IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Test Driven - Faulty 'F'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 01:25 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I test drove F a few months ago and felt the same way. It didn't feel that fast...maybe I was expecting too much but when I jumped back in to my 350 it feels much faster than F. I think you were expecting F to be a rocket ship but it isn't.
Yeah, this blue one was Fast but maybe i was expecting too much since I'm use to driving 400HP cars (Vettes, Vipers) It didn't have the torque I wanted though it was fast enough when you pushed it.. I guess my expectations was too high but when I got back into my GS430, It felt like i was driving a 4 cylinder Camry!!!

Originally Posted by vwynn
i remember i drove the F around the mini autox thing at Fontana... it was fast but not mind blowing fast.. maybe it was cuz my DD was a supercharged GS4... but i gotta say the shifting is uber quick. If only i could afford one. :/
Well, i was maybe hopping to lay 200ft of rubber chirp in 2nd and 3rd gear, but not really. I was coming around this turn and I punched it at 20 mph, it didn't kick down like I would have like but it did its job, its fast. But, you're right Not Mind Blowing, neck snapping Fast..

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I'm glad to hear you had this positive experience. Something definitely sounds wrong about the Red one you drove. Wheel spin from a stop is EASY in normal or sport mode with these cars. It the reason I upsized tires when I needed new ones.
I probably need to drive a new one to really know, but the sales guy said he drove this blue F back to back with a new one they had and it way identical in performance but you know most sales people usually know the least about cars. I wish i can find an "F" that spins tires at will!!

Old 08-05-10, 01:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Mine easily spins tires at will....
along with chrips in 2nd & 3rd and a neck snap here & there if I'm not ready for it...

Joe Z
Old 08-05-10, 03:25 PM
D2M
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is probobly a mouse nest in the airbox, they love that sort of thing its verry common
Old 08-05-10, 08:50 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me that everyone in this thread is claiming that the IS-F spins the tires from a stand still fairly easily. However, in my case I've found it rather difficult. Do you have to go full throttle in order to spin the tires? I've never had the opportunity to go full throttle from a stand still, but I have tried some semi-aggressive starts and was never able to achieve wheel spin. Nor have I experienced chirping shifting into any gear. The tires on my car certainly aren't fresh anymore.

Should I be concerned about my car's performance? I only have 23,800 miles on it and i bought it used with 23k on the odometer. Let me digress, I feel the car is plenty quick on the free way, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Old 08-05-10, 09:03 PM
poorbong
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
Just buy the bmw.
hahahah...yea just get an M3....with first bad impression like that, you wont be happy with your F
Old 08-05-10, 09:10 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zojirushi
Seems to me that everyone in this thread is claiming that the IS-F spins the tires from a stand still fairly easily. However, in my case I've found it rather difficult. Do you have to go full throttle in order to spin the tires? I've never had the opportunity to go full throttle from a stand still, but I have tried some semi-aggressive starts and was never able to achieve wheel spin. Nor have I experienced chirping shifting into any gear. The tires on my car certainly aren't fresh anymore.

Should I be concerned about my car's performance? I only have 23,800 miles on it and i bought it used with 23k on the odometer. Let me digress, I feel the car is plenty quick on the free way, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Dude, if you want wheel spin, obviously, you need to floor it... all the way to the little clicker on the floor... And make sure you are in "sport mode" and that traction control is completely off... (3-4 sec long press). Oh and make sure to be in M mode and shift as you hear the bip.

Then you will spin the wheels, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on good days...

Last edited by timeToy; 08-05-10 at 10:03 PM. Reason: M mode
Old 08-05-10, 09:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
Dude, if you want wheel spin, obviously, you need to floor it... all the way to the little clicker on the floor... And make sure you are in "sport mode" and that traction control is completely off... (3-4 sec long press).

Then you will spin the wheels, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on good days...
Without a doubt. Mine definitely does this.
Old 08-05-10, 11:46 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timeToy
... all the way to the little clicker on the floor...
I hate that little clicker thing I'm thinking of throwing it out, does it really have any use?

Mine chirps even with my 285's and traction on lol
Old 08-06-10, 08:11 AM
mr2fast
Driver

Originally Posted by infinus
I hate that little clicker thing I'm thinking of throwing it out, does it really have any use?

Mine chirps even with my 285's and traction on lol

same here - even with just 60% throttle with traction control on I chirp going into 2nd and sometimes 3rd (usually when the tires are cold) shifting around 5k rpm.

edit: turned TCS off on my lunch break and chirped 1st through 4th

Last edited by mr2fast; 08-06-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 08:31 AM
matt310
Rookie

You definitely need quality fuel in these cars, and the chances of dealer inventory IS-Fs sitting on lots with 91+ is definitely less than driving/riding in one that somebody owns. Of course there are cheap people who will still put less than high octane in cars like ours that require it. Don't get me started on them.

Additionally I've come to realize the IS-F needs to be warmed up before it can execute the proper transmission kick-downs, which isn't a surprise because there's a lot happening in that gearbox. Sport mode, F mode, oil temp pegged in the middle, and you should have no problems doing what your expectations seek.

Some previous posts mention an 8th-1st kick-down which is impossible. You need to be going at least 42mph to clear 8th gear and at that speed 1st is not available, so the most drastic kick-down you'll get is 8-2, which, if you wood the throttle, is definitely neck-snapping. Just be really quick with the up-shift of you'll bang off the rev limiter and dilute the experience.

I doubt any dealer would let you do this, but yanking the battery cables (or pulling a couple fuses) should reset the ECU and possibly re-learn a more aggressive driving style. Just watch out for starting it the first time after this practice as the engine will kill. Restart, warm up and you should be good to go.
Old 08-06-10, 01:19 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I can do it on my IS350 I'm pretty sure the ISF can do it easily. And yes, go full throttle.

Back on topic... You'll have faulty cars here and there. The ISF is no slouch and I'm sure your first experience was with a faulty one. Glad you had a positive experience the 2nd time.
Old 08-06-10, 02:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by zojirushi
Seems to me that everyone in this thread is claiming that the IS-F spins the tires from a stand still fairly easily....
Yes very easily for me......... It should come with a warning sticker...!!

Here is an After Pic

Joe Z
Old 08-07-10, 07:39 AM
zojirushi
Driver

I finally got the chance to try a full throttle launch from a stand still last night at 2 am in the morning. Sure enough, there was no traction but I cut the party short in fear of lurking authorities. Needless to say, it put a smile on my face from ear to ear.
Old 08-08-10, 05:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks like you picked up an 05.. Congrats