Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 02:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosg
FYI this was the work done to one of the members of CL
That's a different issue. The recall for the valve springs was just issued today. If someone has what they consider excessive valve train noise, they should, by all means, take in to a dealer.

Lou
Old 07-01-10, 03:41 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Based on the fact that the ISF engine uses a different head than the other V8s with titanium valves, etc. I am willing to bet that out springs are different than all the recalled ones and I think that a lot of the ISF motor is built by hand. Didn't Yamaha do the head design for the ISF?

AA
Old 07-01-10, 03:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Yamaha does all the G series heads for Toyota. They have a very long standing relationship for performance platforms.
Old 07-01-10, 04:03 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Issue that I had was valve related....so lexus replaced them about a year ago and so far so good!!
so if anyone has abnormal sound coming from the motor, take it to your dealer
Old 09-30-10, 01:42 PM
fdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, this is my first post here. Has anybody else fixed this issue (ideally in SoCal)? I am currently testing various dealers to see if they are competent enough to fix it for me on my 08 ISF.

My regular dealer called the noise normal and refused to do anything about it. Currently a new dealer I went to says it might be a noisy fuel pump and is willing to replace it, but since that seems like it did not fix the noise for Salil022, I am probably not going to get that done (I want to avoid unnecessary work on my car that might just cause other issues).

Ideally if I could get a dealer to perform the same diagnosis that revealed the actual problem on Salil022's car, I would be happy. Also, is this noise an indication of an actual problem that is harmful and should be fixed, or is it possibly 'within spec' and won't actually cause probelms down the road, so to say? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-30-10, 02:43 PM
MRISF
Pole Position

My dealer told me this noise was normal and drive it until it blows up
Old 09-30-10, 05:30 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

I scheduled an appt for the dealership Tuesday morning... wish me luck!!
Old 10-05-10, 12:13 PM
fdriver
Driver School Candidate

Good luck verals05, keep us posted if you find out anything. I take my car in tomorrow.
Old 10-05-10, 05:10 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by fdriver
Good luck verals05, keep us posted if you find out anything. I take my car in tomorrow.
Well it seems the noise is from an exhaust leak in my Sikky Headers... I think I need new gaskets... I'll have these put in next week..

Then move forward if the noise continues... I'm debating switching dealerships, because it seems every warranty problem they blame it on something else... They are not helping me.
Old 01-18-11, 09:29 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

I didn't want to make a new thread because I remembered someone had posted about this issue before. So after having the isf for 2 1/2 years now I'm experiencing the same clicking sound coming from the engine bay. Im suspecting it may have to do with the dealership. I usually take my car to Lexus of Westminster for service, but this time I decided to go to the much closer Tustin Lexus. After the 20k mile service I'm experiencing the noise. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a reasonable explanation for this and if it has been resolved. As the OP posted I too only get the noise after the engine has warmed up, but never in the mornings after a cold start. Any thoughts?
Old 02-01-11, 05:13 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

My car has been in for 2 weeks now trying to diagnosis this. So far they think it is a high pressure direct injection injector. They are still waiting the finial word and go ahead from the factory to make repairs.

With the factory tool (computer) they are able to disable the direct injection on each bank at a time. When they turn off the passenger side DI system the sound goes away. Also they tried this while disconnecting the high pressure fuel pump and it does not change the sound leading us to believe it is an injector. However we do not know which one.

Previous owners repairs replaced the cylinder head and the sound goes away and stays away. I'm wondering if the cylinder head is involved or if the R&R of the head shifted something with fuel system. Who knows? Anyway I hope that they get my car back to me soon.
Old 02-02-11, 08:40 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
My car has been in for 2 weeks now trying to diagnosis this. So far they think it is a high pressure direct injection injector. They are still waiting the finial word and go ahead from the factory to make repairs.

With the factory tool (computer) they are able to disable the direct injection on each bank at a time. When they turn off the passenger side DI system the sound goes away. Also they tried this while disconnecting the high pressure fuel pump and it does not change the sound leading us to believe it is an injector. However we do not know which one.

Previous owners repairs replaced the cylinder head and the sound goes away and stays away. I'm wondering if the cylinder head is involved or if the R&R of the head shifted something with fuel system. Who knows? Anyway I hope that they get my car back to me soon.
Old 03-16-11, 12:47 PM
ISGT35R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Salil022
Nicholas,
Did they ever fix your F?

i will email the work order to everyone...So if you guys can send me an email!!!
Salil am having the same ticking noise! its even there on my car being very loud during a cold start and starts to fade out as it warms up. once warmed up the sound is still there just a bit lower in volume compared to the cold start. the sound very noticable when i listen to it closely. all my friends think my engine has a bent valve

the car performance is so good i cant belive my engine could have a bent valve

please someone send me an email of the parts used to fix this problem....i have no warranty on my ISF and i need to perform the trail and error procedure. email is: kamalgt35r@yahoo.com
Old 03-16-11, 03:05 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

ISGT35R PM'd me to find out what was going on with my car. I sent him back this and thought I would update the thread with the info.
Hi,
Well, so far so good, but we are not yet completely satisfied that it is fixed.

It was determined by elimination to be an issue with the fuel system. they used the scan tool to isolate the sound to the (in my case) passenger side direct injection system. they were able to turn off individually the pumps, injectors (DI only, not port fuel injectors), etc. for each side. As it was explained to me the DI system runs at very high pressure all the time, however the injectors only fire when needed. there is a dampener that is essentially a diaphragm on a spring that is supposed to absorb "dampen" the sound and bleed off the pressure when the DI injectors are not firing. It was determined that the dampener on the passenger side of the engine was malfunctioning (diaphragm stuck) and not doing its job. It is probably the simplest and cheapest fix of all possibilities. The part is easily accessible from the top of the motor and I'm sure it is much less expensive than new injectors or a high pressure fuel pump. You might want to give it a shot.

I have not since noticed the sound, but I have also not really listened for it. The old noise used to catch my attention and it no longer does so for now I'm satisfied that it is gone. I have since purchased a 8yr/100K mi warranty for the car for piece of mind.

In the process of tracking down the problem my technician was on the phone a lot with the Lexus tech line. Salil022 was nice enough to send me a scan of the repair on his car and from that my technician was able to get a hold of the field engineer that diagnosed Salil's car. In the case of Salil's they were unable to isolate the noise after going through all the tests they ran on my car. On his car they first suspected the fuel system too and replaced the high pressure fuel pump. this did not fix the issue. In the end they replace the head on one side. His issue is now fixed but they were not really able to find the root cause of the problem. His fix was probably worst case as it is the most expensive in parts and labor and you really don't want to have to take the heads of a car if you don't need to.

where are you/the car located? I believe that pretty much every ISF on the road is still covered by warranty. Is it an imported/grey market car?

The dampener is part #23270 in this diagram: http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...onentsIndex=25

Cheers,
andy
Old 03-17-11, 06:07 AM
ISGT35R
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the update UCrazyKid!

Salil ho wmuch did the repair was qouted for? i know your car is underwarranty, but since my car isnt i would like to know how much am going to spend here?

Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!