F-sport rear lower brace on ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 12:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's pretty hard to imagine how a big open rectangle could add stiffness to anything.
Well the 2 stamped steel braces and one tubular piece are designed to work to oem specs just fine..

But, do you not think the one piece welded design is stiffer.. ??
Wether its installed on IS350 or even an IS-F...

Originally Posted by F-Sport Under Chassis Brace

Increase structural stiffness in the rear suspension mounts under the chassis ahead of the rear wheels with the F-Sport Under Chassis Brace. This helps limit deflection of the rear suspension particularly under cornering loads. It replaces the stamped steel OE brace. The F-Sport Brace is constructed of formed high-strength 19mm diameter x 1.7mm wall steel tubing reinforced with laser cut steel plate that is Tig welded and finished in F-Sport Blue.
Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-06-09 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-06-09, 12:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Another thing I just noticed is that the F-Sport Chassis brace is ONLY designed to fit the 2006 to 2008 IS250 & IS350...

Since that part was developed here in the USA where there were NO Underbody Aerodynamic panels in those years..

So basically, this brace will not install correctly on an IS-F or 2009+ ISx50, unless the panels are ditched..
That's also why its no longer listed on Lexus.com accessory page.

On the other hand the TOM's unit was/is built flat with tabs in place to accept the under body panels.
Built to fit ALL IS250, IS350 & IS-F models from 2006 to 2010 (so far)...

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 09-06-09, 08:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Yeah, but the F-Sport actually does have some triangulation in it. The Tom's piece is no better than stock, it's just heavier. If they ran tubes in an X across the open space it might actually do something, but this brace is just about as worthless as a shock tower bar held together with pivot bolts. See below for how it should have been done. Either of these would have been vastly better than what they did.
Attached Thumbnails F-sport rear lower brace on ISF?-is-f-bracing.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-06-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-06-09, 08:47 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, but the F-Sport actually does have some triangulation in it. The Tom's piece is no better than stock, it's just heavier. If they ran tubes in an X across the open space it might actually do something, but this brace is just about as worthless as a shock tower bar held together with pivot bolts. See below for how it should have been done. Either of these would have been vastly better than what they did.
Couldn't have agreed more.

As an frame of reference:
Compare a cardboard box's rigidity with the bottom/top open, then compare it closed.
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (08-21-19)
Old 09-06-09, 02:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I do see your point and understand it completely..

But, the Toms solid 1 piece unit welded in 12 places has to be stiffer than the "flimsy" 2 Oem stamped steel braces and the 1 Oem tubular cross member brace.

Plus, it comes with the stiffer replacement center smaller brace..

Also, available for the F are a few more solid rear braces and the 2 front braces..

I'm NO suspension expert but these parts should be a whole lot stiffer & ridge, when compared to the OEM pieces.
&
Should provide an overall improvement over them as well..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-06-09 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 02:46 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those welds look horrible!!! needs to be billet with spherical hiems. this way it can be preloaded for tighted chassis stiffening.
Old 09-06-09, 03:54 PM
MINO
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Interesting install...

So you didn't remove the exisitng OEM braces..??
Left the factory braces on for 2 reasons:
1) As you already addressed - tabs for the panels.
2) Didn't see why using all the braces would be a deficit.
Old 09-06-09, 04:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MINO
Totally makes sense now...
Old 09-08-09, 10:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MINO
Extra weight on an already heavy car?

I'm still not 100% convinced all this bracing is anything more than dead weight. I'd really like to see some quantification, like measured chassis flex. Just because a piece looks bigger and "beefier" than the OEM piece doesn't mean it is necessary or even providing value. Case in point is any shock/strut tower bar using brackets and a beam bolted to the brackets in a pivot design. Those things are really nothing but dead weight because they don't do the thing you want - reduce camber loss on the outside front wheel. They just pivot on the pivot bolt and flex like the hinge they are.

Perfect example of bad:

Perfect example of at least better:

Example of something that might actually do what you want:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy stuff like this without really figuring out whether it is needed or not.
Old 09-08-09, 10:44 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I would hope TOM's R&D on the IS-F is legitimate... I would almost bet some of these guys worked on helping develop the IS- F in Japan with Lexus.

While where are on the Topic of Front Shock tower bars....

How do you feel about this one??

- Joe Z
Old 09-08-09, 11:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I would hope TOM's R&D on the IS-F is legitimate... I would almost bet some of these guys worked on helping develop the IS- F in Japan with Lexus.

While where are on the Topic of Front Shock tower bars....

How do you feel about this one??

- Joe Z
With anything less than slicks, you won't notice a difference. There might be a slight measurable difference on the track but nothing substantial. The F would benefit far more from something attaching to the firewall and the shock towers, but even then, the difference will not be something you feel on the street (unless you're concerned about chassis flex from driving up driveways or over speed bumps at an angle because your car is so low).

Case in point - Targa top Supras benefit from a shock tower bar. Hard top Supras do not because the chassis is a whole lot stiffer without the removable panel in the roof. Since the F has a solid roof (for the most part anyway), you're not going to make a SOTP difference.

If the car had struts everything I'm saying would be different, but we don't, so I don't have a lot of concern about front (or rear) flex on the IS chassis with street tires.
Old 09-08-09, 11:18 AM
MINO
Driver

Extra weight on an already heavy car?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy stuff like this without really figuring out whether it is needed or not.
What's another 15lbs? I've got a beefy trunk mat too - wanna complain about that? Get off your high horse. If I wanted a light performance car I would've kept my Evo IX.

I got a free brace and wanted to see if I could put it on... for fun. There aren't many budget minded mods available for this car... sucks for a guy that loves to work in the garage.

If it helps, great. If not I'll sell it.
Old 09-08-09, 11:21 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts