IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

G8 GXP or IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 09:53 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The G8 GXP, with a 402 hp 6.2 liter Corvette engine under the hood.

If any of you guys like watching racing, you will see Pontiac's on the race track.

I have yet to see any is-f on the race track in the states, in Japan different story.

I think the only issue with Pontiac, as other have said, is RELIABILITY...

G8 Gxp Test

Pontiac G8 GXP Sebring May 2009

Pontiac G8 GXP Sebring May Part 2

Last edited by t0e; 06-15-09 at 10:35 PM. Reason: U-tube!
Old 06-16-09, 07:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the decision is between a Lexus and a Pontiac, the decision is pretty easy in favor of the Lexus IMHO. The only compelling and true need for some is a roomy and more usable backseat that favors the Pontiac.
Old 06-16-09, 04:54 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If the decision is between a Lexus and a Pontiac, the decision is pretty easy in favor of the Lexus IMHO. The only compelling and true need for some is a roomy and more usable backseat that favors the Pontiac.
See the problem with the statement above is that not all people are LEXUS FANS. When they see the Pontiac and Lexus together they might think about how Pontiacs are more well known for there performance and Lexus is known for its comfort. So IS-SV remember that all performance car buyers dont run toward Lexus IS-F
Old 06-16-09, 04:56 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

t0e do you think a G8 can handle GMR?
Old 06-16-09, 05:20 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

I would choose the IS-F over the G8 any day. Hands down. But to the G8's defense, it doesn't look as bad as other pontiacs like the G5 or G6. I saw a Motoring 2009 episode that reviewed the G8, and supposedly its a re-badged Vauxhall from Australia or something. Which is why there probably is a difference in the build quality.

But yeah, there is no contest. IS-F FTMFW!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-09, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
See the problem with the statement above is that not all people are LEXUS FANS. When they see the Pontiac and Lexus together they might think about how Pontiacs are more well known for there performance and Lexus is known for its comfort. So IS-SV remember that all performance car buyers dont run toward Lexus IS-F
No need for me to remember.* You don't have to be a Lexus fan to appreciate the power, speed, built quality, and reliability of the Lexus IS-F.* A shpper of the IS-F will most likely consider a C63 and M3 also.

Despite Pontiacs old history of performance, its most recent history is about poor quality, poorly styled cars and huge monetary losses for the division, leading to the elimination of the Pontiac division.
Old 06-17-09, 10:10 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

is pontiac still in business??
Old 06-17-09, 03:06 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by verals05
I think the car sounds way better than the ISF. Youtube the G8 GXP w/ Corsa Exhaust.... thats hott..
It does sound pretty amazing. I don't think that the GXPs are flying off of the lots though. They didn't make very many of them but many are still on the lot.

The reliability of this Pontiac (psst, it's really a Holden) should be pretty good. The GTO was pretty reliable. Will it be Lexus/Toyota reliable? No, but the average is so good now that it shouldn't be an issue. I'd be worried about two things, parts availability and the shear size of the thing...it's a bit of a boat. Oh, make that three, unless you plan to keep it 'till the wheels fall off the resale will be bad too.

Last edited by CRB; 06-17-09 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-17-09, 03:20 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

What??? I think this thread should be closed before it gets out of control. There's no comparison. Apples to oranges are even closer compare to this thread.
Old 06-17-09, 05:56 PM
LexFather

I have to say its disheartning to read some of the comments. We chastise German car owners for calling a Lexus "just a Toyota" and here we are beating up the G8 GXP which truly is a sensational car.

Its not even a Pontiac, its a Holden.

Old 06-17-09, 06:13 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

I wouldn't buy GM in the good times and now even moreso in bad times. THe cars are built poorly...period. They may feel right when you first own it , but later down the road the car loosens up, in every aspect.

I can't believe the OP would consider the GX8 against the IS-F. As many have said, GM is going bye-bye and they will have to rise from the ashes, in order to do business on US soil. This should be a lesson to all the US manufacturers to take a lesson from the Japanese auto.

Get the F, you won't be disappointed. Oh a dn the resale value would be better as well
Old 06-17-09, 11:50 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to say its disheartning to read some of the comments. We chastise German car owners for calling a Lexus "just a Toyota" and here we are beating up the G8 GXP which truly is a sensational car.

Its not even a Pontiac, its a Holden.
Nah, the G8 is a nice car. When I see it on the road I give it a second look. Props to Pontiac for putting it out, it's just wrong timing like the CTS-V. With that said, when you compare it to the F then it is simply outclassed, and you can't really deny that. The luxury, amenities, quality, and even performance is not quite there. What else can I say? It also speaks volumes that a lot of F owners (Who are generally open minded btw) didn't even give the G8 a look. Now, by no means is the G8 a bad car at all, but just cuz it has a big engine and 4 doors doesn't mean it's suddenly comparable to the F. Sorry.

I'd say that the responses are very civilized consider that the OP insinuated that the F is slower than the 350, and that it looks childish and people laugh at it. This is not the first time we've seen other car owners jump into this forum to try to justify their purchase. All I have to say is, enjoy what you have, and if you have doubts, trade it in for an F. You won't regret it.
Old 06-18-09, 08:30 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

why not get a lancer and save more money? lexus's old ad guy did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV6Bh_aHuY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyf_EGgzYvo
Old 06-18-09, 12:09 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Lexus is not known for there performance cars. Pontiac is. I mean thats really important to me. Anyways all the luxury and amenties I bet a lot of IS-F owners dont use everything that comes with the car. And wow didnt expect so much feedback!
Old 06-18-09, 12:39 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is not known for there performance cars. Pontiac is. I mean thats really important to me.
UUhhmmm no, Ferrari's and Porsche 911's are known for performance.
Lexus is known for overpriced reliability.
Pontiac is known for bankruptcy.

Quick Reply: G8 GXP or IS-F