IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I got a "No Front Plate" Ticket, arg! Are there any tow hook mount solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 03:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I got a "No Front Plate" Ticket, arg! Are there any tow hook mount solutions?

So I got a fix it ticket for not having a front plate on the F. Is there a plate mounting solution that uses the Towing hook bracket for the IS-F? I found the Rho-Plate solution but it is only for ISX50's and not the F. Will it interfere with the parking sensors?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-13-09, 04:27 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
So I got a fix it ticket for not having a front plate on the F. Is there a plate mounting solution that uses the Towing hook bracket for the IS-F? I found the Rho-Plate solution but it is only for ISX50's and not the F. Will it interfere with the parking sensors?

Thanks,
Andy
where in cali are you? so I know to avoid that area.
Old 07-13-09, 05:59 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to get one of those hide-away-plates... anyone know if there is a kit for the F
Old 07-13-09, 06:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a cop friend or family member, just have them sign the fix-it ticket.
Old 07-13-09, 06:30 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think they have the towhook solution on the IS.. you might want to ask in the 2IS forums though. I decided that it's not worth it to give the cops a reason to pull you over, so I have a front plate on. It's the law afterall. I mean, yea it doesn't look as good, but the peace of mind is worth it IMO. I didn't have a front plate on my previous car and I got really tired of having to get it signed off and doing all the paperwork. It's just not worth it.
Old 07-13-09, 08:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

No SMOG Check II, no front plate, maximum income tax rate 6%, no stupid assault rifle laws, higher pay, drastically cheaper housing,...yes, there were some really nice small benefits to putting California in the rear view permanently two years ago.
Old 07-13-09, 08:21 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

It happened in San Francisco. It seems that whatever community runs photo ticketing for speed or traffic lights will ticket all the time on this. It's a big revenue generator. My neighbor is in law enforcement and will sign it off for me. I'm looking to do the right thing and not drill holes so that is the purpose of the post. Not to start a debate over what is legal, etc.

I talked with the Rho-Plate people today and I am going to be helping them design their set up for the IS-F. I will let you know how it goes.

AA
Old 07-13-09, 09:19 PM
cm09578
Lead Lap

I put my front plate on the lower mesh grill, I had to bend it to get it to fit. I used some thin black wire to put it on. Looks good, and I didn't have to drill the bumper!
Old 07-13-09, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't mind two holes on the bottom side of bumper air dam

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ble-holes.html
Old 07-13-09, 10:21 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cm09578
I put my front plate on the lower mesh grill, I had to bend it to get it to fit. I used some thin black wire to put it on. Looks good, and I didn't have to drill the bumper!
Care to share some pictures?
Old 07-13-09, 10:54 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks,
Andy
Malujerry posted this a while back. This might be a good solution for you. A retractable lic. plate.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nse-plate.html

Site where product is located
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...abdf4397e53909
Old 07-13-09, 11:21 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use high strength magnets embedded behind the bumper and then you can just remove it or stick it on at will - works great for going into areas that you know are police patrolled!

Those hide-away plates are not only stupid but ugly. What you going to tell the cop after he pulls you over? Using those things clearly shows you know the law and wants to circumvent it....my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-09, 10:48 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just got a ticket for no front licence plate. i have 08 IS-F and the front lower grill seems like it has just enough space for the front plates. So i was going to use either zipties or really long screw to hold it with a washer on the back of the grill. may b you can try the same for the IS x50...
but it seems like the "L" bracket makes sense too...

I also think that the hide plate is kinda stupid there are alot of chance of breaking it cuz of the clearance...
Old 07-14-09, 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
I also just got a ticket for no front licence plate. i have 08 IS-F and the front lower grill seems like it has just enough space for the front plates. So i was going to use either zipties or really long screw to hold it with a washer on the back of the grill. may b you can try the same for the IS x50...
but it seems like the "L" bracket makes sense too...

I also think that the hide plate is kinda stupid there are alot of chance of breaking it cuz of the clearance...
yup, not only does the hide-away plate take away clearance, if you think about the design, when you scrape going up / down driveway, the whole license plate is actually "caught" and stuck, and if you more further, very easily can you rip the whole mechanism out together with part of your bumper. not pretty
Old 07-14-09, 12:51 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

...Is there a plate mounting solution that uses the Towing hook bracket for the IS-F? I found the Rho-Plate solution but it is only for ISX50's and not the F. Will it interfere with the parking sensors?

Thanks,
Andy
You have any pics of the F tow hook? It can't be that hard to fab up.

Quick Reply: I got a "No Front Plate" Ticket, arg! Are there any tow hook mount solutions?