IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How would our cars run on E-85?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 04:42 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
After you read this (entirely), you will see why it cannot or I should say should not be used or mixed for use in our IS-F's or any vehicle NOT specifically designed for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Regards,

Joe Z
Thanks for the find... But the "Myth" that ethanol is bad for a car is false. It comes from mixing up Methanolwith Ethanol...Two different things. Methanol is the one that has corrosive properties.

Remember that most cars with Electric Fuel Injection are resistant to ethanol. The main reason why things go wrong with E85 is the fact that you have to run about 20% more fuel.

Basically all a car needs to run E85 is the capability to feed enough fuel to the mixture and a corresponding tune. Many tuners(ranging from imports to domestics) are beginning to switch to E85 because of its benefits in boosted cars. The added torque gained in using E85 is amazing.

In our case the tune is the main missing factor. The main reason i created the thread was to figure out the if the Ecm had the ability to adapt to the requirements of E85.
Old 07-23-09, 05:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

The reality is, to get the most from E85, you'll need to move more fuel and you'd want to raise compression higher - at least 14:1 - so you can take advantage of what ethanol brings to the party.

If you install injectors with twice the flow of the OEM injectors, the ECM will trim them just fine for E85.

Lastly, it's the fuel system seals that are the potential problem. Nothing built in the last 10 years is a large concern, but whoever said corrosion isn't a problem is mistaken. There's a TSIB for the 2GR-FSE and the 4GR-FE engines to replace the fuel rails because the material Lexus used wasn't sufficiently corrosion resistant for a 10% ethanol blend. ANY alcohol engine (pure ethanol or pure methanol) will corrode the fuel system's metal components more quickly than gasoline because alcohols will carry water where gasoline will not.
Old 07-23-09, 07:37 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
It's not just a matter of can the engine burn it, it is rather or not the fuel will eat up your O-rings, rubber seals, fuel lines, etc. A car has to specifically designed to manage and burn this fuel.
True as I understand it.

Our engines will handle about 20% tho (as I understand it)....I forget where I read that.
I've also heard that octane is not an issue as it is naturally higher in octane than gasoline. (Don't take it to the bank as I have no proof).

Not 'brave' enough to try tho. I'll stick with the normal high test fuel (91 or higher)

C.

Last edited by ISFer; 07-23-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 10:15 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I originally considered E85 because it has performed great with many turbo applications. Im planning on going on boost fairly soon so the use of E85 isnt far out of the picture. Although im going to have to do more researching regarding the corrosion factors of the fuel i doubt that i will be taking advantage of it anytime soon. Ill most likely be pushing the envelope on unleaded Race Fuel.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The reality is, to get the most from E85, you'll need to move more fuel and you'd want to raise compression higher - at least 14:1 - so you can take advantage of what ethanol brings to the party.

If you install injectors with twice the flow of the OEM injectors, the ECM will trim them just fine for E85.

Lastly, it's the fuel system seals that are the potential problem. Nothing built in the last 10 years is a large concern, but whoever said corrosion isn't a problem is mistaken. There's a TSIB for the 2GR-FSE and the 4GR-FE engines to replace the fuel rails because the material Lexus used wasn't sufficiently corrosion resistant for a 10% ethanol blend. ANY alcohol engine (pure ethanol or pure methanol) will corrode the fuel system's metal components more quickly than gasoline because alcohols will carry water where gasoline will not.
I believe that you are correct about the 20% ability of the stock fuel system. And you are right about the octane level. In fact it is an advantage of E85 compared to pump gas
Originally Posted by ISFer
True as I understand it.

Our engines will handle about 20% tho (as I understand it)....I forget where I read that.
I've also heard that octane is not an issue as it is naturally higher in octane than gasoline. (Don't take it to the bank as I have no proof).

Not 'brave' enough to try tho. I'll stick with the normal high test fuel (91 or higher)

C.