IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My wheels are pitting/discoloration too..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 09:30 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiar's also makes the chrome wheel cleaner, is this just as bad on chrome finished wheels?
Old 06-22-09, 09:32 AM
jakiosewin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally i dont use any wheel cleaner i had bad experience in the past eventhought you buff it, it will always leave some mark.Soap is the best.. downside you have to rub more.If you decide to use any wheel cleaner dont leave it too long on the wheel, specialy when the wheel are hot i would not recommend at all.
Old 06-22-09, 10:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Meguiar's also makes the chrome wheel cleaner, is this just as bad on chrome finished wheels?
Car Soap & Water are always better...

Even the "Safe" wheel cleaners are not really safe for all painted or chrome surfaces...
As shown in post #1 pictures...

Ever notice some calipers on various cars look like a white/gray color with spray blotches all over them...??
Car wash spray wheel cleaner or other spray cleaners are usually the culprit..

Joe Z
Old 06-22-09, 11:59 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...and leaf blower would be a nice touch too

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Car Soap & Water are always better...

Even the "Safe" wheel cleaners are not really safe for all painted or chrome surfaces...
As shown in post #1 pictures...

Ever notice some calipers on various cars look like a white/gray color with spray blotches all over them...??
Car wash spray wheel cleaner or other spray cleaners are usually the culprit..

Joe Z
Old 06-22-09, 01:54 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For off the shelf stuff; try hitting up a harley dealer for the S100 wheel soap (Good stuff).

Its safe to use slightly acidic wheel cleaners just never hit it with water as soon as you spray the cleaner on... always apply soap first to neutralize..then rinse with water.
Old 06-22-09, 02:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by avgj0F
...and leaf blower would be a nice touch too
Air compressor works wonders too.... and it's quicker...
Old 06-22-09, 03:44 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes... just use soap and water then wax!
Old 06-22-09, 04:22 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

i read those fishy disclaimers also... so now i just use those soft wheel brushes to help clean my wheels.
Old 06-22-09, 05:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DFLORES
dave u have wash ur car once! lol! i was about to say that the rims looked damaged by the spray he is using i just use mild soap and water! wow the do look bad!
LOL, make that twice now! (well just the rims that is, I used the clay bar to get that stuborn stuff off due to me not having the car washed too little when I first bought the car) Last time I washed the cars a damm bird crapped all over it, so I gave up on doing it myself.
Old 06-22-09, 06:54 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THE only wheel cleaner I would ever use on my cars...I have used it on my ISF, GT-R, Supra's, HRE's, etc...

http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html

Peter
Old 06-22-09, 10:40 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Try some baby shampooooooooo!
Old 06-29-09, 04:24 PM
Wisdom
Pole Position

Damn... that hurts
Old 06-30-09, 04:47 PM
FChampOH
Driver School Candidate

Soap & water on cool wheels works great on the OE ISF wheels! If you have what looks like "pitting" in the corners of the wheel where the spoke meets the outer wheel you can use claybar and elbow grease to remove it. It is not really pitting, it is built up brake dust. Make sure you use some sort of low ph water/soap mixture in conjunction with the claybar. I've done it, and it works! Follow up with a good wax.
Old 07-01-09, 07:57 AM
CurryPot
Driver

Default A fix for the brake dust

OK, so I am surfing late night tv and come across an infomercial for Eagle One Keep Clean Wheel stuff. I'm desperate enough to try anything at this stage, because cleaning the wheels is becoming a ritual every three days to keep on top of it.

So, I cleaned the wheels using the Meguiars Wheel Cleaner and a soft brush. The trick with this stuff is that the wheels have to be cold, not cool. Do this in an evening in the shade. One wheel at a time, hosing down with water and drenching the wheels to get all of the cleaner off. I then hit the wheels with my Turle Wax Car Wash solution to make sure it is all gone - this stops the hazing. Dry off. Go inside to watch a bit of TV to let them dry fully.

Then I simply sprayed the Eagle One Stuff all of the wheels and went to bed. Four days later, and the brake dust is still not sticking to the wheels. There is a slight thin film, but that's it. The dust ***** up and blows off when driving. I hosed down the wheels quickly last night and that's it.

OHMIGOD. Something advertised on TV that works!!!!

It's supposed to last two weeks. I will let you know.
Old 07-01-09, 12:55 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CurryPot
OK, so I am surfing late night tv and come across an infomercial for Eagle One Keep Clean Wheel stuff. I'm desperate enough to try anything at this stage, because cleaning the wheels is becoming a ritual every three days to keep on top of it.

So, I cleaned the wheels using the Meguiars Wheel Cleaner and a soft brush. The trick with this stuff is that the wheels have to be cold, not cool. Do this in an evening in the shade. One wheel at a time, hosing down with water and drenching the wheels to get all of the cleaner off. I then hit the wheels with my Turle Wax Car Wash solution to make sure it is all gone - this stops the hazing. Dry off. Go inside to watch a bit of TV to let them dry fully.

Then I simply sprayed the Eagle One Stuff all of the wheels and went to bed. Four days later, and the brake dust is still not sticking to the wheels. There is a slight thin film, but that's it. The dust ***** up and blows off when driving. I hosed down the wheels quickly last night and that's it.

OHMIGOD. Something advertised on TV that works!!!!

It's supposed to last two weeks. I will let you know.
This sounds promising..but I'm hesitant to use anything but soap and water. Anyone else have any experience with this product?

Quick Reply: My wheels are pitting/discoloration too..