Long Term Test: 2008 Lexus IS F by Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09 | 06:29 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good info.

Just how bad is the ride, since it keeps coming up.................
I honestly don't feed as if this car is as bad a ride as the critics says it is. It's a Lexus until you hit 3.6k rpm; then all hell breaks loose. It definitely doesn't have the plushy ride of an ES or even a GS, but coming from a Mazda 3 I don't have high expectations. It's an awesome car, and being my DD in the summer fuel economy is a must.
Old 08-29-09 | 06:31 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People complain about the ride because there is just about NOTHING else to complain about. It's a fuel efficient sports sedan with over 400 hp and close to 400 torque and it's RELIABLE. What's to complain about? Let's see... "it weighs too much" and um "ride is too hard" and "too many gears" and "fake exhaust". If you really think about those 4 complaints, they're BS. It's not like "Oh, the tranny blew out" or "electrical gremlins" or "fuel pump broke for the 5th time" etc. LOL

My only complaint is that I don't want to park it right next to anybody and get door dinged. OH, and I forgot, "the paint is too soft".
Old 08-29-09 | 07:22 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Dude, even the Ferrari California has the same fake exhausts and you don't see them complaining about it.
Old 08-29-09 | 08:48 PM
LexFather

For C&D to write this positive about a Lexus speaks VOLUMES about the IS-F.

Thank you Lexus indeed!
Old 08-30-09 | 01:32 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sign me up.................
Old 08-30-09 | 03:44 PM
LexFather

Funny I had it but didn't read it....very good article. Also Top Gear has a long term IS-f they are loving...
Old 08-31-09 | 04:32 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
It is not that bad at all IMO..
The only issue I had with the F was indeed the ride quality. Ride over bumpy roads -or California roads- was painful for me because of its unpredictability. I mean that sometimes it seemed to be good over apparently bumpy sections but then suddenly would kick very hard over apparently good sections. In reality, some bumps were correctly managed while others would not so it was not really that unpredictable for one who could "read" them in advance.

I solved the problem by installing JIC FLT-TAR coilovers, manually adjustable in 16 steps (damping rate) and though I initially thought I would use a medium setting (already more comfortable and more compliant than stock) I set them to softest. I would set them to a harder setting should I go to a track. But in every day, even spirited mountain driving, that worked very well for me. The soft setting gives more of a "floating" feeling over bumps but the suspension manages very well and I have not noticed much sinking over hard cornering (partially explained by the much higher spring rate). Further, I have yet to make car hop (rear) with this suspension, something I had managed a couple times with the stock suspension. Finally, the car is slightly lower since the JIC would lower by 1/2 to 3/4 inch minimum, so the look is more aggressive.

The car should be sold with this JIC suspension as an option or better, have it standard. Not cheap as an after market option but the manufacturer could make it much cheaper. The manufacturer should also make sure mice can't get in the ventilation system or otherwise in the engine compartment...

So my only frustration left is that I rarely use the power because the opportunities are rare...
Old 08-31-09 | 07:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

LoL.. Thanks guys!!!

I guess I just have an eye for this now common error..

Originally Posted by IceIridium
LOL again Joe so astute in the oft-wronged practice of IS-F wheel mounting.
Originally Posted by DFLORES
joE Z WOW! again on the wheels! lol!
Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Damn - I just checked the wheels in my Car And Driver issue, and yes the wheels are backwards. Joe finds them every time. Eyes like a Hawk

Lou
Originally Posted by ISFer
LOL, Good catch, Joe.

C.
Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
haha, I swear Joe has a fetish with the wheels, he seems to be catching it every single time....
Originally Posted by DRE1615
Maybe Joe's are backwards and everybody elses are right??? LOL. Nice catch again
Old 08-31-09 | 07:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by foup
.....Further, I have yet to make car hop (rear) with the JIC suspension, something I had managed a couple times with the stock suspension. ......
Yes, I concur..!!

I have had this happen at least 2-3 times now, driving on SoCal freeways...

It's actually also lifted my a** out of my seat as well..

But I still love my F... Coils are on the way..

Joe Z
Old 08-31-09 | 07:24 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by foup
I solved the problem by installing JIC FLT-TAR coilovers, manually adjustable in 16 steps (damping rate) and though I initially thought I would use a medium setting (already more comfortable and more compliant than stock) I set them to softest. I would set them to a harder setting should I go to a track. But in every day, even spirited mountain driving, that worked very well for me. The soft setting gives more of a "floating" feeling over bumps but the suspension manages very well and I have not noticed much sinking over hard cornering (partially explained by the much higher spring rate). .
So if they're a higher spring rate than stock, could you please tell us what the stock spring rates are?
Old 08-31-09 | 07:25 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Also, what are the spring rates for the JIC's?
Old 08-31-09 | 07:27 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, great review Glad to see others are loving it and it is receiving the positive attention it deserves
Old 08-31-09 | 08:49 PM
mseigle
Driver School Candidate

can you tell us how much you paid for the coil overs and where did you get them?

thanks!
Old 09-01-09 | 10:26 AM
foup
Driver

There were several threads months ago about the suspension. Spring rate tells how much the suspension compresses with the force (or weight applied). I am not a suspension expert but I believe the stock front is around 9 Kg/mm and the JIC is 12 Kg/mm. It means to compress by 1 mm you need to put a 12 Kg weight on it. The higher that number the "harder" the suspension should feel, in theory.

Any suspension that would lower the car needs a higher spring rate because it has less distance to travel. Even though that would seem to indicate that it would feel firmer or less comfortable, the damper plays a big role as well and, according to some members, were the problem on the F. The JIC suspension seem to have a better designed/calibrated damper/spring combination which not only allow to lower the car but also make it more comfortable and more compliant on the road. I could not believe it until I saw the feedback from others so I decided to get one and indeed it works.
Old 09-01-09 | 10:28 AM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by mseigle
can you tell us how much you paid for the coil overs and where did you get them?

thanks!
From http://www.methodbuilt.com

Expect $2K to $2.5K installed.

Quick Reply: Long Term Test: 2008 Lexus IS F by Car & Driver