IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 11:18 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I did the oil cap test the other night... No volume change for me..

On a side note.. My noise always occurs with fresh oil.. And then goes away about 1-2k miles after change.. By the time I reach the 5-6k mile OCI.. There's no more noise.

Joe Z
Exactly how mine is, noise comes back after a fresh oil change and slowly disappears as the oil ages. JoeZ, you using synthetic or dino?
Old 03-17-16, 11:46 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Digger since we spoke I have been thinking of simply buying a new AC compressor and just ending it. A member on a Facebook page told me Delco makes the part for less than $700.
Do you have a way to recover and evacuate the system then recharge it to factory specs?
Old 03-17-16, 12:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

same with me since I do my own oil change during the first drives with fresh oil noise was evident but after 1k mi into the oil Im not hearing it anymore maybe that's why I don't notice the noise anymore
Old 03-17-16, 01:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Mine doesn't care about oil. Fresh or old, it will make the noise, although I have not noticed it for the last month or so. Could just be I'm driving off quickly and it is masked by engine speed. Still have not had time to check the valve lash and ensure it is still good, but I normally like to do a few WOT runs to burn off any carbon on the valves before checking last. it's easy to set them too tight if there is any carbon between the valve face and the seat. That quickly turns into a burned valve. AMHIK.
Old 03-17-16, 03:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
Do you have a way to recover and evacuate the system then recharge it to factory specs?
no. I would simply order the part online and just take it to them and bend over on the labor . That has been my new MO for a while. Just take the stuff in and let them nail me on labor
Old 03-19-16, 11:40 AM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone, new member here. I recently purchased an 08 ISF with 35k miles on it and for the first week everything was great, like a new car. That is, until I decided to turn on my A/C for the first time and *BAM*, engine starts making the ticking noise at idle that matches exactly to all of the youtube video I have seen. Of course I immediately took it to the Lexus dealer here and they state that the noise is "normal". While it does comfort me knowing there seem to be many others with this noise, I am still nervous about having it even if it has yet to cause any catastrophic engine failures. My noise is present with the A/C on or off, and the engine must be fully warmed up for about 15 min before it appears. It seems to completely go away above 1500 rpm. It is most annoying in a drive-thru or similar situation where the noise is amplified. I tried to do some investigating myself as to where it was coming from, and I have listed directly to the lifters on both sides and other than the normal consistent ticking, they seem to not be making the noise. The noise is loudest when under the car and on the drivers side of the engine near the cat. I took it to a muffler shop and they checked out the cats which were found to be in like-new condition. To those who say their noise went away after a rebuild, that doesn't really help considering so much is moved/changed during a rebuild. The noise could have been fixed by moving something not even related to an internal engine component. If anyone finds any new information, or gets Lexus to open their eyes to this widespread problem, please post back.
Old 03-23-16, 05:05 PM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Thought I would update everybody. I have taken the car to two different Lexus dealerships now. The second one was much more helpful. I was able to speak directly to the master tech and he brought out his computer and ran a complete diagnostic right in front of me, showing me everything. Everything was running well within spec. The noise is coming from the drivers side high pressure fuel pump. The IS-F uses two mechanical high pressure fuel pumps with a third electronic pump in the tank. The one on the drivers side operates at over 800 psi. The noise comes from a spring that is inside the fuel pump that over time (seems to be after 20k-30k miles) gets worn and creates a tapping/knocking as its opening and closing the valve inside the pump (similar to the noise you would hear when the engine has a worn valve spring). The pressure inside the pump increases as the rpms increase, and the noise disappears. For those that have the noise, warm up the car as usual so the noise appears, then let it sit. Listen to the intensity/frequency of the noise. Now rev the engine close to red line and listen. You should notice that the noise gets louder/more frequent for a short time after.

TL/DR:
Have fun driving your IS-F, rest assured everything is fine.
The following users liked this post:
ISFHEMS (01-03-17)
Old 03-23-16, 05:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

There is no noise from a worn valve spring. Either they work, or they break and cause very expensive damage to the engine. So the argument is, this noise is related to the HPFP? Why would we have members who have swapped these pumps and the noise stayed on the same side?

I don't buy the "worn spring" argument at all. I fully understand the fuel system, and I know in detail how all the pumps work. A worn spring would cause the pump to fail, not be noisy. It would also make the noise consistently whenever the engine idles. Mine does not. It only makes the noise on cold cycle. Once the engine is at temperature, no abnormal noise at all.
Old 03-23-16, 07:07 PM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is no noise from a worn valve spring. Either they work, or they break and cause very expensive damage to the engine. So the argument is, this noise is related to the HPFP? Why would we have members who have swapped these pumps and the noise stayed on the same side?

I don't buy the "worn spring" argument at all. I fully understand the fuel system, and I know in detail how all the pumps work. A worn spring would cause the pump to fail, not be noisy. It would also make the noise consistently whenever the engine idles. Mine does not. It only makes the noise on cold cycle. Once the engine is at temperature, no abnormal noise at all.
I am guessing your noise is different from the majority, as most people have no noise present on a cold engine, but upon warming up the noise appears.
Old 03-23-16, 07:54 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF08
I am guessing your noise is different from the majority, as most people have no noise present on a cold engine, but upon warming up the noise appears.
yeah I never hear it in the mornings or when warming up the sound is never there
Old 03-23-16, 09:07 PM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k20trick
yeah I never hear it in the mornings or when warming up the sound is never there
Can you elaborate? Are you saying your ISF doesn't make the noise at all?
Old 04-19-16, 08:50 PM
Ggyodes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to hear that. New to the group and have a graphite gray 2008 completely stock. Bought it with 72,000 miles and snagged a 2 year/24k warranty as well. All included (with tax) 33k out the door... not too bad. The noise wasn't too bothersome until I realized how loud it really was idling in between cars in a parking lot or in a garage. The tapping goes away quickly with RPM's but MAN it is a little loud for comfort to the unknowing ear. The fuel pump explanation makes sense and that is what I am going to tell myself so I can get over it... Too late to turn back now... besides, it feels good to finally feel excited to drive to work every morning.
Old 10-03-16, 04:52 PM
jglass4788
Driver School Candidate

Gentlemen....

I also have the "metal clunking sound" coming from my 2008 IS-F. I have numerous other small issues that I'm "going through"(exhaust manifold crack, starter motor replacement).

I had to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold and noticed it was cracked, so I'm working with a welder to have it repaired. Since the subframe is out, I decided that I should check the drivers side manifold for cracks as well. And BINGO!!!...I noticed right away that the drivers side heat shield was loose (the bolts are tight--all 3, but the heat shield still moves around within the bolted area). I hit it a few times with my hand and immediately recognized the sound.

Here is the bad.... It is unlikely that you can repair this, unless you have the complete subframe pulled (basically you have to access the headers).

Video and pictures to follow.....
Old 10-03-16, 05:03 PM
jglass4788
Driver School Candidate

Video-

Old 10-03-16, 05:42 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jglass4788
Gentlemen....

I also have the "metal clunking sound" coming from my 2008 IS-F. I have numerous other small issues that I'm "going through"(exhaust manifold crack, starter motor replacement).

I had to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold and noticed it was cracked, so I'm working with a welder to have it repaired. Since the subframe is out, I decided that I should check the drivers side manifold for cracks as well. And BINGO!!!...I noticed right away that the drivers side heat shield was loose (the bolts are tight--all 3, but the heat shield still moves around within the bolted area). I hit it a few times with my hand and immediately recognized the sound.

Here is the bad.... It is unlikely that you can repair this, unless you have the complete subframe pulled (basically you have to access the headers).

Video and pictures to follow.....
My drivers side heat shield was loose as well, I'm not certain what they did but it was $140 at lexus in labor to get it fixed, certainly didn't pull the subframe and fix it in an hour. Maybe something is up with yours because mine hasn't made noise since.

Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!