IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

homelink

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 10:42 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default homelink

hey guys i am wondering how do you program the garage remote? i read the manual and followed the directions but it will not work.

i tried to program it at my old home, and it didnt work and now at my new house i moved to it still wont work.

i hold down the home link button and then hold down the garage remote button for like 30 seconds and nothing happens the homlink button just keeps flashing slowly. i tried this with the 1st,middle, and 3rd home link buttons with no avail. am i missing something?
Old 07-16-09, 05:18 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

What ... You can program your garage dorr opener to open from the car?

BTW, Sorry I can't be of any help....
Old 07-16-09, 05:46 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lx470man
hey guys i am wondering how do you program the garage remote? i read the manual and followed the directions but it will not work.

i tried to program it at my old home, and it didnt work and now at my new house i moved to it still wont work.

i hold down the home link button and then hold down the garage remote button for like 30 seconds and nothing happens the homlink button just keeps flashing slowly. i tried this with the 1st,middle, and 3rd home link buttons with no avail. am i missing something?
are you holding the remote right next the mirror? like touching it?

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
What ... You can program your garage dorr opener to open from the car?

BTW, Sorry I can't be of any help....
yes, i'm sure standard on U.S. spec F's. i have no idea why you get a t.v. button and not that.
Old 07-16-09, 07:55 AM
nol300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried everything from the manual and the homelink website and still can't get it to take.
Old 07-16-09, 09:02 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You probably have one of the newer rolling code garage openers so you have to follow a different process. I've done this over a dozen times now and the manual is not clear so do this:

***First park your car inside the garage safely so it does not get in way of garage door since it will close when you do the programming. Park near the MAIN unit but be sure you can reach the "LEARN" button on the back of the main unit for step 3.

(button is most likely a red, blue or orange button depending on what frequency you have)

1) Hold buttons 1 and 3 down and wait 20 seconds till the LED starts to flash rapidly (this engages the learning mode and clears out all the old codes)

2) Hold the button you want to program and the LED will glow. Next press and hold your garage remote next to it until the LED goes from slow blink to fast blink which means it's learned the code BUT WAIT YOU ARE NOT DONE!

3) Quickly get out of car and press the LEARN button on main unit, next hop back into car and press the car button you just programmed once, then press again. This syncronizes the rolling code and if you do things right, you will see the garage light blink twice. Press it a third time and your garage will work!

Now you don't need the pesky remote anymore!!!

rick
Old 07-16-09, 09:13 AM
YJacketISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, I know this might sound dumb, but I knew how to program rolling codes, etc etc, and ran into the same problem as you and turns out for some reason I wasn't able to program it with the car turned off. =P So if you're doing it with the car off, it won't program.
Old 07-16-09, 09:31 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YJacketISF
Now, I know this might sound dumb, but I knew how to program rolling codes, etc etc, and ran into the same problem as you and turns out for some reason I wasn't able to program it with the car turned off. =P So if you're doing it with the car off, it won't program.

Doh...Lexus designed it that way so if you park in the driveway and a thief breaks your window they can't open your garage, etc.....

So YES YOUR CAR MUST BE ON TO PROGRAM THE HOMELINK.
Old 07-16-09, 01:51 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s4play
Doh...Lexus designed it that way so if you park in the driveway and a thief breaks your window they can't open your garage, etc.....

So YES YOUR CAR MUST BE ON TO PROGRAM THE HOMELINK.
Actually, I'm sure all Lexus's will open the garage door with a simple press of the home link button with or without the car being on. Try it.

In addition, it's wise not to program your house address as home on the nav, thieves can simply get back to your house from anywhere and open up the garage if it is all programmed in. I saved the police station as my home address for jokes.
Old 07-16-09, 02:08 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^ Wow malujerry...I'm going to check when I get home - if that's true, stupid Lexus engineers!

I know for a fact BMW does not operate without the key in ignition and that's how it should be IMO.

Funny idea for the police station addy - but if they are driving your car that means they have your keys so either way you are screwed....this is why for portable navi units they suggest you secure it with a unlock code. I don't think the Lexus OEM NAV has this feature for password unlock?
Old 07-16-09, 02:30 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s4play
^ Wow malujerry...I'm going to check when I get home - if that's true, stupid Lexus engineers!

I know for a fact BMW does not operate without the key in ignition and that's how it should be IMO.

Funny idea for the police station addy - but if they are driving your car that means they have your keys so either way you are screwed....this is why for portable navi units they suggest you secure it with a unlock code. I don't think the Lexus OEM NAV has this feature for password unlock?
Yeah, I have no idea why Lexus did this. None of our benz, bimmers, or even our acura mdx will open the garage without the car being on.

And no password for the built-in navi that I know of.
Old 07-16-09, 04:14 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by malujerry
yes, i'm sure standard on U.S. spec F's. i have no idea why you get a t.v. button and not that.
It is not that they don't have it, I didn't know you could program your garage door to open by pressing it!

I really need to read the manual.
Old 07-20-09, 11:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,056 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Lexus is more worried about law suits than real security except when it comes to their intellectual property.
Old 07-20-09, 01:57 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

having the car on to open the garage is patented or something? maybe after some bad publicity about a family who got killed after some crazy person gained entry via lexus's homelink might prompt changes.
Old 07-20-09, 06:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,056 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
having the car on to open the garage is patented or something? maybe after some bad publicity about a family who got killed after some crazy person gained entry via lexus's homelink might prompt changes.
They did kill the "I Agree" screen not too long after I complained on the Forum about nearly getting in an accident because I was distracted by hitting the "I Agree" button in my 350. Still there are many small details where their security model is compromised for convenience over security.
Old 07-20-09, 07:08 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They did kill the "I Agree" screen not too long after I complained on the Forum about nearly getting in an accident because I was distracted by hitting the "I Agree" button in my 350. Still there are many small details where their security model is compromised for convenience over security.
I much appreciated the ability to hit the I agree button rather than have to wait for it to 'auto agree'...

Quick Reply: homelink