IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Next year's IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 09:34 AM
teoh2005
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK, let's make it simple: you're wrong. VDIM NEVER turns off completely no matter what you do with the buttons - see below for what the switches do.

As for what I'm getting at - there's a whole lot of chassis set up that determines how much your inside wheel will spin. IME, the F set up isn't problematic until you are trying to squeeze out the last tiny bit of performance, and the car doesn't have an inside wheel lift issue - see below:

It also does not wear the rear brakes heavily (a dead giveaway the electronic LSD is working hard). However, if it does lift the electronic LSD would help by doing what the Torsen can't because the Torsen is multiplying by zero. I'm far LESS concerned the Torsen will interfere with the electronic and a lot MORE concerned the electronic will interfere with the Torsen simply because I'd rather have torque transfer than braking any day.

You said you don't understand how the rear wheels steer the car. It would seem you've not done much work with chassis set up. Rear wheels affect turning pretty dramatically - in karting, the inside wheel is intentionally raised off the surface because they run solid axles and if the inside rear wheel is on the ground, the kart will go straight under power. You really want the outside wheel to have more drive and in a car with independent rear suspension, you'll add toe in to the rear wheels to help the car turn under power. I've done a bit of work on both dirt and asphalt chassis to make cars go faster. There's a lot to it that isn't intuitive or obvious.
If you do turn the VSC off and try and power out of corner you will not notice the brakes grabbing at the rear inside wheel (electronic lsd). Also you say the IS-F does not have a problem with inside wheel spin when power is applied. This statement tells me that you do not have much seat time at the track. You also try and use your pic to illustrate this point, but its not possible. In your photo you are clearly no where near the apex and behind a train of "slow cars." You are most likey running in a novice group with an instructor. If this is the case, there is no way you will be able to exploit the weakness associated with a lack of true LSD/TBD, especially not in this photo. Drive like this in your IS-F and you will know what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYzXA...eature=channel

Also, my Cayman is mid engined with more weight over the rear axle and I did get wheel spin with my open diff. Now you're telling that the IS-F whose engine is in front on the front axle (much less weight over the rear) with 373lb torque will NOT have issues with wheel spin when applying throttle through a turn?? At the track you are either full throttle or brakes, there is no coasting. If you are accelerating through an apex the weight will shift from the inside wheel of the car to outside thus reducing your contact patch on the inner tire. This WILL result in wheelspin if you do not have either a true mechanical LSD or TBD. You speak of karting and auto-xing. That is not tracking. Only at the track in high speed turns will you notice the need for an LSD/TBD. If you think the oem "electronic lsd" is sufficient you are not a true track enthusiast. True track nuts know that mechanical LSDs/TBDs are far superior to electronic ones. For those individuals who only drive on the street or do not drive at least 8/10ths at the track need not worry about a TBD/LSD as you will never notice a difference. For those who do track aggressively, you will know immediately that a car with over 400 hp and 300 tq is in dire need of true LSD/TBD for ultimate driving enjoyment. In the end we will just have to wait and see if there are any issues with adding a TBD to the IS-F.

-Kevin

Last edited by teoh2005; 08-08-09 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-08-09, 09:45 AM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

What a great thread....thnx to everyone with new info on making it interesting to read....great sneak peak photos too
Old 08-08-09, 09:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by gs2isf
What a great thread....thnx to everyone with new info on making it interesting to read....great sneak peak photos too
That's why we are ALL here!!!
Old 08-08-09, 10:54 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm far LESS concerned the Torsen will interfere with the electronic and a lot MORE concerned the electronic will interfere with the Torsen simply because I'd rather have torque transfer than braking any day.
That is my concern as well and I agree 100%

Though the VSC in my GS400 is old school compared to VDIM I'm just hoping that the IS-F will respond similarly to a Torsen diff. In the GS with VSC off the limits were raised enough to allow the diff to react before the electronics did. Since the IS-F LSD will react more progressively than a clutch-type LSD I'm hoping it will also react prior to the "electronic LSD" preventing it from turning on until there really is no traction on one side.

It also does not wear the rear brakes heavily (a dead giveaway the electronic LSD is working hard).
Unless I am seriously missing something about the IS-F brake activated LSD wouldn't that imply that it isn't working very hard at all? If the electronic LSD were kicking in wouldn't the rear brakes be used more to slow the wheel with wants to be spinning thus causing more wear? You should be able to see a difference between the amount of pad left on the "inside" or "outside" of the track you were on (depending on the number of right/left turns).
Old 08-08-09, 11:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Though the VSC in my GS400 is old school compared to VDIM I'm just hoping that the IS-F will respond similarly to a Torsen diff. In the GS with VSC off the limits were raised enough to allow the diff to react before the electronics did. Since the IS-F LSD will react more progressively than a clutch-type LSD I'm hoping it will also react prior to the "electronic LSD" preventing it from turning on until there really is no traction on one side.

Unless I am seriously missing something about the IS-F brake activated LSD wouldn't that imply that it isn't working very hard at all? If the electronic LSD were kicking in wouldn't the rear brakes be used more to slow the wheel with wants to be spinning thus causing more wear? You should be able to see a difference between the amount of pad left on the "inside" or "outside" of the track you were on (depending on the number of right/left turns).
Right. It means the chassis set up is pretty good straight out of the box. Despite the less than pretty corner weights, it doesn't use the electronic LSD a lot at all. I had a lot more issues with VSC using the front brakes than the rears. The track I drove is heavily right hand biased and I had to add a lot of pressure to the left front to keep the tire from cooking.

I'm hoping for exactly the same thing you got in your GS since it won't be possible to easily transplant the new skid control ECU in an 08-09 model. In our cars, the skid control ECU is under the HVAC blower motor inside the cabin. They've moved it under the hood near the master cylinder. Damn progress!
Old 08-08-09, 01:09 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hi Kevin,

You guys are making this a Great read!!

Quick pointer, if you press the Trac button once quickly, the "Traction Control" System remains off till approx 20-25mph. Then it turns back ON.

Now if you press and hold the Trac button for 3 seconds, the TRAC & VSC Systems are turned & remain OFF, until turned back ON via button or engine shut down/restart..

"Pedal Dance" is the long way of tunring OFF the trac & vsc system. Which is how it can only be done on some of the 2006 Lexus models.

Regards,

Joe Z

More Visual Aid, turn off at your own risk....

Thanks for the tip, much easier that going through the pedal sequence.

-Kevin
Old 08-09-09, 07:32 PM
stick
Pole Position

^^^^Hey guys, this has been a good read, but can we stay on topic? You know, new stuff for the 2010 model.......

Is the A/T temp gauge (the 7 bar light gauge in the middle of the cluster) being replaced with a message of "warning, high a/t temp" or something like that? Did I read the bulletin wrong?
Old 08-09-09, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
^^^^Hey guys, this has been a good read, but can we stay on topic? You know, new stuff for the 2010 model.......

Is the A/T temp gauge (the 7 bar light gauge in the middle of the cluster) being replaced with a message of "warning, high a/t temp" or something like that? Did I read the bulletin wrong?
That gauge is not the A/T temp, its engine oil temp. They're replacing the little warning light with a text message in the multi-display advising you the A/T temp is too high.

Old 08-10-09, 01:02 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

things i'd like to see in the 2010 is f:

1) handbrake as opposed to the footbrake
2) three seat bench for rear seating
3) more user-friendly Nav. system
4) LED lights standard for vanity purposes (front and rear)
Old 08-10-09, 05:44 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Thanks Joe. Is the only difference that blue at the bottom?

IMO, that looks awful.
I hate that just like I hate their new 2-tone seats.
Old 08-10-09, 06:16 AM
anajri
Driver

Joez
From the paper work i have for the LSD 2010.
the IS-F lapped fuji 2 secods faster than the non LSD ISF

alf
Old 08-10-09, 06:52 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by anajri
Joez

alf
From what I remember, that would either put the ISF dead even or slightly faster around a track than a BMW M3
Old 08-10-09, 08:45 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

I think those wheels are ok!
Old 08-10-09, 08:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by anajri
Joez

alf
If that's the case I don't understand why they didn't do this the first time around.

It's conventional wisdom that cars of this nature benefit greatly from an LSD but Lexus said "We don't need one, we have VDIM", and they now seem to be eating their words. Better late than never I guess.
Old 08-10-09, 10:20 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Kind of surprised Lexus isn't added the turn signals into the mirrors like they have on the rest of the line-up.

I wonder if they will be on the US cars since the Japanese cars use indicators on the fender.

Quick Reply: Next year's IS-F?