IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

headlights on the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 05:35 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlights on the "F"

Anybody else think the factory headlights output kind of stinks!?
I came from a BMW 5 series, and the headlights in that thing were simply amazing!, Does replacing the bulbs in the "F" to say 5k or 6k light bulbs pay much dividens? Or, am I just better off replacing my fogs to H11 HID bulbs? and if so what are you guys going with 4300K or another brighter bulb?
Old 07-23-09, 05:51 AM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3000k HID Fogs
Old 07-23-09, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you haven't really mentioned what's so "bad" about is-f headlights? my m3 headlights light up the road just like how my gs does (and all lexus headlights are similar these days)
Old 07-23-09, 08:50 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

He's complaining that they are not bright enough. Bmw are notorious for bright headlights. The lexus headlights are hella bright compared to my G37. I upgraded my oem hid bulbs to 6k and its more blue now, the blue color actually helps out at night time cause you can actually see the "blue" on the road better than the normal yellowish white. At least thats what it seems to me. I also added 3000k hid bulbs to the fog so that helps a bit too.
Old 07-23-09, 10:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
He's complaining that they are not bright enough. Bmw are notorious for bright headlights. The lexus headlights are hella bright compared to my G37. I upgraded my oem hid bulbs to 6k and its more blue now, the blue color actually helps out at night time cause you can actually see the "blue" on the road better than the normal yellowish white. At least thats what it seems to me. I also added 3000k hid bulbs to the fog so that helps a bit too.
6000k has less light output on the road than 4300k that's for sure

i don't see bmw headlights being any "brighter", i think they are about the same. if you are talking about the brightness when you look at the headlights, then it's about the optics and flickering, where bmw has more. but that doesn't constitute to the usable light on the road though. changing the bulbs to 6k will change the color but won't create the kind of flickering from bmw (or s2k, tsx)
Old 07-23-09, 10:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Just AIM them up a tad bit and you will be happier...

Mine came pointing to the ground too much from the Factory, I did a little re-adusting and now its perfect for me..

4300K > 6000K

Joe Z
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I know the light output on the 6k bulbs are lower than stock, if you read, i cleary stated the blue helped out based on color differences, almost like putting a dye to see things more clearly. Try putting on yellow glasses when you drive, the road will seem clearer. According to you guys all hid headlights are equivalent in brightness besides the K differences. I agree with Ming, BMW headlights are brighter. Believe it or not the brightest headlights are usually from cars that dont have hid from the factory and you adding hid to it. Cars with factory hid have alot of rules and regulations to adhere to while non hid cars dont have as strict regulations due to the fact that they are not as bright to begin with. I have put in Hid kits in over 100 different cars and I believe the brightest so far are new Hondas with a hid kit. My Honda element is brighter than my IsF with hid top and bottom, so is my buddies odyssey.
Old 07-23-09, 10:59 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cm09578
I have 3000k HID Fogs
We have to meet up sometime. I wanna check out that HID fog setup you have. I try to hit up the weekly Chick Fil-a meet at Dulles if you ever have time to swing by.
Old 07-23-09, 11:09 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caymandive
We have to meet up sometime. I wanna check out that HID fog setup you have. I try to hit up the weekly Chick Fil-a meet at Dulles if you ever have time to swing by.
I like the Yellow look too, for the Fogs...

Brings back the originality of the IS300 yellow fog light out put...
Old 07-23-09, 11:13 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I like the Yellow look too, for the Fogs...

Brings back the originality of the IS300 yellow fog light out put...
I've always liked the yellow for fogs. Even back in the late 90's when I had my Eagle Talon I had some very high powered PIAA yellow fogs. Keeping with the originality of the original IS300 is just a bonus IMO.
Old 07-23-09, 11:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I know the light output on the 6k bulbs are lower than stock, if you read, i cleary stated the blue helped out based on color differences, almost like putting a dye to see things more clearly. Try putting on yellow glasses when you drive, the road will seem clearer. According to you guys all hid headlights are equivalent in brightness besides the K differences. I agree with Ming, BMW headlights are brighter. Believe it or not the brightest headlights are usually from cars that dont have hid from the factory and you adding hid to it. Cars with factory hid have alot of rules and regulations to adhere to while non hid cars dont have as strict regulations due to the fact that they are not as bright to begin with. I have put in Hid kits in over 100 different cars and I believe the brightest so far are new Hondas with a hid kit. My Honda element is brighter than my IsF with hid top and bottom, so is my buddies odyssey.
your post pretty much showed me how you are mislead by "brightness"

hid bulbs are hid bulbs, they emit the same amount of light considering the same brand and model (let's just say philips 4300k in this case). the reason why cars with halogen with add on hid kits LOOK brighter is because the optics are all wrong and lights are shooting everywhere, making you think it lights up more area. but the fact is that it's putting a lot of glare on oncoming traffic and such. is that a good idea? hardly

on hid equipped cars, the design is to project (or reflect) all the usable light from the same hid bulbs on the ground or below certain threshold so you won't create glare

i have my share of hid kits study, i was one of the first few to put hid kits on my gs400 with halogen. yup, everyone including me "thought" my gs400 with hid kit look very bright for reasons i explained above. but the fact is? when putting my car side by side with another gs400 with oem hid, the road ahead of me wasn't as clearly illuminated as my friend's gs400, and my headlights were glaring more surrounding areas.

hid spec headlights aren't blocking any light output from hid bulbs. they either reflect all the lights, or project all the lights. there are difference in how the projection is done however. for example, till today, 04-06 ls430 projectors are still considered as one of the best projectors, providing excellent light spread and angle on the road. it's well known across lighting communities. the s2k and previous generation tsx headlights were actually very similar, but with a little extra metal bend, those headlights create a lot more flickering. but they are very similar headlights

it could be the fact that bmw projectors are better than is-f projectors (especially since new lexus changed to d4s bulbs which does have slight performance hit compared to d2s), but that's projector design (bmw used d2s and new bmw use d1s). changing the hid bulbs color on the is-f won't help matters at all. if it's indeed proven bmw projectors are better than that of is-f (i'd love to read more on this) and you want to actually improve light output on the road (instead of everywhere)? then you should think about retrofitting bmw projects on the is-f
Old 07-23-09, 11:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The higher the K rating doesn't mean it's the best or brightest. The best color lighting for any HID system is the standard 4100K which is daylight. That is why OEM applications are 4100 to 4300k for their HID systems. Blue light actually is the worst in inclement weather. The light does not travel far and washes out.
Old 07-23-09, 11:41 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default correct

This is exactly what I mean. Compared to my 5 series, these lights stink, The intensity of the light is just not the same, nor is my perceive "whiteness" of the lights. Does anybody feel the addition of the HID fogs light up the road any better? if so what color temp are you running to match the stock headlamps?
Old 07-23-09, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ming15237
This is exactly what I mean. Compared to my 5 series, these lights stink, The intensity of the light is just not the same, nor is my perceive "whiteness" of the lights. Does anybody feel the addition of the HID fogs light up the road any better? if so what color temp are you running to match the stock headlamps?
of course hid fogs would help, you are putting more light on the road compared to halogen. personally i think that's more of a color choice. if you want yellow, 3000k is good, otherwise you can match hid headlights with 4300k.
Old 07-23-09, 11:45 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ming15237
if so what color temp are you running to match the stock headlamps?
^^
An OSRAM 4300K bulb would be a direct match.....

Joe Z

Quick Reply: headlights on the "F"