IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sneak preview, ISF TI exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 07:15 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Hmm, your are right, HKS makes horrible stuff. Do not buy it.

Japanese made Tig welded Full Ti Canisters...covered in protective packing while we fit them up. Tubing is mild steel, do you realize how much stainless is to protoype with, its a mock up...did I mention that..You also missed the fact that the canisters are duct taped to the tubing terminations? All the tubing is tack welded at the moment in sections, thus sectional. Final product will be single mandrel bent runs.

Fig
I say leave the duct tape on for holding the pipes to the mufflers, that has to be lighter! But you are right, looks like it will be a nice exhaust for sure.
Old 06-12-09, 07:19 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping for something like iSuxel's post. So dissappointed

Last edited by DiauR1; 06-12-09 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-12-09, 07:24 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Sorry but the only Ti exhaust that should have been released is the Greddy.
That system is stainless unfortunately. The trick these days appears to be to wrap a section of the exhaust in Ti or to add discoloration to stainless.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-12-09, 07:40 PM
nol300
Driver School Candidate

Sorry but I love the Quad tips it makes the car classy and different that makes it look cheap IMHO.
Old 06-12-09, 09:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Good stuff. IMO a different exhaust tip would look better. Cant say I am in love with the standard round tip in such a huge opening. Maybe something to fill out the rectangular shape of the opening? Will probably cost more to fabricate, but I think would do wonders.
Old 06-12-09, 11:29 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by GFerg
Good stuff. IMO a different exhaust tip would look better. Cant say I am in love with the standard round tip in such a huge opening. Maybe something to fill out the rectangular shape of the opening? Will probably cost more to fabricate, but I think would do wonders.
If anyone can find me a Ti muffler that is different, I will use it in the design. Since Ti was my first requirement for weight, these are what I found. I scoured SEMA and found nothing unfortunately. My goal will be to clean it up with the carbon fiber bezel. Once the platform is there, I have no problem using different mufflers.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 06-13-09, 02:58 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
if you ask me honestly, it looks like a cheap ebay kit slapped together. the tips look like they are welded on wrong, the piping looks like cheap home depot stuff. not to bash on it, just telling the truth. another thing, the canister looks like its an inexpensive unit too. can we say ebay.com everywhere on it?
You think HKS TI exhausts look like cheap ebay gear? You're free to state your opinion, but you're just letting your inexperience show with comments (insults, really) like that.
Old 06-13-09, 07:14 AM
nol300
Driver School Candidate

For me it is probably just the opening with the exhaust why it looks cheap but like GFerg said if you could make a large tip that fit the entire rectangle shape that would look good.
Old 06-13-09, 07:31 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

IMHO, the exhaust looks out of place inside the large opening created by removing the IS-F's OEM stacked quad exhaust. If weight was/is a concern, push those monster cannons behind the stacked exhaust like so many other vendors have done.

I know it's challenging being a vendor and coming up with your own unique product, however look at Tanabe's exhaust, and ask yourself how many forum members actually purchased their exhaust? I would feel safe in saying a low number due to the similar design.

I for one would like to see something similar to the Greddy exhuast, and since they decided not to move forward with a production unit, it would be a great opportunity to give Joe-Z and other companies a run for their money with something very similar in looks.

Being a Vendor, I'm sure you have the buying power that most average consumers don't have. Leverage that with your suppliers and get the cost down, even if the product isn't full titanium, I'm sure their are a few members who would be willing to purchase based on the quad-stacked canister design over the single canister design currently used.

Best of luck and keep the R&D ideas flowing, I know, I speak for many, when I say, your efforts are appreciated
Old 06-13-09, 08:52 AM
FIGS
The Maker

I will see what I can do to maximize options. I just found a JIC model with a dual outlet that is $800 a muffler. How many people are going to buy a $3000 exhaust? If weight is not a priority I can get Ti wrapped small diameter HKS mufflers in a quad setup.

One other thing I wanted to do with the big single design is creating a draft diffuser that will vacuum exhaust. It hard to describe but part of the bezel will extend below the car and direct airlfow past the tip. I realize the plight of the Apexi system and I am one to agree that the tip does not look good as a solitary item in the large opening but bear with me as this all plays out, I understand where you guys are coming from.

As it stands the HKS canisters will not hide behind the stock quad bezel due to the depth of the canister plus the mating spring cup.

Fig
Old 06-13-09, 09:09 AM
Low Offset
Driver

Figs you have got my vote on looks. If it sounds as good as it hears, I for one will be in for one. I love the burned titanium look.
Old 06-13-09, 09:53 AM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say do the quad smaller diameter. Weight not a concern for me; probably not for others either (or we wouldn't have bought ISFs, right?)
If it sounds anything like the greddy I'll take one in that setup.
Old 06-14-09, 01:45 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Good Luck...hope to see the final version...more goodies for the F
Old 06-14-09, 04:32 AM
DaveMS
Driver School Candidate

Those tips look good from afar, but up close you can see where they ground away the body for clearance.

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Sorry but the only Ti exhaust that should have been released is the Greddy.
Old 06-14-09, 03:02 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is another idea you can kick around

Take a single tip muffler and attach dual exahust tips similar to the picture attached. The tips pictured are angled and should be the perfect size for the OEM stacked quad exhaust opening. The tips shown are Corsa twin pro-series 4.0 inch tip assembly, also available in a 3.5 inch size, which I think would be a nice fit!
Attached Thumbnails Sneak preview, ISF TI exhaust-corsaf98.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sneak preview, ISF TI exhaust