Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 11:07 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ISGT35R
thanks for the update UCrazyKid!

Salil ho wmuch did the repair was qouted for? i know your car is underwarranty, but since my car isnt i would like to know how much am going to spend here?
Just the part for Salil's work runs about $3K, plus a lot of labor.
Old 03-24-11, 11:17 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer thinks to fix my ticking / tapping noise is to do valve adjustment. They're waiting for a shim kit.

I'm having a second thought to proceed. I find it strange that valve adjustment is needed since it has less than 25k miles.

What do you think?
Old 04-26-11, 04:52 AM
ISGT35R
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Dealer thinks to fix my ticking / tapping noise is to do valve adjustment. They're waiting for a shim kit.

I'm having a second thought to proceed. I find it strange that valve adjustment is needed since it has less than 25k miles.

What do you think?
any update from your side in fixing this issue?
Old 04-26-11, 04:55 AM
ISGT35R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Just the part for Salil's work runs about $3K, plus a lot of labor.
hey am considering changing those parts you mentioned earlier in the thread, but can you clarify for us that the noise is gone on your car? i dont mind changing both diaphrams as long the problem gets fixed. please try listening to your engine after fully warm up or prefer after a 5 minute drive. i dont want to spend money to replace something that is doing its job right from the 1st place
Old 04-26-11, 09:32 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

My noise is still there. Diaphragm did not fix the problem as my mechanic suspected. Dealer doesn't seem to be able to anything but what the factory tells them, cheapest "fixes" first.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 04-26-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 04:25 PM
ISGT35R
Driver School Candidate

My noise is still there. Diaphragm did not fix the problem as my mechanic suspected. Dealer doesn't seem to be able to anything but what the factory tells them, cheapest "fixes" first.
i'll be getting new headers soon and would like to inform everyone that i will update my situation after the install
Old 04-26-11, 07:45 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, it didn't fix the noises. That's one expensive warranty bill for left side valve shimming job. Almost a whopping $2K!!! Since it doesn't really affect the performance, I think I can live with the tapping noises.

I had an IS250 loaner and it has the same exact ticking noises coming from the foot well area. So, gotta think it's *normal*

Originally Posted by ISGT35R
any update from your side in fixing this issue?
Old 04-27-11, 11:24 AM
ISGT35R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Nope, it didn't fix the noises. That's one expensive warranty bill for left side valve shimming job. Almost a whopping $2K!!! Since it doesn't really affect the performance, I think I can live with the tapping noises.

I had an IS250 loaner and it has the same exact ticking noises coming from the foot well area. So, gotta think it's *normal*
i think you are right and maybe the headers am getting will cover that noise up
Old 11-20-11, 02:14 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

My car is in for this right now, it's been 6 weeks. They tore the entire engine down and have found that my valve springs are measuring short (compressed). They are blaming engine abuse, redlining, tracking, over reving, maintaining high engine speeds over a long period time. MIND you this car has NEVER seen the track and is used as a grocery getter and to get my kids to and from school. The dealer is full of it and not considering to look at other reasons (bad springs, like the other 270,000 cars that were recalled maybe?). This turing into one hell of a fight. Right now I hate Lexus and my dealer. My car is pristine, they haven't even scanned the ECU and I am stil on my second set of tires in 32,000 miles.

I would like to hear anyother's stories as to dealing with the problem in PM. Thanks!
Old 11-20-11, 05:12 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Andy let me know if i could be of any help...My 08 had this noise with only 5k miles and car was never raced, abused whatsoever....I believe my car was the first one in the US to get repaired after countless trips to dealers n complaints.

It was def. not easy, Dealers/Corporate lexus really needs to step up and stand behind their product...IS-F is meant to be driven hard and with these engines making these metal clicking sound is def. not a lexus like experience...15 yr old Toyota/Lexus with 200k miles doesn't even make this type of noise.

i now have 2011 IS-F and guess what I've heard the same metal clicking sound on this motor with less than 1k miles, although sound is not as consistent (Not always present) but it's a shame as Lexus is just taking this Case by case basis instead of admitting an issue with these motors and Fixing them or Replacing them.
Old 11-20-11, 08:47 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in for this right now, it's been 6 weeks. They tore the entire engine down and have found that my valve springs are measuring short (compressed). They are blaming engine abuse, redlining, tracking, over reving, maintaining high engine speeds over a long period time. MIND you this car has NEVER seen the track and is used as a grocery getter and to get my kids to and from school. The dealer is full of it and not considering to look at other reasons (bad springs, like the other 270,000 cars that were recalled maybe?). This turing into one hell of a fight. Right now I hate Lexus and my dealer. My car is pristine, they haven't even scanned the ECU and I am stil on my second set of tires in 32,000 miles.

I would like to hear anyother's stories as to dealing with the problem in PM. Thanks!

What dealer are you going through? I hope things work out.
Old 11-22-11, 08:35 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

UCrazyKid, I'm sorry to hear your'e going through such a problem with your dealership. It's terrible to think that you buy an F car from them that first thing that comes to mind is you abused it. You've seen my pictures and you've read the story that I told regarding my engine and am glad that the dealership that I went to was willing to help me out. After Lexus of Northborough serviced my car, I have not heard that annoying tapping sound.

It annoys me that someone who hasn't owned the car since day one would automatically say abuse. You can always ask for proof that you abused the engine. Does an F car automatically mean that the car has been abused? Ridiculous!
Old 06-04-13, 11:39 AM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got this ticking on the way to work this morning. (2011 model year) It was towards the very end of my 17 mile journey - car was nice and warmed up after cruising on the freeway and this notorious tick came out of nowhere. This is about a week after taking my car to the dealership for my 25K service.

It got louder on downshifts where the RPM's were between 2500rpm and 4000rpm. I'll be paying close attention to this... it was loud enough to annoy me.
Old 09-15-13, 06:02 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ngl1145
UCrazyKid, I'm sorry to hear your'e going through such a problem with your dealership. It's terrible to think that you buy an F car from them that first thing that comes to mind is you abused it. You've seen my pictures and you've read the story that I told regarding my engine and am glad that the dealership that I went to was willing to help me out. After Lexus of Northborough serviced my car, I have not heard that annoying tapping sound.

It annoys me that someone who hasn't owned the car since day one would automatically say abuse. You can always ask for proof that you abused the engine. Does an F car automatically mean that the car has been abused? Ridiculous!
2010 checking in here with the exact same ticking! I must have missed it reading this long thread, but what was done to resolve your issue?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-13, 08:39 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
2010 checking in here with the exact same ticking! I must have missed it reading this long thread, but what was done to resolve your issue?

Thanks!
Post the video of clicking sound.

Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!