IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
To the O/P ....

Lets seee...

You can buy a reliable N/A (400HP) engine for 48k

Or

You can buy a TT built engine, that has massive heat soak for 50k + add on top of that 7grand more to upgrade it to 400+hp status.

You be the judge.
Just to let you know, a 335 4dr fully loaded is realistically $50ish otd and all you really need to do is pay $650 for a Jb3 chip and its neck to neck with us. I know for a fact. My buddy has a near fully loaded 335 that stickered for $47k he got it for less than $46k otd and all he did was add a Jb3 chip for $650 and he ran neck to neck with me at the track. He did a 12.9 @ 110mph. I did a 13.1 @ 111mph I know my time should have been faster, but I was not experienced running an automatic at the track and both my car and my tires only had 1000 miles on it. We are going again in 2 days, my car has 2200miles on it now, lets see if my times better this time. On paper, the bmw seems very good. but in real world owning, its a different story, the interior cannot match with ours, the creature comforts are nowhere near ours. and I gotta admit, my buddies new 335 wouldnt start at 120miles to the odometer, it had the notorious fuel pump problem. and at 7100 miles, both of his turbo blew along with his fuel pump again. lol He always brags, my cars faster than lexus, I always answer, hell yeah, going to the dealership for warranty indeed its alot faster than my car!!!
Old 07-07-09, 07:01 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Oh, I forgot to mention, the JB3 adds 90hp to the 335. and that night at the track, he did run race gas, without the race gas he was running 13.1 on pump gas. pretty fast if you ask me
Old 07-07-09, 09:30 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Oh, I forgot to mention, the JB3 adds 90hp to the 335. and that night at the track, he did run race gas, without the race gas he was running 13.1 on pump gas. pretty fast if you ask me
It would be if Toyota hadn't done that 16 years ago with the MkIV Supra. Less than $10 in mods, and you've got a high 12 second car. Turbos are great for cheap power bumps.
Old 07-07-09, 11:39 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It would be if Toyota hadn't done that 16 years ago with the MkIV Supra. Less than $10 in mods, and you've got a high 12 second car. Turbos are great for cheap power bumps.
This is so true and so very unfortunate. I feel that the bar hasn't really been raised when it comes to performance. Sure cars like our isf and the m3 are gorgeous and all, but i haven't really notice any monumental progression. I just expected most performance cars to be easily modded to 600hp by now. I hate to say it but i think the new RS6 is basically what i expected.
Old 07-07-09, 01:03 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just quoting the price, of the link, that the O/P put up.

Looks like its about 7 grand for a dinan full tune..

I also have friends that ran the jb3 chip, and its hit and miss.

One of my buddies car was leaking oil and transmission burning 1 week later. Another one of my friends car is running fine.

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Just to let you know, a 335 4dr fully loaded is realistically $50ish otd and all you really need to do is pay $650 for a Jb3 chip and its neck to neck with us. I know for a fact. My buddy has a near fully loaded 335 that stickered for $47k he got it for less than $46k otd and all he did was add a Jb3 chip for $650 and he ran neck to neck with me at the track. He did a 12.9 @ 110mph. I did a 13.1 @ 111mph I know my time should have been faster, but I was not experienced running an automatic at the track and both my car and my tires only had 1000 miles on it. We are going again in 2 days, my car has 2200miles on it now, lets see if my times better this time. On paper, the bmw seems very good. but in real world owning, its a different story, the interior cannot match with ours, the creature comforts are nowhere near ours. and I gotta admit, my buddies new 335 wouldnt start at 120miles to the odometer, it had the notorious fuel pump problem. and at 7100 miles, both of his turbo blew along with his fuel pump again. lol He always brags, my cars faster than lexus, I always answer, hell yeah, going to the dealership for warranty indeed its alot faster than my car!!!
Old 07-07-09, 01:39 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm... Dinan did not sever any relationships. That is a rumor. My dealership still installs Dinan parts, flashes and suspensions. Don't spread rumors unless you get your facts straight.

Anyone in Vegas that wants to run with me I will be more than willing to do it. There are plenty of tunes for the 335i. Dinan is the only tune that matches the 4 year 50k mile warranty. You pay for the warranty when you buy their parts and R&D.

I have the Dinan stage 3 setup on my car. I haven't tuned the suspension yet. I am looking at doing KW coilovers since they are adjustable and cheaper honestly.

Anyone talking about heat soak has to understand that they have upgraded intercoolers that are twice the size and upgraded oil cooler upgrades for cooling. My car never got above 250 F at the track and I ran the hell out of it. I love it when people talk about turbo cars and have never owned one and think of buzz words like "Heat Soak" and "turbo lag." Go drive one that is tuned and then tell me which car is more fun to drive. I have driven the IS-F. Have you driven this car?

Last edited by SilverBull; 07-07-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 02:06 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Ummm... Dinan did not sever any relationships. That is a rumor. My dealership still installs Dinan parts, flashes and suspensions. Don't spread rumors unless you get your facts straight.

Anyone in Vegas that wants to run with me I will be more than willing to do it. There are plenty of tunes for the 335i. Dinan is the only tune that matches the 4 year 50k mile warranty. You pay for the warranty when you buy their parts and R&D.

I have the Dinan stage 3 setup on my car. I haven't tuned the suspension yet. I am looking at doing KW coilovers since they are adjustable and cheaper honestly.

Anyone talking about heat soak has to understand that they have upgraded intercoolers that are twice the size and upgraded oil cooler upgrades for cooling. My car never got above 250 F at the track and I ran the hell out of it. I love it when people talk about turbo cars and have never owned one and think of buzz words like "Heat Soak" and "turbo lag." Go drive one that is tuned and then tell me which car is more fun to drive. I have driven the IS-F. Have you driven this car?
Ive driven a fully tuned JB3 and ive got to say its a fun car. Though its built ****ty (MY OPINION), its still a good car. But even though its a good car i still prefer my mildly modded isf over 99% of 335's
Old 07-07-09, 02:11 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I really cant speak for all isf owners... But with just a secondary cat delete i beat the fastest JB3 335i in south Florida that i know of. Got the video to prove it
And who are you talking about?
Old 07-07-09, 02:28 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
And who are you talking about?
A friend of mine. Hes got everything... Makes about 398-410whp on race gas i believe. I dont know many 335s so there are probably faster ones.
Old 07-07-09, 03:38 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are entire threads devoted to overcoming heat soak on bimmer forums.

So I doubt this is a myth....

Should I link you?

Sure, you can upgrade the oil coolers and other parts.

Never said it was impossible, to get the engine cooler.

So lets not argue about that.
Old 07-07-09, 05:13 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

claim to fame.. just an FYI Parade laps and testing vehicle dynamics DONT count for comparsion. a NASA, time attack or SCCA event where you are putting the car to its fullest or even as simple as TIMING your lap. I will let you borrow my hot lap and my F againts another stock 335 or dinan and i am down. remember Parade Laps dont count for feeling how a car feels on a track.
Old 07-07-09, 05:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
One of my buddies car was leaking oil and transmission burning 1 week later. Another one of my friends car is running fine.
There is a name for that..

Consistently Inconsistent

Old 07-07-09, 10:17 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

The most common tunes for the 335i are the Procede, Active Autowerks and Juicbox piggybacks. Dinan makes a ECU flash so it isn't something you have to take out of the car. The Procede and JB3(juicebox) have both been able to obtain 400+whp/400+wtq on race fuel. However, most get about 350whp and 365 wtq on 93 octane. On the stock turbos I think pushing the limits will catch up with you sometime down the road. Most of these guys will sell their car by then anyway though.

For me personally, I would never buy a used 335i now with all the tuning talk running around. Dinan has been around for 30 years and has worked with BMW only as a primary tuner. They do slightly conservative race proven tuning. It isn't the fastest but it is backed by a warranty. I went that route since if I sell my car it looks better to the average mid 30's or 40's guy that Dinan did the tuning and not some piggyback special that costs less than IPOD these days.

Honestly, the IS-F will beat most tuned 335i's above 100mph and hang pretty close before that. It is a driver's race under 100 and it depends on how extremely modded the BMW is since some are very fast now. I wouldn't assume too much since people are making these the next EVO/STI tuner car now.
Old 07-15-09, 01:09 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBull

Umm....Bmw and Dinan marketing relationship have been resolved about a year ago. The reason being BMW started to come out with their own performance parts.

Many dealerships have stopped selling Dinan products, including mine.

And yes I've driven a 335i, i own two, and yes im on my 3rd hpfp.
Old 07-16-09, 10:49 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

You also own a Juicebox tune so your opinion is a bit biased. IF the relationship was done and severed than no dealership would sell Dinan products or warranty them. It is a dealership situation not BMWNA situation. I have still have my original Fuel Pump and I have hear the california gas has a lot to do with that. I live in Vegas and have had no problems. Most of the multiple fuel pump people seem to come from Cali.

Quick Reply: our f vs this