IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Replacing my F with a Bimmer

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 09:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
You are correct about the problems. The biggest issue seems to be a hesitation in second gear if you let the revs drop to about 1500 and then floor it. Apparently the latest round of software updates has fixed the issue in most cars, but not all. This is one of the big reasons I am ordering a 2010. I want to have the latest tranny upgrades from the get go.

I wouldn't rate the M-DCT better than the Lexus 8 speed. They are different and seem to have their pluses and minuses. The Lexus is better and more transparent in auto mode, while the BMW responds faster in manual mode. It really just comes down to what you prefer. I also noticed that the M-DCT downshifts very quickly in the quickest shifting auto mode.

One thing that the M3 has over the F is it is more customizable. There are 5 different setting for auto shifting, 6 different settings for manual shifting, three suspension settings (with the optional ride control) and three (I think) different throttle response settings. The seats also offer more adjustment as well.

Once i have had some time with the M I will have a better idea of how it stacks up to the F when it comes to meeting my wants and desires. I may find out I made an expensive mistake, or I might find out I'm a M guy after all.
Well said.

I was just pointing out the issues to someone that seems unaware. I know that you've done your homework and know what you're getting into. Hopefully you don't have any issues with yours.

Nevermind the customization of driver's settings or seats.....BMW and MB both offer far greater options for outfitting your vehicle. Where Lexus offers groups of options (which does have a certain appeal and cost saving benefit), the BMW's and MB's often give you the choice of picking and choosing just about every option separately. A negative to some people but a positive to others.
Old 08-15-09, 03:48 AM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the M3, I almost went for the M3 before purchasing the F. For price wise base vs base M3 is a bit cheaper but here in Canada after adding all the options I wanted for the M3 it was 20k cad more then the fully loaded ISF. That's why I chose the ISF over the M3. Let us know how the M compares to the F.
Old 08-15-09, 09:17 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Nevermind the customization of driver's settings or seats.....BMW and MB both offer far greater options for outfitting your vehicle. Where Lexus offers groups of options (which does have a certain appeal and cost saving benefit), the BMW's and MB's often give you the choice of picking and choosing just about every option separately. A negative to some people but a positive to others.
I'm one of those people that prefers packages. I felt a bit like I was being nickel and dimed while specing out the M. The only manufacturer I have dealt with (as a spectator not a buyer) that offers more separate options is Porsche. Trying to order a 997 is enough to drive one crazy.
Old 08-15-09, 02:28 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Just wondering how come you didn't get the M in the first place? Anyways, congrats!

I'm wondering if there are any F owners that are coming from an M3? I'm guessing it's less likely because usually the M3 is leased.
I had a 99 E36 M3. Totally different car. I totally enjoyed the M3, feel the same way about the F.

As to why people don't switch from an M3 to an IS-F it's probably because they prefer the M3 not because they are leased.

Last edited by dkaplan435; 08-15-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 09:34 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you get a 4-door or 2-door version? Cabrio?

I love the coupe and hardtop models but hate how the sedan looks which is my final factor that made me buy the IS-F.

The new m3 is no slouch so not sure why one poster said there is no torque - it's pretty damn fast in almost any gear when I drove it....?

I came from an e46 m3 and the IS-F still feels abit more sluggish. But in all fairness to the IS-F, I don't think it's ever fair to compare a 6-speed manual car with an automatic. If the IS-F came in a manual tranny I think it would definitely be more responsive. DCT to the IS-F 8speed the DCT is far superior IMO for gear shift response time and downshift speeds.

Love to hear your opinions so let us know!

OP: I know what you mean by Porsche options...when I sat down with my sales guy to spec out my 997 GT3, we ended up with over $30k in just options!

rick

Last edited by s4play; 08-17-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-17-09, 11:00 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Hope you enjoy the M3. Its a great looking car so i doubt you'll be unhappy until you come across an F
Originally Posted by s4play

I love the coupe and hardtop models but hate how the sedan looks which is my final factor that made me buy the IS-F.

The new m3 is no slouch so not sure why one poster said there is no torque - it's pretty damn fast in almost any gear when I drove it....?

I came from an e46 m3 and the IS-F still feels abit more sluggish. But in all fairness to the IS-F, I don't think it's ever fair to compare a 6-speed manual car with an automatic. If the IS-F came in a manual tranny I think it would definitely be more responsive. DCT to the IS-F 8speed the DCT is far superior IMO for gear shift response time and downshift speeds.

OP: I know what you mean by Porsche options...when I sat down with my sales guy to spec out my 997 GT3, we ended up with over $30k in just options!

rick
I dont think your view on the transmission is correct. The ISF upshifts and downshifts faster than the DCT
Old 08-17-09, 11:12 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratz on the new m3!!!
i dont know exact times for upshifts and downshfits but SMG downshifted alot faster then our F transmission for sure... didnt take like 8 seconds to go from 6 to 2nd using M mode...
Old 08-17-09, 01:08 PM
nosoupforu
Driver School Candidate

Are you going to track the M? If so, then you made the right choice.
Old 08-17-09, 02:24 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ either car is a good track car.

Only advantage BMW has--after market parts before the car even came out
Old 08-17-09, 02:36 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Hope you enjoy the M3. Its a great looking car so i doubt you'll be unhappy until you come across an F

I dont think your view on the transmission is correct. The ISF upshifts and downshifts faster than the DCT
I'm not sure what the numbers say, but the M-DCT feels faster, especially on downshifts.

Originally Posted by s4play

rick
I got the sedan I think it looks pretty good actually.
Old 08-17-09, 04:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you dont like the M and want to go back to the F I will make some room in my garage

Congrats on the new purchase
Old 08-17-09, 06:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx

You're seriously mistaken. DCT shifts in less than 10 msec. Our gearbox shifts in 100 msec. No comparison. I wish it were not true, but it's fact.

Upshift takes just 8ms, 10 times quicker than BMW SMG II which is the fastest automated manual gearbox currently available. Downshift is less impressive, because the gearbox need to wait for the throttle blip to match gearbox speed with engine speed. Change down a gear therefore takes 600ms. Changing down a few gears could be more complicated. The most complicated is from 6th to 2nd (both are controlled by the same clutch while the distance between the two gears is the longest). It needs to change to 5th (controlled by another clutch) temporarily before 2nd is selected. This takes 900ms.
Advantage: Gearshift ultra-smooth, pretty fast.
Disadvantage: More complex construction, can it handle a lot of torque?
Who use it ? Update in Jun 2008:

* Volkswagen group DSG / Audi S-Tronic (gearbox built by VW using twin-clutch modules from BorgWarner)
* Bugatti Veyron (built by Ricardo using BorgnWarner clutch)
* Ford Focus & Volvo S40 (by Getrag) (note: Getrag uses BorgWarner clutch)
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (by Getrag)
* Nissan GT-R (by Getrag)
* BMW M-DCT (by Getrag)
* Porsche 911 (by ZF)
* Ferrari California (by Getrag)
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm Scroll to the bottom.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-17-09 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 07:33 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I would entertain something with an "M" on it.

Congrats on the new car!
Old 08-17-09, 07:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

And there I thought you were going to say it would be a cold day in hell before you'd entertain anything with an M on it...
Old 08-17-09, 07:39 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And there I thought you were going to say it would be a cold day in hell before you'd entertain anything with an M on it...
LMAO!

Quick Reply: Replacing my F with a Bimmer