IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weight Reduction ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 09:26 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,533 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Something is odd here. You’re close to 200 pounds in weight reduction… maybe more. How is it still that heavy?
I thought the same, I couldn’t believe it. Only thing I can think of is maybe the 2014’s are heavier to begin with?
Old 02-17-23, 10:42 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Yea weird last time my car was weighed was when I had corner balancing done when I installed the Ohlins and they weighed the car and on the print out it weighted 3,690 with a half tank of gas and that was with the spare tire in at the time. Since then I've taken it out so I should be around 3,650 but have not confirmed with the spare taken out.
The following 3 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
JT2MA71 (02-17-23), minator (02-25-23), RJMacReady (06-22-24)
Old 02-17-23, 11:11 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Yea weird last time my car was weighed was when I had corner balancing done when I installed the Ohlins and they weighed the car and on the print out it weighted 3,690 with a half tank of gas and that was with the spare tire in at the time. Since then I've taken it out so I should be around 3,650 but have not confirmed with the spare taken out.
I’ll try and weigh it again somewhere else just to confirm. It’s a certified weigh station but who knows…
Old 02-17-23, 11:24 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I’ll try and weigh it again somewhere else just to confirm. It’s a certified weigh station but who knows…
Agree that scale is off. Yours should be lighter than most. The seats alone save you 70-90 pounds… exhaust 40… batter 40… suspension close to 40… Trunk 40… wheels are lighter too. Your easily 250 below oem weight.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 02-17-23 at 11:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
JT2MA71 (02-17-23), lobuxracer (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 09:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Truly makes no sense. When I weighed mine bone stock with spare, jack, and everything but the owner's manual, it didn't weigh that much. Corners were terrible, but total weight was definitely less than 3750.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (02-19-23)
Old 02-24-23, 11:39 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

Are there any ultra light wheel options for spare tire?
Old 02-28-23, 05:32 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by Rossi
Are there any ultra light wheel options for spare tire?
Any forged aluminum wheel in 8.5" width with low to mid 30's offset should make a lightweight spare and fit both front and rear. Just make sure the front spoke profile is big brake friendly.
The following users liked this post:
minator (03-01-23)
Old 02-28-23, 09:08 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

Any forged aluminum wheel in 8.5" width with low to mid 30's offset should make a lightweight spare and fit both front and rear. Just make sure the front spoke profile is big brake friendly.
thank you Ron, great information.
Old 10-26-23, 07:59 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

Looking for recommendations beyond the current plan for ~250lb weight reduction to get weight down to 3500lb and remain close to 100% streetable and OEM level NVH.

Weight savings in lbs.
-26 AG Battery ($800)
-46 Spare Tire removal
-30ish TRD Coilovers
-35ish Lightweight Wheels
-65 CCBs
-13 JM Racing CF Hood
-44 Ti Midpipe & Ti Axle Back

Other items...
engine covers, owners manual, rear headrests, floor mats, replacing automatic steering column with manual one from IS350, emptying the windshield washer reservoir,

Items I'm considering that would get to 3400lbs but concerned regarding NVH
- 5 CF Driveshaft
- 70 Racing Seats
- Figs Lowering kit (weight reduction amount not clear)
- Are headers a weight reduction?

I also have a lightweight IS350 with the F-Sport BBK... getting in the IS-F you can feel the extra weight impacting acceleration and braking. Based on that, I would love to get the IS-F to 3250lbs (a total of 500lb weight reduction) but not willing to sacrifice NVH or reliability.

Last edited by autovation; 10-26-23 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-26-23, 08:34 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by autovation
Looking for recommendations beyond the current plan for ~250lb weight reduction to get weight down to 3500lb and remain close to 100% streetable and OEM level NVH.

Weight savings in lbs.
-26 AG Battery ($800)
-46 Spare Tire removal
-30ish TRD Coilovers
-35ish Lightweight Wheels
-65 CCBs
-13 JM Racing CF Hood
-44 Ti Midpipe & Ti Axle Back

Other items...
engine covers, owners manual, rear headrests, floor mats, replacing automatic steering column with manual one from IS350, emptying the windshield washer reservoir,

Items I'm considering that would get to 3400lbs but concerned regarding NVH
- 5 CF Driveshaft
- 70 Racing Seats
- Figs Lowering kit (weight reduction amount not clear)
- Are headers a weight reduction?

I also have a lightweight IS350 with the F-Sport BBK... getting in the IS-F you can feel the extra weight impacting acceleration and braking. Based on that, I would love to get the IS-F to 3250lbs (a total of 500lb weight reduction) but not willing to sacrifice NVH or reliability.
To add, CF roof (nice to reduce weight up high in the car--I think it's about 25lbs net after taking out sunroof), CF trunk (maybe?), change all bolts to titanium bolts for that 300 gram net savings
I believe some Japanese companies sell aluminum control arms for 2IS as well...not sure though.
Old 10-26-23, 08:59 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDMV8
To add, CF roof (nice to reduce weight up high in the car--I think it's about 25lbs net after taking out sunroof), CF trunk (maybe?), change all bolts to titanium bolts for that 300 gram net savings
I believe some Japanese companies sell aluminum control arms for 2IS as well...not sure though.
I want to keep the sunroof (for now anyway...), I did just learn that you could special order the IS-F without a sunroof as well. I think the savings is closer to 40lbs. Then a full CF roof replacement (JMA has one... https://www.jmaracing.com/page-d-art...50-carbon-roof) is like 70lbs including the sunroof removal. CF trunk may be an option as well. On the Ti bolts... I would go on a diet or sit in a sauna to save those last few ounces first, lol! I am looking at some Ti lugs but not sure if it's worth it.
Old 10-27-23, 08:24 AM
JT2MA71

I want to keep the sunroof (for now anyway...), I did just learn that you could special order the IS-F without a sunroof as well. I think the savings is closer to 40lbs. Then a full CF roof replacement (JMA has one... https://www.jmaracing.com/page-d-art...50-carbon-roof) is like 70lbs including the sunroof removal. CF trunk may be an option as well. On the Ti bolts... I would go on a diet or sit in a sauna to save those last few ounces first, lol! I am looking at some Ti lugs but not sure if it's worth it.
If you are serious about your goal, every ounce lost is worth it. I’ve replaced just about every nut and bolt, minus critical suspension fasteners, with titanium or aluminum fasteners and would not want to think back how much everything had cost me so far 😂
Old 10-27-23, 08:50 AM
autovation
Intermediate

If you are serious about your goal, every ounce lost is worth it. I’ve replaced just about every nut and bolt, minus critical suspension fasteners, with titanium or aluminum fasteners and would not want to think back how much everything had cost me so far 😂
I follow your build thread... you're on a another level! The quality of your build is 1st class. On my build I'm drawing the line at measuring weight savings in "ounces", lol!

A couple other thoughts:
- Replacing Nav system with aftermarket Android tablet (not the OEM non-Nav radio, I have that in my bare bones IS350 and hate it...)
- Aftermarket headlights and taillights, these usually seem lighter weight than OEM counterparts
- I can do an even lighter weight lithium battery for another 10lbs in weight savings
- Remove the valve stem caps (rotating mass!)
- Is there an aftermarket aluminum radiator & fan combo?
Old 10-27-23, 09:16 AM
JT2MA71

I follow your build thread... you're on a another level! The quality of your build is 1st class. On my build I'm drawing the line at measuring weight savings in "ounces", lol!

A couple other thoughts:
- Replacing Nav system with aftermarket Android tablet (not the OEM non-Nav radio, I have that in my bare bones IS350 and hate it...)
- Aftermarket headlights and taillights, these usually seem lighter weight than OEM counterparts
- I can do an even lighter weight lithium battery for another 10lbs in weight savings
- Remove the valve stem caps (rotating mass!)
- Is there an aftermarket aluminum radiator & fan combo?
I prefer the factory nav/screen with the Grom VL2 to add CarPlay and Android, this added a little bit of weight, maybe a pound, if that.

Headlights and taillights, I again prefer the factory ones. I’ve never had aftermarket ones so I can’t confirm if they’re actually lighter. But in this case, if they are lighter, I’d still choose the reliability and simple looks, but functional factory ones.

Battery, Braille lithium in carbon case, I34ce is what I have and it’s around 10lbs.

Haven’t seen an aluminum rad and fan aftermarket combo, just aluminum rad. You can however look at some Fal fans/fan setup with custom shroud and
make it as efficient as the factory one, but lighter.
Old 10-27-23, 09:43 AM
autovation
Intermediate

I prefer the factory nav/screen with the Grom VL2 to add CarPlay and Android, this added a little bit of weight, maybe a pound, if that.

Headlights and taillights, I again prefer the factory ones. I’ve never had aftermarket ones so I can’t confirm if they’re actually lighter. But in this case, if they are lighter, I’d still choose the reliability and simple looks, but functional factory ones.

Battery, Braille lithium in carbon case, I34ce is what I have and it’s around 10lbs.

Haven’t seen an aluminum rad and fan aftermarket combo, just aluminum rad. You can however look at some Fal fans/fan setup with custom shroud and
make it as efficient as the factory one, but lighter.
Agree on the aftermarket headlights, will stay with OEM based on issues I've read others having. On the taillights, there are several options that I think are ok and have used on my IS350. Will update here with weights when I get to that point. Removing fog lights might save a few lbs as well.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction ???