IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the Ultrasonic Blue Mica rare?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 12:07 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke
Of course the dealer will make money. The color won't be a factor in this deal (in my opinion).
I agree. I own the '08 outright, tax and licensing would only be on the difference, plus title.

The blue is pretty (as are all the colors), but it doesn't touch me on an emotional level. It would if the exclusivity was *actual*. I think it was held out as bait, in case I might.

I think I can now pass on this particular opportunity. Many thanks for the sensible comments from all.
Old 07-12-09, 02:01 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Did any owner with USB chime in? ha ha

Is USB rare? I'd say so. Is it worth a trade? Depends on whether you like it or not. When I bought my F, it had to be USB. I wasn't going to settle for anything else. So to me, it's worth it. But if you bought SGM, then that's probably your 1st preference. I highly doubt that the paint quality is any different than your SGM though. Take a closer look.

malujerry: Have you seen the USB in person? It's quite different than any of the blue cars that you posted. The ones you posted are all blue tones, but USB has a slight purple pearl to it that really "pops". The VW R32 blue might be a close match.

The first thing that most people ask me is how much it cost to paint the car. They are always surprised when I tell them it's stock.
Old 07-12-09, 08:05 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Primecut....I was really not looking to buy an IS-F at all....I took my friend in to get his and while browsing i saw USB with Alpine interior and i could not resist USB just stood out compared to other colors in person! I am not saying SGM is bad...I love SGM on F...If its clean Every color looks right on the F
Old 07-12-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

I'm pretty pissed the Blue will be on the IS-C I really think it should have been IS-F exclusive.
GS 400 and IS 300 had blue as well

Old 07-12-09, 02:09 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut
malujerry: Have you seen the USB in person?
Yeah, I actually put a deposit on a blue one first, but wifey vetoed it - she thought it looked too trendy, as well as about half of my friends (the same ones who aren't into cars). I personally felt the F is rare and I thought most ISF came in blue anyways. In the end, I decided a sporty F with a classy color of white is the way to go for me. I agree with you that the ISF's blue has a purple tone to it, I just felt most people wouldn't notice it.

At the time of my purchase, I was actually in the market for a white M3. So this was a perfect -$15,000 substitute.
Old 07-12-09, 02:19 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Hmm the dealer would make a profit but its all up to you. I would take the your color over ultrasonic blue any time (buts thats me) i like dark colored cars because they dont stand out much . but if they had a matador red mica IS-F i would trade because that color looks great. Also sort of unrelated? How many IS-F's have you seen in your area? I still havent seen any in my area. And ive been looking but havent seen any?
Old 07-12-09, 03:43 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

USB is an acquired taste, IMO. In a shade during day lights, it shows more 'purple' and it may be too much bling for some.

It was either USB or an M3 for us

Originally Posted by primecut
Did any owner with USB chime in? ha ha

Is USB rare? I'd say so. Is it worth a trade? Depends on whether you like it or not. When I bought my F, it had to be USB. I wasn't going to settle for anything else. So to me, it's worth it. But if you bought SGM, then that's probably your 1st preference. I highly doubt that the paint quality is any different than your SGM though. Take a closer look.

malujerry: Have you seen the USB in person? It's quite different than any of the blue cars that you posted. The ones you posted are all blue tones, but USB has a slight purple pearl to it that really "pops". The VW R32 blue might be a close match.

The first thing that most people ask me is how much it cost to paint the car. They are always surprised when I tell them it's stock.
Old 07-12-09, 04:18 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

^ Yea it's definitely a more flashy color, and some prefer a more understated look, which is great also. I guess I've always been into bright colors. My last 3 car colors: Yellow, Lemans Sunset, and now USB. I actually wished that they carried over the yellow from the IS300, maybe add some metallic elements to it. It might have been my first choice!

malujerry: Yea AW is probably the best color on the m3. Have you seen the brilliant white? It's metallic and closer to Starfire Pearl. I think it looks even better than AW.
Old 07-12-09, 05:43 PM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, someone in colorado with an F?

mine is USB, I am down in the springs....and i think the color makes the car. i've owned a variety of cars over the years, in all different colors... and the USB is the best I've had yet.

doug
Old 07-12-09, 06:40 PM
mondo540
Driver

I can't see how this won't be at a minimum $7k dif and prob. more....I have an '08 SGM w/ 14K miles so a bit more than you and had someone quote me on a new '08 (not '09) USB just for grins.....it was around 7500 difference w/o me haggling.....there's no incentive money on '09's that I am aware of so just can't see how it could be done reasonably for you. Will be curious what number he comes back with.
Old 07-12-09, 08:54 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by mondo540
I can't see how this won't be at a minimum $7k dif and prob. more....I have an '08 SGM w/ 14K miles so a bit more than you and had someone quote me on a new '08 (not '09) USB just for grins.....it was around 7500 difference w/o me haggling.....there's no incentive money on '09's that I am aware of so just can't see how it could be done reasonably for you. Will be curious what number he comes back with.
I think you're right, it should be more. I'm not going to pursue it with him because the hook was that the blue might be rare, and that it was an '09. When you remove the uniqueness factor of the blue color out of consideration, I really actually prefer the SGM color I already have. When I saw the SGM on the showroom, I bought it on the spot. The appeal of the blue I think had more to do with what he said about it than how I felt about it. The IS-F is a great looking car in any of the colors. I also think there's some uniqueness just attached to the car itself.
Old 07-12-09, 08:56 PM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

just keep your Smoky granite better color than blue
Old 07-13-09, 08:31 AM
Necros
Driver School Candidate

Heh, I was just sitting in that car this weekend! Ended up test driving the silver one, since it was already outside, but the blue is incredible in person. I had only seen pictures before. I was all set on an Obsidian one, but now I have some thinking to do, and might hafta shift to USB...
Old 07-13-09, 01:56 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if SGM was your first choice then stick to it, Maybe $3000 or someone less might be resonable. Anything more I would question it. Stick to your gut. I have an USB and I love the color and with the touch of purple its looks good. Also alot of manufacturers carry blue in their lineup. The blue in the 2006-08 RS4 is very nice I like it. There are a couple of colors that would look great on the F like the solar yellow off the IS300 and the mystic off the 1996-04 Mustang Cobra's.
Old 07-13-09, 02:07 PM
nol300
Driver School Candidate

I am in Denver and Love how the USB stands out and I am glad I bought that color as I almost bought white. Is it worth it to trade doubtful. Is it rare I am in Denver and have yet to see another one which I like but I have not seen a Smokey Granite either.

Quick Reply: Is the Ultrasonic Blue Mica rare?