IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weight Reduction ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 05:06 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,389 Likes on 638 Posts

Hi all,

I see this weight saving thread still gets good forum interest, so I thought I would introduce our new RR Racing Lithium battery. We have been looking for a *reliable* lightweight battery option for some time, but found the AGM based Braille and Odyssey not to be very reliable, so we gave up on the idea... until hearing about the new lithium battery technology that is making its way into the racing world.

We have tested this battery in our shop ISF for nearly 5 months and its been flawless. By testing I mean, driving it, storing the car, and intentionally discharging it numerous times just to try to get it to fail.

Some other features:
  • Comes with our Lexus specific mounting hardware "box" and terminal posts.
  • Our standard box colors are blue and silver powder coat, but we can do other powder coat colors on request.
  • Saves about 37lbs over the stock battery, which is huge considering that short of gutting your car, there aren't many ways of getting this kind of weight savings. Also the weight is all coming from the front of the car, so this is excellent for improving F/R weight distribution.
  • Battery comes with a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer, and special protection circuitry that protects the battery from damage due to discharging or short circuit.
  • Over 800 cranking amps and 16Ah reserve makes this a practical battery, not just for race use.
Rafi

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following users liked this post:
mikersoft (02-14-17)
Old 02-14-17, 05:27 AM
5ltrv8
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hi all,

I see this weight saving thread still gets good forum interest, so I thought I would introduce our new RR Racing Lithium battery. We have been looking for a *reliable* lightweight battery option for some time, but found the AGM based Braille and Odyssey not to be very reliable, so we gave up on the idea... until hearing about the new lithium battery technology that is making its way into the racing world.

We have tested this battery in our shop ISF for nearly 5 months and its been flawless. By testing I mean, driving it, storing the car, and intentionally discharging it numerous times just to try to get it to fail.

Some other features:
  • Our standard box colors are blue and silver powder coat, but we can do other powder coat colors on request.
  • Saves about 37lbs over the stock battery, which is huge considering that short of gutting your car, there aren't many ways of getting this kind of weight savings. Also the weight is all coming from the front of the car, so this is excellent for improving F/R weight distribution.
  • Battery comes with a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer, and special protection circuitry that protects the battery from damage due to discharging or short circuit.
  • Over 800 cranking amps and 16Ah reserve makes this a practical battery, not just for race use.
Rafi

loving this Rafi....appreciate your continual development for the community
Old 02-14-17, 05:54 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Very interesting.. I will soon be in the market to replace my original battery. I can tell it's near its EOL. I've been using a battery tender overnight when it's been really cold to kind of nurse it along till spring

-Mike
Old 02-14-17, 06:16 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi all,

Some other features:
Rafi

Nice,
When will it be available?
Old 02-14-17, 07:32 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

In for group buy and discount.
Old 02-14-17, 08:02 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi all,

Some other features:
Rafi

Exactly what the doctor ordered......can not wait....in it too if there is a group buy!
Old 02-14-17, 08:15 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi all,

Some other features:
Rafi

Rafi, my experience with running lithium ion batteries, is that they need a specific charger to charge them correctly. do these charge with the factory alternator? Also are they standard 14 volts or 16?
Old 02-14-17, 08:24 AM
davecape2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats great news about the battery. I've been looking at what to buy lately. Do you have the actual weight of the battery?
Old 02-14-17, 08:31 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

37 lb weight savings!!! He'll yea, count me in for a group by!
Old 02-14-17, 09:50 AM
veee8
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in for a group buy as well.
Old 02-14-17, 12:48 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

In the car audio world, lithium became very popular 2 years back. XS Power introduced a few different lithium batteries and the weight saving over an AGM battery was CRAZY....Like an AGM (of the same size) would weigh 80 lbs and the lithium would weigh 12-15 lbs tops.
Performance wise, they would perform as good as 3 of the same sized AGM batteries, making them even more attractive because you're now saving weight AND space, which is always a plus in our business.
Price wise, these batteries were $1700-$3600 EACH.....A lot of people and companies still bought them.
BUT, alot of alternator companies will not warranty their alts since alot of lithium batteries have been responsible for killing their alts. They definitely need to stay on a charger when not in use.
Also, lithium batteries have been responsible for TONS of vehicle fires in our line of work....I have not gambled on them as I don't want the risk.
YES, you'll save 3-4 times the weight over an AGM, YES, they wayy out perform AGM batteries.....Bt you do indeed put your alternator and vehicle at risk and the pricing is SUPER high.
But very interested in what this battery from RR will be priced at.

V.
The following users liked this post:
flowrider (02-14-17)
Old 02-14-17, 12:53 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Wow! Really?................ how does the lithium batteries kill the alternator ( just curious)?
Old 02-14-17, 03:01 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

They're on the website now...

-Mike

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-L...isflbat001.htm
Old 02-14-17, 04:17 PM
eternallx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks to be the battery that RR is using.

EarthX ET900
http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx900

Looks good.
Old 02-14-17, 06:59 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Wow! Really?................ how does the lithium batteries kill the alternator ( just curious)?
Really no short answer (that would make sense to someone with little in-depth knowledge of alternators/charging systems/etc), but this page will explain it in detail. From the same website eternallx just posted above.

Here.
http://earthxbatteries.com/engine-charging-systems-use-lithium-batteries

V.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction ???