IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS F - CONVERSATION @ Costco

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 01:50 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecLexus
What's with the pretentious atitude lexus owners have about their cars, especially an IS? Seriously, it's just an IS...I should know, I have one. IS owners may appreciate their cars more so than a BMW owner, but there's so many remarks on this forum that an IS owner shouldn't use this product because it's cheap, or doing such a thing would be beneath them because it's not expensive enough for a lexus. It gives off a bad prude vibe. It's JUST a lexus. A fully loaded honda accord costs more than a IS250. (I know I'm going get flak for that last remark) LOL!!!
I wouldn't say its behavior at all exclusive to this brand; literally every car forum I've been on, has a selective group of people. Pretty much any forum of enthusiast which happens to focus on a specific brand (or model), will hold their cars to higher esteem (some more objective than others). It just so happens the perception of quality is synonymous with this brand, and so you see that trickle down into the attitudes of any other related decisions.

However, most people on car forums are vastly outnumbered by their casual counterparts, and when it pertains to fuel options, they have no problem filling up anywhere...just like the lady at Costco in her IS-F.

To each their own.
Old 08-20-09, 02:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No one here seems to have a problem (directly) with ARCO. It's always "I've heard from my friend" or "my uncle's cousin-in-law" had his connecting rod snap because he used ARCO gasoline. No one has scientific proof that ARCO gasoline causes engine failure. Seriously..millions of gallons of gas are probably pumped from ARCO each day (just to prove my point) and you dont see cars breaking down left and right.

I use Chevron myself, only because they are conveniently located down the street.
Old 08-20-09, 02:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Looney100
How would some small gas chain buy gas with less than 87 octane? What refiner produces <87 octane? I work in the industry and don't know of any.
We do have stations in the US serving 85 octane. Those stations can be found in places where the altitude is higher (like Denver, Colorado). I'm at sea level and I haven't found anything less than 87.
Old 08-20-09, 02:25 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arguing with people about gas is like arguing to people about oil. they just perpetuate myths and stereotypes about certain brands even though they have no evidence to prove anything. i choose my gas stations based on convenience. arco sucks **** because they dont take credit cards...not because of their gas.
Old 08-20-09, 03:41 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I wouldn't say its behavior at all exclusive to this brand; literally every car forum I've been on, has a selective group of people. Pretty much any forum of enthusiast which happens to focus on a specific brand (or model), will hold their cars to higher esteem (some more objective than others). It just so happens the perception of quality is synonymous with this brand, and so you see that trickle down into the attitudes of any other related decisions.

However, most people on car forums are vastly outnumbered by their casual counterparts, and when it pertains to fuel options, they have no problem filling up anywhere...just like the lady at Costco in her IS-F.

To each their own.
I can see that, but I have a different sentiment. In fact, I don't think there are too many "casuals" on this board.

I can't speak for everyone (Ahem BMW guys.. Ahem j/k ), but as enthusiasts, we love our cars, and it has nothing to do with the brand. It has to do with the fact that it is our hobby and investment, and we treat it like it's our baby. So whether it is a Lambo, a Lexus, or a Honda, I would treat my car the same way and use the best products on it. I started out with a hand-me-down used Maxima and I treated it like I treat my ISF now.
Old 08-20-09, 05:24 PM
Low Offset
Driver

This man speaks the truth. I too have treated all my cars (88 mitsu starion, 92 prelude, 99 prelude, 03 Z, and F) like my babies even if they are not the best cars in the world. But I do look for good deals on gas. lol
Old 08-20-09, 05:39 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread FAIL!! i 2 thought it was a major mod going on but too much blah blah blah.. btw talk to a girl get her number just for fun, even tho you gotta a girl
Old 08-20-09, 08:57 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by primecut
I can see that, but I have a different sentiment. In fact, I don't think there are too many "casuals" on this board.

I can't speak for everyone (Ahem BMW guys.. Ahem j/k ), but as enthusiasts, we love our cars, and it has nothing to do with the brand. It has to do with the fact that it is our hobby and investment, and we treat it like it's our baby. So whether it is a Lambo, a Lexus, or a Honda, I would treat my car the same way and use the best products on it. I started out with a hand-me-down used Maxima and I treated it like I treat my ISF now.
The cars we have is an extension of us. why not give it the best it deserves? some may not be able to afford the higher end products, but the vast majority want to be able to pamper their rides because its theirs. nothing against those who use costco brand gasoline. but i personally use mobil's super + because i want to give my car what i believe is the best product available. im not knocking the other gasoline corporations. its just a personal preference.

also, great input in the above quote!!

2008 Lexus IS F NM- Obsidian/ Alpine White w/ Black
Old 08-20-09, 09:39 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

i fill up costco gas too......costco gas in the isf... no problems for me. gas is gas... it all comes from the place..... (i would rather use another word instead of place)
Old 08-21-09, 05:36 AM
Looney100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus999
i fill up costco gas too......costco gas in the isf... no problems for me. gas is gas... it all comes from the place..... (i would rather use another word instead of place)
Do you believe that 'motor oil is motor oil... it all comes from the place'? The differences between the two are similar.
Old 08-21-09, 06:44 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
In context, when I refer to more casual owners, I'm suggesting people who aren't likely to post on forums or would shrug at the finer details of their car.

but as enthusiasts, we love our cars, and it has nothing to do with the brand. It has to do with the fact that it is our hobby and investment, and we treat it like it's our baby
We're essentially saying the same thing, actually, only I don't believe the two to be mutually exclusive.

If a forum contains enthusiast, they generally appreciate their cars moreso than others would. But as it relates to his criticism of Lexus owners, it happens that brands have specific identities, and if users are posting on a board which caters to a brand, they tend to echo/enjoy the qualities of that brand. After all, few of us own these cars by mistake. However, its nothing unique to Lexus owners, as it holds true for any make/model of vehicle.
Old 08-21-09, 07:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a difference between top tier and non-top tier (Mainly carbon build-up). You can get top teir gas at no-brand gas stations, it depends on where they get their gas. There is also a difference between motor oils. The main difference is how long (Miles) you will get safe protection.

Koz
Old 08-21-09, 07:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Cheaper dino oil can also provide long life protection. Cars nowadays aren't like cars from 40 years ago. We have old Toyota Corollas and Honda civics getting 300k+ miles with the use of your run of the mill engine oil. proper oil change interval is the key to longevity.

As far as carbon buildup, I don't buy into it that easily. I've opened up many cylinder heads and most of them have some sort of carbon buildup in it. Hell even my own car (GS) has it and it's seen Chevron it's whole entire life. My injectors were clogged enough that I lost a potential of 3 psi fuel pressure. This is a car I rigorously maintain to hell.

Chevron may be putting more cleaning additive and such in their gasoline, but don't think pumping a tank of gas will even get you the same amount of detergent as a single bottle of Chevron Techron you buy on the shelf. To quote a member from NSXprime who is closely related to someone working in the fuel industry:

"The only difference in an 8000 gallon load is the 1 QUART can of additives they dump in separately"

The base formula will be the same. The detergent is not, but I can't stop anyone from spending more money over time to get that extra small percentage of fuel additive.You might as well buy a bottle of Techron at walmart for under $7 bucks and add in 1oz into every tank? You'll probably get more fuel additive that ways anyways.

Arco has a bad rep because it's cheaper than the rest of the leading brands. Cheaper price does not equate to cheaper quality. Arco can supply gasoline cheaper because they take cash. No transaction fee is passed down to the consumer where as Chevron, Shell, etc will charge you the same amount (cash) as the next guy paying with his card.

Last edited by GSteg; 08-21-09 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 11:52 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a LOT more to top tier formulated gas then adding 1 quart of additive into a truck load of gas! Do some research and you will see.

Koz
Old 08-21-09, 11:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
There is a LOT more to top tier formulated gas then adding 1 quart of additive into a truck load of gas! Do some research and you will see.

Koz
Isn't marketing wonderful? The reality is, the only difference is the additives. The base stock is the same for all brands.

Sorry guys, there's no magic to gasoline, it's really a commodity.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS F - CONVERSATION @ Costco