IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SpeechLess About Joe Z & Intake & Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 02:55 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK now I know what you guys mean - I can give you a first hand impression of the exhaust coming back from the city....WOW!

Initial start up is a nice growl and if you were to blindfold me I'd swear it sounds like a European exotic car! The growl snaps as the car comes to life and idles a bit loud for a minute before settling to a nice rumble.

Driving in manual mode is so much fun just to hear the exhaust in each gear. The sound is deep but not annoying. Even though it was hot outside I left the window down just to enjoy the sound a bit. People take notice and it seems to attract Civics and every type of ricer not to race but to get next to me just to hear the car I'm guessing.

Windows up, A/C on, the cabin is whisper quiet for phone conversations or just to enjoy the M/L system which is stunning by the way!

Got back to my office and had a chance to park next to a Aston Martin DB9 to compare exhaust sounds. I swear the two cars have a very similiar tone at idle and WOT - deep "burble" that turns into a scream as they hit the upper RPM's.

I'm still smiling and eager to get the car home to install the coils. I haven't had this much fun in a while but once in a while I still go for the clutch pedal thinking the ISF is a manual...haha

JoeZ you make an awesome product! Props!

rick
Old 07-15-09, 04:24 PM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep - concur 100%.

you should have seen the look on the guys at Lexus of Colorado Springs when i pulled into their service bay with all but one door shut... and gunned it when i put it in park before turning it off...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

all the "typical lexus owners" (i.e. 50+ yrs old) in the service dept. snapped their heads around to see what the hell was goin on...

priceless.
Old 07-16-09, 02:38 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was really wanting to hear this exhaust in person but no one around here has it (not many ISF's for that matter). But this thread was the straw that did it. Ordered the Joe Z exhaust and intake today based on the testimonial's and Joe 'Z's professionalism in his postings.
Old 07-16-09, 02:44 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sungkyo
Well I was really wanting to hear this exhaust in person but no one around here has it (not many ISF's for that matter). But this thread was the straw that did it. Ordered the Joe Z exhaust and intake today based on the testimonial's and Joe 'Z's professionalism in his postings.
I assure you this will be the best purchase you ever made next to your ISf
Btw make sure you also get the Tom's drop in filter.
Old 07-16-09, 03:10 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Just ordered my intake/exhaust through Carson, should be arriving in a few weeks. Super excited, the car is way too quite in stock form.

-Kevin
Old 07-16-09, 07:51 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

Well Louis was busy at Carson today cause thats where I ordered mine as well today
Old 07-16-09, 09:09 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

For those who are just getting the JoeZ exhaust, be warned, it's going to be loud INITIALLY! It's going to take a couple 100 miles for it to break in properly and quite down a bit to where it's absolutely perfect...not too quiet, not too loud. I was at first thinking that a made a mistake because it was so loud, but after about 600 miles it mellowed down significantly. Trust me, you won't regret this purchase...I wish I could say that of all of my aftermarket mods!...Darshana S...
Old 07-17-09, 12:17 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Put it to you like this....

sometimes I catch myself turning down my music, JUST so I can hear that exhaust purrr
Old 07-17-09, 01:23 AM
batdude
Driver

personally, i search out big freeway overpasses... and sections of road with concrete on both sides...

then it's to M mode and let 1st and 2nd sing out to redline

gives me goosebumps

doug
Old 07-17-09, 03:41 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by batdude
personally, i search out big freeway overpasses... and sections of road with concrete on both sides...

gives me goosebumps

doug
or parking garages, you can make this exhaust obnoxiously loud if wanted to prove your manhood. i personally love the roar when letting off the gas at 4k rpm while slowing down in traffic, even old people do a double take to make sure it came from a lexus.
Old 07-17-09, 08:54 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Put it to you like this....

sometimes I catch myself turning down my music, JUST so I can hear that exhaust purrr

+1.....Sometimes it's a hard choice btw. the exhaust and the ML tunes...
Life's tough.....

C.
Old 07-17-09, 09:21 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batdude

gives me goosebumps

doug
Originally Posted by malujerry
or parking garages, you can make this exhaust obnoxiously loud if wanted to prove your manhood. i personally love the roar when letting off the gas at 4k rpm while slowing down in traffic, even old people do a double take to make sure it came from a lexus.
Totally agree. My drive home from work consists of two or more rather large underpasses. Most every time I drop it in nuetral and give it the juice. Sounds like the beast coming out of its cave to hunt! I love it!!! Sure turns heads
Old 07-17-09, 09:36 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

JZ intake

JZ exhaust

These pics were taken on a recent run along the coast in Palos Verdes, but I too love the mods. I said it before the car should have come this way.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 07-17-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 07:03 AM
Sungkyo
Driver

For those who are just getting the JoeZ exhaust, be warned, it's going to be loud INITIALLY! It's going to take a couple 100 miles for it to break in properly and quite down a bit to where it's absolutely perfect...not too quiet, not too loud. I was at first thinking that a made a mistake because it was so loud, but after about 600 miles it mellowed down significantly. Trust me, you won't regret this purchase...I wish I could say that of all of my aftermarket mods!...Darshana S...
I have read this a couple times on this board. I dont understand how metal pipes can change their sound after a while? Do you think you guys are just getting used to it and it doesnt seem as loud? Same thing happens with power. You get a new car/bike and it seems fast as hell at first then you just get used to it.
Old 07-19-09, 08:02 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sungkyo
I have read this a couple times on this board. I dont understand how metal pipes can change their sound after a while? Do you think you guys are just getting used to it and it doesnt seem as loud? Same thing happens with power. You get a new car/bike and it seems fast as hell at first then you just get used to it.
It maybe a combo of getting used to the sound and also the exhaust packing in the muffler getting properly broken in with the exhaust heat...Darshana S...

Quick Reply: SpeechLess About Joe Z & Intake & Exhaust