could be a bit better if the mesh was thicker perhaps), but those pictures I took magnify the opening a bit. I looked at it this morning before I went to work and was like, "Hmm, it doesn't look bad." If you were local, I'd say come on by and check it out.

Anyway, if you do stay with the OEM grille, I think color matching the bezel and just doing your inner grille in black would look best. Just my opinion!
Old 07-29-09, 08:52 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ilocke
Yea, I dunno. It's tough to say. In person, the opening isn't really THAT eye grabbing, so I'm kinda torn. When I see it in person, it looks pretty good (but could be a bit better if the mesh was thicker perhaps), but those pictures I took magnify the opening a bit. I looked at it this morning before I went to work and was like, "Hmm, it doesn't look bad." If you were local, I'd say come on by and check it out.

Anyway, if you do stay with the OEM grille, I think color matching the bezel and just doing your inner grille in black would look best. Just my opinion!

Where did you get your plastic mesh from? I'm toying with the idea of using the plastic mesh that comes on the e46 m3 lower grill.

After studying the oem grill, the problem with mesh is NOT the how close the mesh is but rather the Thickness (front to back) of the mesh. The OEM grill has rather large holes but because it's thick, at most viewing angles it shows up as more beefy and hides the view better.

So what we need is a plastic mesh that has more thickness to it front to back....I would say 1/2" - 3/4" in thickness is best.

The IDEAL mesh grill would be the OEM grill mesh "without" the Lexus logo but no way to remove it from what I can see....

Has anyone used an "F" sport logo on the OEM grill?

rick

Last edited by s4play; 07-29-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 09:27 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

I got the mesh from eBay (as did Darshana with the white F on page one). If you do a search for "mesh grille" on eBay, you'll find the stuff I got. It's not plastic though. It's aluminum.

I agree, the ideal grille would be the OEM grille without the "L" and I looked into seeing if that could come off, but there's no way. The plastic is different behind the "L". There's no weave. Best I could think of is to maybe buy another OEM lower grille, then cut it and make an upper grille out of it. I think the weave is the same, but it might be spread out more on the lower grille. I haven't looked.

If you find a thicker mesh somewhere, lemme know!
Old 07-29-09, 09:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ The lower plastic grill holes are way larger and would actually create more open space to see through...

Maybe double up the aluminum mesh, but a bit offset from behind..??

Joe Z
Old 07-29-09, 11:05 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought about doubling up the mesh when I made my grill but it looked tacky so I just went with one layer. It really doesn't look bad in normal lighting and the F logo I used help draw your eye away from the crap visible behind the grill. I love how my grill came out and get a lot of compliments about how it turned out...Darshana
Old 07-29-09, 01:11 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I thought about doubling up the mesh when I made my grill but it looked tacky so I just went with one layer. It really doesn't look bad in normal lighting and the F logo I used help draw your eye away from the crap visible behind the grill. I love how my grill came out and get a lot of compliments about how it turned out...Darshana
Ahh, yea the F logo probably does help.

I've got an idea I'm going to try. I'll post results. It may be a week or something. I'm going to take some sort of material (the idea is plastic), cut it to size, and paint it gloss black. Then I'm going to stick it to the horns so that it's still providing coverage, but does not cover the grille nor restricts air from coming in. We'll see how it looks...
Old 07-29-09, 03:43 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe just relocate the horns? It may look a little less noticeable.
Old 07-29-09, 06:59 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

I have my IS-F grill off the car and can see into the big gaping space. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to block that area with a piece of ABS since I'm sure Lexus wanted airflow into the radiator through the grill.

Relocating the horns is easy if necessary but I'm going to do some more experimenting here.
Old 07-29-09, 07:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I have my IS-F grill off the car and can see into the big gaping space. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to block that area with a piece of ABS since I'm sure Lexus wanted airflow into the radiator through the grill.

Relocating the horns is easy if necessary but I'm going to do some more experimenting here.
Yeah I agree..

Horns can be relocated easily.. just have to extend the wires and ground them with a conductive self tapping screw or nut & bolt

Joe Z
Old 07-29-09, 08:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

For kicks.... here is what my IS350 looked like with an Authentic Blitz Carbon Fiber Grill...

They never made one for the IS-F

Old 07-31-09, 03:48 PM
VSL-F
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have done, I had the grill surround and grill painted obsidian black. I think it looks good with the black pearl emblem.
Attached Thumbnails Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?-imgp0046.jpg  
Old 07-31-09, 09:51 PM
agtuning
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carbon front grills and others

Originally Posted by Joe Z
For kicks.... here is what my IS350 looked like with an Authentic Blitz Carbon Fiber Grill...

They never made one for the IS-F

How about this ones, they are made for the ISF.

Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?-o0720054010195063229.jpg

Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?-o0800053310209822711.jpg

Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?-o0800053310209829576.jpg

Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?-o0800053310209829642.jpg

Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?-o0800053310210735220.jpg

Quick Reply: Front Grill choices for the IS-F thread! Options we have?