IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP !!! JUST INSTALLED INTAKE AND HAVE ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 04:32 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!! JUST INSTALLED INTAKE AND HAVE ?s

Whats up everyone. Well here is my situation. I ordered the K & N intake for my car and it came in today. Took it to my friends shop and installed it. Now here is where my question come... First off let me start by asking is there any break in time for the ECU to readjust and callibrate with the car? Because the first time I drove it after the install, i put in second gear reving around 2 thousand, punched it, and it felt really restricted... When it got to 4 thousand it kinda boged out for half a second and then kicked back in...it was wierd.... I have no check engine lights on, and the install was done fine...I was standing over watching.. Also, when I am in first gear and a complete stop, my car wont even peel out...??? Im gonna drive it over the weekend, but if it is still like this on monday, the stock intake system is going back in... Please if anyone has info that can help me it would be appreciated....dont want to put the stock back in cuz I love the sound but cant have it running like that...
Old 08-28-09, 04:58 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds to me as if the intake is sucking in too much hot air in the engine. this is known and can't be avoided since its an open intake. did u install the heat shield?
Old 08-28-09, 04:59 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Hi,

I have the K&N and did not have the problems you stated. After installing it myself I noticed the car did not start in one click, it was like the car was going to shut down( maybe because of the ECU readjusting or callibrating).
After a few seconds it was ok...no engine light,quick at any gear. had it 2 months no problems. I am no expert but did you check for leaks?
Old 08-28-09, 05:10 PM
j8123
Driver

Double check directions, make sure all connections are secure. Pull negative battery terminal (Reset ECU) for 15min and put back on. Drive car. Should be fine.
Old 08-28-09, 05:20 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j8123
double check directions, make sure all connections are secure. Pull negative battery terminal (reset ecu) for 15min and put back on. Drive car. Should be fine.
i did not think the ecu could be reset like that?
Old 08-28-09, 05:52 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
sounds to me as if the intake is sucking in too much hot air in the engine. this is known and can't be avoided since its an open intake. did u install the heat shield?
Yes I did install the heat shield...well after letting the car sit and then driving it again it felt a lot more responsive... I drove it for a while on the highway at regualr throttle...then after a good 15 minutes of regualr driving I gunned it in automatic at 70 and it felt AMAZING... then on the way home gave it a little run from first to third and it felt nice ...Still not 100 percent sure its fixed but at least starting to feel better... I will double check to make sure there are no leaks but I think the ECU just had to get used to it... And yes during the install I disconnected the battery.. I think its gonna work out...Well see how tomorrow goes..
Old 08-29-09, 12:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Double check directions, make sure all connections are secure. Pull negative battery terminal (Reset ECU) for 15min and put back on. Drive car. Should be fine.
Originally Posted by DFLORES
i did not think the ecu could be reset like that?
People persist in posting bad info about ECM resets all the time. Just pull the EFI1 fuse for a minute and all is good. At least that way you save your presets and nav firmware.
Old 08-29-09, 01:56 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had K&N intake for about three month now... i do not have any problems you stated either... hope everything works out
Old 08-29-09, 03:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
People persist in posting bad info about ECM resets all the time. Just pull the EFI1 fuse for a minute and all is good. At least that way you save your presets and nav firmware.
Agreed. Hate to say it Lance, but most people don't even know how to do this operation....and it's the best method too!
Old 08-29-09, 07:41 AM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's a great idea let's tell a guy that has no clue what he is doing to find the fuse and pull it. That would take a picture, directions and three or follow up posts to ensure he understood completely. The fact that he said he had some else install his intake would tell me he is not ready to tackle anything more difficult then pulling the negative cable off his battery. It is much easier to tell him to disconnet a cable. Make sense?
Old 08-29-09, 09:05 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your MAF sensor. Incorrectly installed MAF sensors are known to cause these issues.

Javier
Old 08-29-09, 10:33 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

That's a great idea let's tell a guy that has no clue what he is doing to find the fuse and pull it. That would take a picture, directions and three or follow up posts to ensure he understood completely. The fact that he said he had some else install his intake would tell me he is not ready to tackle anything more difficult then pulling the negative cable off his battery. It is much easier to tell him to disconnet a cable. Make sense?
At least there are multiple solutions...
Old 08-29-09, 11:22 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I have reset the Ecm after every modification... try that and drive 200 miles or so. And also you should drive a good distance so you can see if any codes pop up. I know that when i didnt have my air box on correctly the car would throw a code every 200 after i reset the ecm.
Old 08-29-09, 11:27 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I have reset the Ecm after every modification... try that and drive 200 miles or so. And also you should drive a good distance so you can see if any codes pop up. I know that when i didnt have my air box on correctly the car would throw a code every 200 after i reset the ecm.
where is that fuse located? i never do that after mods maybe i should!