IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 06:28 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasupra
Couldn't agree more that is one of the reasons I got rid of my 08 and got the 12 I have now !! Lance is correct it is not normal or my 12 would be making the same noise which it does not !!
My 2012 does make this noise sometimes but not that loud.
Old 07-10-15, 06:34 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Mine has a slight tap as well (as do a lot of F's) but what confuses me is the inconsistencies with the tapping.. Coming and going.. If it was valve issues or injectors wouldn't this be a constant noise with no change at idle?
Old 07-10-15, 07:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by bacrotty
Mine has a slight tap as well (as do a lot of F's) but what confuses me is the inconsistencies with the tapping.. Coming and going.. If it was valve issues or injectors wouldn't this be a constant noise with no change at idle?
Yes, it would. That's why I don't believe it is a valve lash problem.
Old 07-11-15, 01:22 PM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this same issue sounds like someone trying to ignite a BBQ grille. Not sure if its a normal or a sign of something failing? Car drives fine.
Old 07-11-15, 01:30 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

wow, i just saw this thread, wish i read it sooner. i took off my whole exhaust, under panels throughout the bottom of the car just because i thought there was a rock, screw or washer somewhere stuck between something.

i have the same sound , not as bad as some of these vids but its annoying. i didint have this before.

Last edited by ISFPOWER; 07-11-15 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 01:30 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Mine has only tapped that loud once and it was a more consistent tap and did not last near as long. (08 w/82k) it also sounded like it was coming from the passenger side.
Old 07-12-15, 06:57 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bacrotty
Sounds like you guys have VVT-DI
Old 07-13-15, 09:38 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

47,472k miles MY 2011 here...just checking in, I got the noise over the weekend. I get it at cold start, and slightly increases sound when I press the accelerator. Once car continues to warm up and temperature rises, noise disappears. My F is completely stock and I really don't want the dealer to start messing around with it, like I've read in this entire thread. I noticed it last night more as I drove a few co workers to a diner. I cringed as soon as I heard it. It felt embarrassing to say the least but nobody mentioned anything. I'm gonna try and do a bit more research and keep an ear on it. Thanks for everybody's input. I do agree with a lot of the different opinions, such as these are V8's big block, noisy engines than the norm. But I can't help think if it's right or wrong that is creating this sound. I plan to keep this F in the family permanently, if I can avoid something now, I would rather take action immediately.
Old 07-13-15, 09:58 AM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

People keep saying this is a normal noise ! then why do they not sound that way from day one ??

There is defiantly something that happens over time that is causing this ! My 2008 had no noise then developed my 2012 is totally free of this mechanical clacking @ 20K .

I do not think this is normal and why cant a Lexus or Yamaha engineer explain it to us ? if its a wear item going bad ? something is triggering this sound I will attempt to get to the bottom of it and report back.
Old 07-13-15, 10:09 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get it as well, but maybe not as bad as this - I just bought an '08 with 76k miles. I didn't notice it at first but did after reading this thread.

I have it at cold start and as soon as the motor is warm it is totally gone. I've never worried or thought anything of it, just seems like normal motor noise. It doesn't sound like knock or slap but just normal ticking. who knows but lets make a thread and freak out about it.
Old 07-13-15, 10:35 AM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
I get it as well, but maybe not as bad as this - I just bought an '08 with 76k miles. I didn't notice it at first but did after reading this thread.

I have it at cold start and as soon as the motor is warm it is totally gone. I've never worried or thought anything of it, just seems like normal motor noise. It doesn't sound like knock or slap but just normal ticking. who knows but lets make a thread and freak out about it.
Not sure anyone is freaking out over it however I don't think its to much to ask why our engines develop this annoying ( for sure ) or possibly damaging issue .

Enjoy the clacking in your new car
Old 07-13-15, 11:34 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasupra
Not sure anyone is freaking out over it however I don't think its to much to ask why our engines develop this annoying ( for sure ) or possibly damaging issue .

Enjoy the clacking in your new car
Hmm well I'm coming from Subarus that always make noise, and are probably about to **** the bed if for some reason they are quiet. The clacking doesn't seem terrible to me and we have no definitive answer from anyone or proof it blew up anyone's motor so no reason to be too worried.

Besides, it's nothing an exhaust can't cover up
Old 07-13-15, 11:52 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up my car this afternoon. So far the noise is no longer present after the AC compressor change.

It had been sitting at the dealer since Friday with out starting and they waited for me to arrive.

I am fairly convinced that this was the issue (in my situation). The engine actually sounds quieter than it ever has.......I will also check for the belt squeak at WOT. A wonky compressor pulley may also be responisible for the belt slap issue during hard acceleration...IMO

I will continue to monitor over the next few days on cold starts and report back.

Update: after some more mileage - the belt slap has comepletly disappeared, and all metal rattle noises have been eliminated. I also used to have a hunting idle issue that is now steady as a rock while in park.

I am really happy about this, as it has eliminated all of my concerns

Digger08

Originally Posted by digger08
Interestingly........I just experienced an AC compressor failure. The actual pulley shaft seperated and the compressor imploded. I suspect the exact noises descibed in your symptoms had been going on for 3 years in my car.....while I am still waiting to get the repairs done now, it will be interesting to see if it has completly gone away........once returned.

I had ruled out the tensioner and always thought it was in the motor. It always did the noise right at cold start up.

I will update this info. once I get the car back and monitor a few cold start mornings...if it is related..it took years to finally show itself.

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 07-14-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 11:25 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ok.. Yesterday in the evening.. had the exaclty the same noise but even louder (after the car was warmed up) I could clearly hear it outside the car with the hood closed, it made the car sounds cheap - it was definetly coming from the passenger side of the car.

I am confused.. is the problem with the AC Compressor (as digger08 suggest) ?
Old 07-16-15, 06:38 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Ok.. Yesterday in the evening.. had the exaclty the same noise but even louder (after the car was warmed up) I could clearly hear it outside the car with the hood closed, it made the car sounds cheap - it was definetly coming from the passenger side of the car.

I am confused.. is the problem with the AC Compressor (as digger08 suggest) ?
The noise in the video was the very same noise I had.....exactly!

It developed and got worse over a period of 3 years. I even used a stethascope to try and find where it was coming from over the years.

In my case it was the AC compressor.......no doubt about it. Because of the engine accoustics, I could never pin point excatly the area (even though you would think it would be easy).

Digger08

Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!