Long Term Test: 2008 Lexus IS F by Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 06:34 PM
FMA08ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Term Test: 2008 Lexus IS F by Car & Driver

Just got the Car & Driver Oct 09 issue in the mail today:

Verdict: CD assoc. editor Tony Quiroga summed up "...the ride is really bad. I caught myself laughing...but I was laughing, and not my cars make you laugh. A really special car, I totally fell for it. I'll be looking at used ones in the coming years..."

High: "we average 21 MPG over the 40,000-mile test...our long term BMW M3 has returned 17 MPG over 30,000 miles...The IS F achieved fuel economy as high as 28 MPG a few times"
"New: 0-60mph @4.4sec; 40,000 miles: 0-60mph still @4.4sec....feels just the the way it did when we got it 13 months ago....our long term M3 has loosened up, particularly its M DCT dual-clutch transmission; a critical observer might even call it tired"
Accomplished through "our long term test without unscheduled stop" compared to "2005 Porsche Boxster S...2007 Jaguar XK convertible...Audi S8"
"Ride aside, the IS F proved to be an excellent assault vehicle, expressly built for attacking expressways"

Low : bad in snow even with snow tires and in snow mode. "Rough Rider"

My personal judgement: I love the ride (and yes it is bumpy), the handling, the performance, and the fuel economy ( I averaged between 21 and 24 mpg ). Thank you Lexus
Old 08-27-09, 07:08 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone wants to discount fuel enonomy when comparing "sporty" cars. But I love when the car becomes a DD, like mine, it is something that really makes a big deal. B/c it should.
Old 08-27-09, 07:08 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

......good review and sounds about right.
Yet another who can get decent gas mileage out of this car. I have high hopes for my mileage tests and feel it's very capable.

......."bumpy ride" -- love it, since it also handles remarkably well...

C.
Old 08-27-09, 10:49 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The fuel economy is really astounding considering that it's a FIVE LITER performance engine in a 3800lb car. Got a full liter more than an M3 and gobs more torque AND gets much better mileage. It really is a sign of how well the car is engineered. When I was cross-shopping with a MB C63 AMG I cringed at that mileage figure. (Few months ago I heard AMG will finally adopt direct injection in some of its engines starting 2010 in order to help with the fuel economy, something the F already has...)

Some say it shouldn't be a factor in these types of cars but I disagree. For many of us, it's not just a weekend car, it's a full-time daily driven car and unless you drive like a dyck you're not going to stomp it ALL the time, so mileage IS a factor. Sometimes I just turn up the audio and let it cruise on a long stretch of road, and sometimes I want to letter' rip, and I can do either relatively guiltlessly.

And the ride? It really astounds me every time I hear a complaint about it. Try daily driving a Prelude with Tein coilovers for 8+ years then get back to me about the ride in the F. Even a buddy of mine who drives an AVALON(!) says the ride is nothing to whine about.

So "Thank you Lexus" indeed!
Old 08-27-09, 11:25 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium

For many of us, it's not just a weekend car, it's a full-time daily driven car ...
And some of us have one for the wife to do the shopping in!
Old 08-28-09, 12:02 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

screw that lol.. i usually only drive in the city... and get about 11 mpg.. although i must say.. i drive kinda stupid...
Old 08-28-09, 01:48 AM
Christan
Driver

I took delivery of my F today thank you lexus I love this car so much it rocks
Old 08-28-09, 05:12 AM
abyars
Driver School Candidate

Daily Driver here too. I love this car and nice to see Car and Driver compare the long term results with an M3. I was tossed between the two but having owned an IS350 that was bullet-proof I just assumed the IS-F was going to be and ~viola, it is. Thanks Lexus!!!! Now to set the goal a bit higher for myself and start thinking about HOW I am going to get an LF-A
Old 08-28-09, 06:32 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by btwanky
screw that lol.. i usually only drive in the city... and get about 11 mpg.. although i must say.. i drive kinda stupid...
Any v8 is going to get you around that mpg in the city driving. My Infiniti G37 averaged 12mpg in the local and I wasnt even driving like a nut with it. I love this Lexus, I average 18mpg in it while I averaged 16mpg in my G37.
Old 08-28-09, 06:35 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I swear Car and Drivers Bullcrapping about the mpg on the M3, no way they are getting that many mpg on that car. Betcha they are driving the m3 alot on the highway while they are driving alot on local for the F. My F averages 24-28mpg on the highway cruising at 80mph. I've gotten as high as 37mpg on the highway. this car is insane!!!
Old 08-28-09, 07:39 AM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL about the M3 feeling tired at 30k. Probably the only reason I'm not driving one is because I was fearful of that very problem, and, my fears came true!
Old 08-28-09, 08:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Being rock solid is what it's all about, especially after 40k miles. Despite the few rattles I have here and there, the IS F has been solid for me at 18.5k miles.
Old 08-28-09, 09:20 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Its great to see that review everytime I look at C and D. It goes to show that this is the most understated car in its class. As a car with a truly addicting experience, it is hard for any editor to hate once they drive it. I love watching the MPG meter jump when I am good and I love the car when I decide I want to drop the hammers. To which it still gives me around 18 average.

no regrets here either at 15K
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-28-09, 10:14 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, don't i feel like "dropping the hammer" much more now....
Old 08-28-09, 11:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The Full Online review can be read here:

2008 Lexus IS F - Long-Term Road Test

I left a comment for them....

Regards,
Joe Z

Originally Posted by FMA08ISF
Just got the Car & Driver Oct 09 issue in the mail today:

Verdict: CD assoc. editor Tony Quiroga summed up "...the ride is really bad. I caught myself laughing...but I was laughing, and not my cars make you laugh. A really special car, I totally fell for it. I'll be looking at used ones in the coming years..."

High: "we average 21 MPG over the 40,000-mile test...our long term BMW M3 has returned 17 MPG over 30,000 miles...The IS F achieved fuel economy as high as 28 MPG a few times"
"New: 0-60mph @4.4sec; 40,000 miles: 0-60mph still @4.4sec....feels just the the way it did when we got it 13 months ago....our long term M3 has loosened up, particularly its M DCT dual-clutch transmission; a critical observer might even call it tired"
Accomplished through "our long term test without unscheduled stop" compared to "2005 Porsche Boxster S...2007 Jaguar XK convertible...Audi S8"
"Ride aside, the IS F proved to be an excellent assault vehicle, expressly built for attacking expressways"

Low : bad in snow even with snow tires and in snow mode. "Rough Rider"

My personal judgement: I love the ride (and yes it is bumpy), the handling, the performance, and the fuel economy ( I averaged between 21 and 24 mpg ). Thank you Lexus

Quick Reply: Long Term Test: 2008 Lexus IS F by Car & Driver