IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 01:51 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

I just caught up reading this thread, has there been any new information or further confirmations on how to treat this via replacing the chain tensioner?
Old 11-09-21, 02:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

I stopped short of replacing all the timing parts after switching oils. Mobil 1 just doesn't work well. Renewable Lubricants does work well, and I almost never hear this noise anymore. I'm over 110k miles with this now.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
IronNam (11-11-21), TCM55 (11-12-21)
Old 11-11-21, 10:02 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

I ditched Mobil 1 in 2009 and I have never looked back since.

201k miles and over 100k have solely been on Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum.

Only thing I've encountered for the timing system is the replacement of the Left VVTiE cam motor. That itself isn't oil related but is effecting a lot of 2URs (both LS and IS) that see a lot of heat.
The following users liked this post:
TCM55 (11-12-21)
Old 11-13-21, 09:22 AM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I stopped short of replacing all the timing parts after switching oils. Mobil 1 just doesn't work well. Renewable Lubricants does work well, and I almost never hear this noise anymore. I'm over 110k miles with this now.
Going to give this a try within the next couple of weeks, just so happens I am going to be due for maintenance.
Old 07-10-23, 03:53 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lowbux,

I noticed the metal clicking sound just like yours after the installation of the Lightweight Crank Pulley set from RR Racing and first thought that the noise was the new crank pulley or idler pulley installed wrong (the tensioner was also replaced as preventative maintenance when I did the pulley set). After realizing that it wasn't the new pulley combo from RR Racing making that noise and that it was emanating from the cam motor area. I realized that it sounded just like your video, identical in fact where it would oscillate off and on seeming to go and come back with no set interval. It was only upon start up after the initial high rpm start up where the tachometer rises above 1k rpm for a few then the idle settles down to the normal idle speed is when the clacking of the timing chain (I'm assuming) was clanking around and was quite loud.

I doesn't happen all the time though sometimes when I start it up I hear nothing?🤷‍♂️........So I've kind of ignored it for the most part but started on a rabbit trail reading some threads about it so I thought I'd post my experience so far. I have not pulled the oil cap off when the car is idling which I will try tonight and see if the noise gets louder if it exhibits the noise and report back.

The car runs amazing and haven't noticed any loss in performance but am curious now as to your experience with replacing your cam motor and realizing the increase in MPG's by about 10% is significant so don't know if my cam motor (drivers side) is on it's way out or it's oil related? I switched to QSFS per RAT's blog as it's his highest ranked motor oil for film strength and have been happy with that oil.

That being said why do you think the 2UR likes certain types of oil and not others? How does the difference in base oil (whether synthetic stock base or mineral base) and additive package agree or not agree with our engines like what you experienced with Mobil 1?
Old 07-11-23, 05:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

I can't answer complex questions about additive packages. I don't have anything like the necessary data to compare oils, and the oil companies have no interest in telling us what's really in their oils. All I can do is relay what my experiences are with the oil I am running. I am pretty convinced Mobil 1 is NOT compatible with Lexus engines from my own experience and from the experience of people I know and trust. That's about all I can say about that.