IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A refreshing trip to the dealer for service

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 10:23 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default A refreshing trip to the dealer for service

Well I am the type of person that likes to service my own vehicles, even the F. That is why I purchased the service manuals nearly the same day as the car, and why I refused to pay $50 to have my oil filter changed.....Well, after struggling to get the alloy canister off (actually breaking a spot welded filter wrench) I decided to take it in. I run Amsoil sig series oil and UOA so the oil change needs are every year as far as I am concerned. But the new filter is a PITA.

So there I was, filter in hand, and a topper quart. I was shocked when the service associate said that it was straight forward and that she would comp it. So I sat and ate a fresh muffin while my car got washed. I often forget it, but I guess that is what the dealer service experience is all about. Sure I paid a lot for the car, butI guess its the little things that make you feel good you made the right decision.

Now that said, I would probably just try to remove the canister when things are warm and loose next time, but its nice to know every dealer is not out to screw..this time

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-09-09, 12:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Was this your first oil change?? I'm pretty sure Lexus does the first oil change for free for all their cars. haha
Old 07-09-09, 04:40 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Was this your first oil change?? I'm pretty sure Lexus does the first oil change for free for all their cars. haha
1K - Inspection Free
5k - Oil change, Inspections Free
10k - Pay up
Old 07-09-09, 05:18 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's only $50 for oil change and you get a free car wash
Old 07-09-09, 05:42 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nope, obviously I already used that up getting the amsoil IN there In fact I had already had a scheduled appt that I bailed on previously because I could not stomach paying to have the filter swapped out. 14K on the car at the moment.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 07-09-09, 05:44 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by malujerry
it's only $50 for oil change and you get a free car wash
not "Free" in that case. Or even in my case...its just the fact that they accepted the previous form of payment haha.
Old 07-09-09, 08:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

You bought the books? TIS is way cheaper and gives you a lot more information. I'll never buy the books again when I can pay $350 a year for TIS.
Old 07-09-09, 09:03 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Sorry, but what's TIS?
Old 07-09-09, 09:14 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You bought the books? TIS is way cheaper and gives you a lot more information. I'll never buy the books again when I can pay $350 a year for TIS.
TIS is awesome, but I can't use it at home =(.
Old 07-09-09, 09:15 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

I took my F into the dealer last week for the 5K, and because I have always run Mobil 1 in my performance cars I purchased and brought in my own oil. The service went smooth and quick, and I was out of there in just over an hour. But when I got home to put away the remainder of the oil, expecting to see 2 of the 12 quarts left, I found 4. I thought WTF don't they know this car holds 10 quarts. I checked the dip stick and found it to be 2 quarts low, so I added the additional oil, and called the service manager who apologized and said he would speak to the tech.

I have never been a big fan of dealers for minor services for the reason, I believe they are more concerned with quantity vs. quality.
Old 07-09-09, 10:56 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I did not pay that for the books...and besides they are better when you have the engine apart with grimy hands...that is what books are for. I must be old fashioned.
Old 07-09-09, 12:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by FIGS
I did not pay that for the books...and besides they are better when you have the engine apart with grimy hands...that is what books are for. I must be old fashioned.
I just print what I need if I expect to get it dirty. The other big advantage to TIS is the information gets updated and corrected, so you always have the most current information.

Old fashioned? I'll be 50 next year...
Old 07-09-09, 12:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by hblexus07
I took my F into the dealer last week for the 5K, and because I have always run Mobil 1 in my performance cars I purchased and brought in my own oil. The service went smooth and quick, and I was out of there in just over an hour. But when I got home to put away the remainder of the oil, expecting to see 2 of the 12 quarts left, I found 4. I thought WTF don't they know this car holds 10 quarts. I checked the dip stick and found it to be 2 quarts low, so I added the additional oil, and called the service manager who apologized and said he would speak to the tech.

I have never been a big fan of dealers for minor services for the reason, I believe they are more concerned with quantity vs. quality.
I took Red Line 10w-30 to the dealer because I didn't have time to do it myself. The oil coked in 5k miles in my Supra. Red Line only cokes when you exceed 350+ degrees. I surely didn't. They put Pennzoil in it and kept my Red Line for themselves. Never again!
Old 07-09-09, 12:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ilocke
Sorry, but what's TIS?
https://techinfo.toyota.com

Everything about every Scion/Toyota/Lexus for the last 19 years (or more) online. Not to mention they have access to all the Toyota training materials so you can learn about the systems from the same materials the techs use. Toss in New Car Features about every car and truck they make and you've got a whole library of information for less than a dollar a day. If I were a business I wouldn't even think twice about subscribing - it beats Alldata to shreds for depth.
Old 07-09-09, 12:37 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait a sec.. you let the dealer wash your car?!?

Quick Reply: A refreshing trip to the dealer for service