IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 06:19 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can have an install day, and use the lift lol. Im guessing we could get away with jacking the engine up instead of dropping it out.
Old 08-06-09, 06:36 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISSForged
I figured I let everyone chime in to see if it is worth going this route. Paul's fear is that we invest in developing this product and no one want to buy them cause of the installation charges. We are going to finish the stuff we are working before we start on the headers again.

Trust me you will be the first to know.
build them and we will come! lol! i would drive to u to get them installed!
Old 08-06-09, 08:46 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Hey Janoy,

Good to hear you guys are looking into these.. We passed it up a few months back..

One of the major obstacles is going to be running the headers without the primary CATs in place...

This will cause a Check Engine Light for sure as the readings are going to be off the charts, without them in place.

However, a set with some High Flow CATs might work.

I have not seen one working O2 Simulator for any 2005+ Lexus..

The OEM manifolds are wedged in there like no other!!

Regards,
Joe Z
Old 08-06-09, 01:47 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Splat
emissions are for ****ies!!! you only live once and most the time you can pass an OBDII scan with no cats, as long as there is no check engine light.
Sorry but I'm not going to try and strong arm State Emmisions Testing just to get headers. Simple question, anyone familiar with how this will affect emmissions? Would high flow cats help? Curious, thank you

***Edit: Didn't see Joe's post above. Any other input is appreciated too
Old 08-06-09, 02:25 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

I think someone already has a prototype on a car Joe... Let me contact them and see how they worked around it and how much they want for it. Honestly if they got a good product and a good price there is no need for us to make it. We will just sell their product.

Thanks for the heads up Joe!
Old 08-06-09, 02:59 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Good luck with the R&D. Hope you can create a reliable product that makes good consistent power. Best of luck
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hey Janoy,

Good to hear you guys are looking into these.. We passed it up a few months back..

One of the major obstacles is going to be running the headers without the primary CATs in place...

This will cause a Check Engine Light for sure as the readings are going to be off the charts, without them in place.

However, a set with some High Flow CATs might work.

I have not seen one working O2 Simulator for any 2005+ Lexus..

The OEM manifolds are wedged in there like no other!!

Regards,
Joe Z
I decided the same. I considered including headers for my build but decided to ditch the idea due to the Ecm and lack of tuning ability. I figured that i would come across a problem dealing with the Ecm. And since there is currently no way to tune/trick the car into thinking that it is performing to its liking the idea was scratched.
Old 08-06-09, 04:19 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Good luck with the R&D. Hope you can create a reliable product that makes good consistent power. Best of luck

I decided the same. I considered including headers for my build but decided to ditch the idea due to the Ecm and lack of tuning ability. I figured that i would come across a problem dealing with the Ecm. And since there is currently no way to tune/trick the car into thinking that it is performing to its liking the idea was scratched.
just wondering but why can u tune with a stand alone ecu like on the supra?
Old 08-06-09, 06:20 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

I heard AEM is working on a stand alone...
Old 08-06-09, 07:45 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Im going to try and contact Nemesis EMS tomorrow. The makers of the Hydra. best 2500 i ever spent on my STi. and they make plenty of ECU's for different plat forms!
Old 08-06-09, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You don't want an aftermarket ECM for your daily driver. If it's a show car or a dyno queen, sure, it'll be great. But if the car needs to start and run every day to get you from A to B, you'll hate the aftermarket ECM. They're not even close to the same league the OEM ECMs are in. I'm not disparaging the work they do, it really is great, but at the end of the day, they don't have the time or the resources to fully reverse engineer the OEM ECM, so they get close enough to run and depend on the community to help sort out the individual issues related to making the aftermarket device work consistently in varying weather conditions and operating environments. The OEMs put a staggering amount of R&D into making their ECMs bulletproof. No aftermarket can afford this. So, if you decide to go aftermarket, make sure you've also got reliable transportation because your F won't be.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but I know too many Supra owners who have lived the pain. I was also the original person to talk to GEMS about using their stuff for a Supra way back in 1998, but I didn't have the resources to make it happen at that time. AEM stepped up and brought the resources necessary to make it happen so they work directly with GEMS to deliver their OEM replacement ECMs. Looks like GEMS isn't offering a 16 injector system yet. They'll need that for the 2UR-GSE.
Old 08-07-09, 03:39 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Thats why i mentioned hydra. I know many people running double injectors and it can support more if needed for e85 (or gas, Water Injection/Meth). I ran one as my DD and had no issues with 1200cc injectors. Its all in the tune. The new stand alones are very capable of running todays cars and fully replacing the ECM sometimes even doing a better job then the OEM one. No need to make everyone fear the reaper, bc of a bad experience. (thats like saying a women shot you down once, dont go out bc they dont like to talk to men).

Now back on topic. Hopefully the other company comes out and has a product real soon for the rest of the community weather it be with hi-flow cats or not.
Old 08-07-09, 07:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Splat
Thats why i mentioned hydra. I know many people running double injectors and it can support more if needed for e85 (or gas, Water Injection/Meth). I ran one as my DD and had no issues with 1200cc injectors. Its all in the tune. The new stand alones are very capable of running todays cars and fully replacing the ECM sometimes even doing a better job then the OEM one. No need to make everyone fear the reaper, bc of a bad experience. (thats like saying a women shot you down once, dont go out bc they dont like to talk to men).

Now back on topic. Hopefully the other company comes out and has a product real soon for the rest of the community weather it be with hi-flow cats or not.
CAN
BEAN
OBDII
Certification ECU
etc., etc., etc.,

Sorry, but I have zero confidence the aftermarket will be able to make an IS work with an aftermarket solution. If all you want to do is run the engine and maybe shift the gearbox, it's possible. For everything else to work - not possible. There's not enough documentation to interface with all the ECUs required to run the IS. Ask Gernby about the mysteries just on the CAN bus.
Old 08-07-09, 11:50 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
CAN
BEAN
OBDII
Certification ECU
etc., etc., etc.,

Sorry, but I have zero confidence the aftermarket will be able to make an IS work with an aftermarket solution. If all you want to do is run the engine and maybe shift the gearbox, it's possible. For everything else to work - not possible. There's not enough documentation to interface with all the ECUs required to run the IS. Ask Gernby about the mysteries just on the CAN bus.
all this really makes me want to trade my car and get a zo6, gtr or another car that can be tuned cts-v etc. i just thought when i got the F i would be able to upgrade it like a supra! i dont daily drive mine so it is just a weekend track or maybe in the future a show queen as u say.
Old 08-07-09, 12:09 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

I'm the same way...I still drive my denali truck most of the time. I love my car but was really hoping to hop it up more..hopefully in time.
Old 08-07-09, 12:45 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DFLORES
i just thought when i got the F i would be able to upgrade it like a supra! i dont daily drive mine so it is just a weekend track or maybe in the future a show queen as u say.
With time they will have all kinds of goodies for the F....

Quick Reply: IS-F Headers