Coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 10:10 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
You neglect to note that i'm running a 2" drop and there are no camber adjustments for the IS-F. I'm also running street tires (PS2's) and with the camber i'm sitting on about 3" of rubber in the back. I spin through 1st, 2nd.

He was not "stock".. running drag radials and removing your spare tire is not quite what i'd call stock; he also ran at one of the (known) notoriously fastest tracks in the country. Oh yeah, his run was also done at < 50F, as far as I recall.. if you read my information posted clearly at the beginning of the video, I was running at 83F at nearly 10:30PM. Regarding my "drag racing skills" there's not a whole lot to it in an automatic. My runs were reasonably consistent, but maybe i'm consistently bad...

The car will be going in for a slight retune, but i'm in more need of a camber kit than anything.

Maybe I need to call MHP?
Not sure how many runs you made, but with the power I'm seeing on the dyno chart you should be in the 11's with trap speeds of 120+. Keep practicing and get some sticky tires and represent the F.

FWI... my car was bone stock minus the removal of the spare for my 12.38 run. The wheels I used (stock IS350 wheels) are heavier than the stock IS-F's and the only reason for the drag tires was to maintain consistency off the line in the cold temps. As you know the PS2's are horrible off the line, so just imagine trying to get them to bite in <50 temps. This tire/wheel setup in no way shape or form helped me get a better time, but only made things easier and more predictable. Cold weather and a nice track were key and the reason why Maryland International Raceway has so many records.
Old 07-20-09, 10:27 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not gonna lie, I'm a little surprised by the numbers too. But I also have my F dropped and have experienced some loss in traction because of it. I wasn't sure if it was from the coils or what but I guess now I have an answer. I've heard a .1 improvement in your 60' translates to a .2 improvement at the 1/4 mile mark. If that is true, just work on that launch, short stage as Toothdoc says, and you should be close to 11's.

Good luck!!
Old 07-20-09, 11:27 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Not sure how many runs you made, but with the power I'm seeing on the dyno chart you should be in the 11's with trap speeds of 120+. Keep practicing and get some sticky tires and represent the F.

FWI... my car was bone stock minus the removal of the spare for my 12.38 run. The wheels I used (stock IS350 wheels) are heavier than the stock IS-F's and the only reason for the drag tires was to maintain consistency off the line in the cold temps. As you know the PS2's are horrible off the line, so just imagine trying to get them to bite in <50 temps. This tire/wheel setup in no way shape or form helped me get a better time, but only made things easier and more predictable. Cold weather and a nice track were key and the reason why Maryland International Raceway has so many records.
I'm a little confused. You said you used the IS350 wheels with DR's so you were able to maintain consistency off the line; and that PS2's are horrible if the line.. but then you say "no way shape or form helped you get a better time". Do you plan on returning to the same track soon? I'd be very curious as to what your car runs in the 1/4 with stock PS2's and spare tire.
Old 07-20-09, 11:30 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Not gonna lie, I'm a little surprised by the numbers too. But I also have my F dropped and have experienced some loss in traction because of it. I wasn't sure if it was from the coils or what but I guess now I have an answer. I've heard a .1 improvement in your 60' translates to a .2 improvement at the 1/4 mile mark. If that is true, just work on that launch, short stage as Toothdoc says, and you should be close to 11's.

Good luck!!
I am short staging, normally. It doesn't help my tires hook up any better.
Again - it was 83F with insane humidity which no one seems to be taking into account (which I find interesting)... the mustang that I ran last normally runs low-mid 10's but ran 11's that night. He was complaining about the insane conditions as well (heat, humidity).

NOT to blame it on the track, but the track was VERY poorly prepped that night as well. It's normally extremely clean and well prepped, but it was a mess that night. Do i think it made a 1+ sec diff in my 1/4 times? No.

PS - if you are running coils with a big drop take a look at the insides of your tires....
Old 07-20-09, 11:32 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

DAMN, that thing is beastly!
Old 07-20-09, 11:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

I'm a little confused. You said you used the IS350 wheels with DR's so you were able to maintain consistency off the line; and that PS2's are horrible if the line.. but then you say "no way shape or form helped you get a better time". Do you plan on returning to the same track soon? I'd be very curious as to what your car runs in the 1/4 with stock PS2's and spare tire.
What I have found is that if the outdoor temps are greater than around 50f+ with direct sunlight on the track and the vht is sprayed, the stock wheels and PS2's work just fine. When the outdoor temps drop in the low 50's or colder the PS2's even when the track is warm just doesn't bite and they'll spin off the line 50% of the time. This is where the drag radials come to play in that they can be heated up to allow grip even when it's cold. If I could afford it I'd have had them mounted on some nice lightweight rims.

I'm planning to go back to the same track this fall with the new exhaust and intake and see how it goes.
Old 07-20-09, 12:23 PM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am short staging, normally. It doesn't help my tires hook up any better.
Again - it was 83F with insane humidity which no one seems to be taking into account (which I find interesting)... the mustang that I ran last normally runs low-mid 10's but ran 11's that night. He was complaining about the insane conditions as well (heat, humidity).

NOT to blame it on the track, but the track was VERY poorly prepped that night as well. It's normally extremely clean and well prepped, but it was a mess that night. Do i think it made a 1+ sec diff in my 1/4 times? No.

PS - if you are running coils with a big drop take a look at the insides of your tires....
oztiks
what were youre 60'?
Old 07-20-09, 01:14 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

(Finally a good question!)

At work now and slip scans are at home so I can't post them but i can see them.. :

60': 2.088, 2.097, 2.104 (that's in the order of the runs, too)

My runs from 3 months ago with my Bridgestones and no NOS were 2.133, and 2.174

I'll try and post the slips from my NOS runs later tonight. I know the track numbers are less than "amazing" (which is not a big deal to me, because I am aware of the camber issue)... the "open road" numbers are drastically better.
Old 07-20-09, 01:20 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

At work now and slip scans are at home so I can't post them but i can see them.. :

I'll try and post the slips from my NOS runs later tonight. I know the track numbers are less than "amazing" (which is not a big deal to me, because I am aware of the camber issue)... the "open road" numbers are drastically better.
Your 60' times with the N20 setup aren't bad. I'm guessing based on your dyno chart that when you say you lose traction, that it's after the 60' mark when the N20 gets flowing?
Old 07-20-09, 01:23 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

We need to go to the track and see what type of things we can do to improve our 60's. I havnt been able to hook up either at this track. Hopefully everything will fall into line sooner than later.
Old 07-20-09, 01:41 PM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info
if you can you should tkae a incar video. that should be awsome.

anyway thanks for sharing with us hope you keep trying and let us know how it goes.

can you give us more details on the kit. like how much for the kit? and what other parts you are using to tune the car? hows the a/f ratio?

let see some street driving jejejejejejejej
ALf
Old 07-20-09, 02:03 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe I need to call MHP?

Good Luck! He is very busy "convincing" the SRT guys (Jeep from what I've seen) with the same dog and pony show he did here on CL. I tried to warn em, but he got pretty defensive.

Enough about that, NOS!!!!!!
Old 07-20-09, 04:39 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Your 60' times with the N20 setup aren't bad. I'm guessing based on your dyno chart that when you say you lose traction, that it's after the 60' mark when the N20 gets flowing?
I have a first gear lockout for the NOS; and off the top of my head I can't say what gear i'm in by 60' Sometimes I hit the track in just the wrong way to where I spin all the way through first gear. Sometimes it hooks up and runs fine. They have varying levels of track preparation there.. I ended up sticking to the left lane the whole night because I was running +1-2 ET's in the right lane.

PS.. rendering the track video again right now with the "original" sound. The reason I left it out is because the people recording sound like 'tards during the whole thing and quite frankly it's embarassing.

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
We need to go to the track and see what type of things we can do to improve our 60's. I havnt been able to hook up either at this track. Hopefully everything will fall into line sooner than later.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by anajri
thanks for the info
if you can you should tkae a incar video. that should be awsome.

anyway thanks for sharing with us hope you keep trying and let us know how it goes.

can you give us more details on the kit. like how much for the kit? and what other parts you are using to tune the car? hows the a/f ratio?

let see some street driving jejejejejejejej
ALf
I will definitely try and get some in car video. I actually had some fun on the way back from the Florida/Miami meet on sunday with the SC guys. I wish I had it recorded!
Old 07-20-09, 04:56 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I am "1277", "BLACK" and (BLANK)

Old 07-20-09, 05:10 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Same track video with "original" audio. Not much to hear. The -F just isn't that loud from far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz-DroiAAqo

Quick Reply: Coming soon...