IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the Ultrasonic Blue Mica rare?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 10:44 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Ultrasonic Blue Mica rare?

Here's the deal. I bought an '08 smokey granite mica IS-F in February (pictured in the photography thread). I love the car. It's not my daily driver, it has now just under 3,000 miles. It's showroom fresh.

I took it in today for its first service, the free oil change. My salesman spotted me driving it in, took me by the arm to the showroom and showed me the '09 Ultrasonic Blue Mica pictured below. He was really twisting on me to trade for it, while not really saying it's "rare" per se, but it's the first they've had in that color. Now keep in mind, he's a bit addled from a full time job that has him staring at silver and pearl. It doesn't make any sense that I can figure out why to pitch me, but he was adamant he could make a deal right.

Now to be perfectly honest, I really like my Smokey Gray Mica, and I think my paint job is better, as the blue has some orange peel. But it is pretty, it is an '09, and it does have a little more warranty, little newer tires and brakes, and I do like the bezel around the center console cluster adds a bit of class over the '08.

I want to know what you think about the color and his comments. Don't try to get inside of MY head, because I'm perfectly satisfied with what I have. It's easy for me to stay pat, and be 100% content. That said, dollar signs get my attention. He says (and I know this is true for Denver), that IS-F's are slow movers, a fairly hard sell.

How much would it take to get into that car, my trade plus cash?

Secondly, not asking if you would do it. I'm sure most would not, but what do you think of the ultrasonic blue in general? Special or ordinary? Although it may be rare for Denver, I've certainly seen pics of them posted in the photography thread.

I had my camera bag so I took a couple pics of it. Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-11-09, 10:55 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Why dont you ask him how much of a difference it is before you start thinking about all this? Its do-able if he says your car and lets just say $3000 cash, but what if he says your car and $8000 cash? would you still consider it at that price? the blue is indeed an isf exclusive color if you ask me. I want a blue one also instead of my silver one but hell no am I gonna pay more than $3000 plus my car for a 09. I would keep your dark grey one unless he offers you a killer irresistible deal. Keep us posted on the price the dealer wants plus your car for theirs, If you find out a ballpark number, we can then give more suggestions.
Old 07-11-09, 11:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why does the dealer want to trade a new IS-F for a used one?
Old 07-11-09, 11:13 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesn't have headlight washers or park assist... i love those options. but what is the price difference?

Name:  LexusISC10-Blue1.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  14.5 KB

the blue will be on the convertible, so it will be even less rare at this point. i personally don't think the blue it all that exclusive, to the average person i doubt it will make a real difference. i would say save your money for a 2010 with a real LSD, possibly

Lexus - not too different from the SC's RSP
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sc300-rsp.html
Name:  bluesc300.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  28.7 KB

other manufacturers have already done a version of special blue as well....

M3
Name:  2542194894_7c2c062114.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  72.7 KB

S4

SI
Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  53.8 KB

Type S
Name:  2008-acura-tl-type-s-0001.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  53.9 KB

ZR-1
Name:  blue_corvette_.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  86.3 KB

Ferrari (which i think looks closest to the ISF)
Name:  2773829140032678210ofhxpo1.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  117.5 KB
Lamborghini
Name:  lamborghini-matte-blue-1.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  33.2 KB

My favorite
Name:  blue-special-edition-bugatti-veyron.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  45.0 KB

Last edited by malujerry; 07-12-09 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 11:14 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Its do-able if he says your car and lets just say $3000 cash, but what if he says your car and $8000 cash?
I'll ask him on Monday. To answer your question, I've never had a new car I've even considered trading that soon, the depreciation hit just puts it out of the question. But I really appreciate your venturing a guess on the numbers like you did. And to give you an answer off the top of my head, I would go $5,000 to $5,500 cash, but I'd be shocked if it depreciated by only that amount, going from a used car and a model year older. If he said $8,000 I would not do it, but would not be surprised if he asked $10k. But the wild card is never having owned anything that could preserve resale like a Lexus. NEVER have I heard of any car that didn't drop by thousands more the instant I drove off in it.
Old 07-11-09, 11:16 PM
Flash 3
Driver School Candidate

If you were thinking of trading your F for a new one, I'd wait for the '10.
Old 07-11-09, 11:19 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by malujerry
it doesn't have headlight washers or park assist... i love those options.
Neither does my '08.

i personally don't think the blue it all that exclusive - other manufacturers have already done a version of special blue....
I saw the color on a Ford Ranger pickup...
Old 07-11-09, 11:21 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I saw the color on a Ford Ranger pickup...
Exactly, I personally don't understand how people buy into a "special color" just because it comes in one or two limited models. Unless it changes colors, I don't think it's all that exclusive in the real world.
Old 07-11-09, 11:29 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

I could be wrong, but I don't think the blue is available for the ISX50, is it? If that's correct, the blue would be "rare" amongst other new gen IS cars. I don't think the color is rare for cars in general though.

Your SGM is practically new still, so I think it just comes down to the color and whether you like it enough to pay more money for it. You could probably take that money though and get your current F painted a real custom "rare" color though.
Old 07-11-09, 11:29 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Why does the dealer want to trade a new IS-F for a used one?
It wouldn't seem to make any sense, unless he can make money. Putting a price on the transaction should be illustrative. How much do YOU think?

(To my way of thinking, the color should not even be a factor, unless there really is limited supply.)
Old 07-11-09, 11:35 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
It wouldn't seem to make any sense, unless he can make money.
Of course the dealer will make money. The color won't be a factor in this deal (in my opinion). There's a dollar amount you owe (I'm assuming) on your loan for your current F. Then, there's what the dealer will give you, which will probably be close to the book value, so maybe go look that up to get an indicator. Assuming you put a "regular amount" down and just made your regular payments, you will be upside down. Depending on what you originally bought your F for, it could be to the tune of $10,000.

Then you figure the price for the new F, plus TTL.
Old 07-11-09, 11:35 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Guys Guys, when I said exclusive, I meant that only the isf gets that blue, not the 250 or the 350, thats what i meant. Blue is a very common color for all manufactures now.
Old 07-11-09, 11:42 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I wouldnt do it for $5000-$5500, thats too much, especially when you dont seem like you are in desperate needs of that color. the 09s are basically the same exact cars as the 08s. So it comes down to the color. I rather use the money and get a gtr instead. hehe you figure your trade in value is around $47ish and the skyline is around $70? I rather pay $70k for a skyline than pay $56ish for a IsF. I picked up my IsF for $49,500 and thats the only reason I picked it up.
Old 07-11-09, 11:51 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Although I like all the colors, if I thought all had equal availability and I could have my choice, the ultrasonic blue and matador red are probably the two colors I would normally avoid.

What I have never seen, is the terra cotta and black leather.
Old 07-12-09, 12:04 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Sounds like you should keep your SGM then... I know I know, you didn't ask that though.

Quick Reply: Is the Ultrasonic Blue Mica rare?