IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

3 wheels decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09 | 06:08 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by primecut
Hm. You're not paying for the name. You're paying for the quality. Maybe you didn't know, but Volk wheels are immaculate and their stuff is top notch. You're also looking at a monoblock forged wheel. Not sure why you're comparing them to domestic 3-piece wheels.
Would u say the quality is far better than the two companies I mentioned and also what are your thoughts on 3 piece forged vs monoblock forged. I'm not a wheel expert lol
Old 09-14-09 | 06:58 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DiauR1
Would u say the quality is far better than the two companies I mentioned and also what are your thoughts on 3 piece forged vs monoblock forged. I'm not a wheel expert lol
Its not really a quality question, its more of a personal preference. Volks wheels are of great quality, so are the D2 wheels.

If you have any questions about our product, feel free to contact me directly.
Old 09-14-09 | 07:10 PM
darkearth
Driver School Candidate

GT30's!!!!
Old 09-15-09 | 01:48 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

It's all good man. Unfortunately I can't speak for the quality of D2 or 360 because I have never seen them in person. Basically 1 piece forged is usually more pricey because they are meant to be stronger and lighter than the 3-piece. But 3 piece designs usually look better with the rivets and a bigger lip and what not. So it's all a matter of preference.

I just know that you won't be disappointed in the quality of Volks. When I bought my set on a previous car, their quality was just awesome, from the paint to the details.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-15-09 | 07:03 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I don't think 1-piece forged wheels are more expensive than 3-piece wheels, all the opposite. Last month I was wheel-shopping and got quotes for all kind of wheels. A set of HRE monoblocks were around $1000 cheaper than their 3-piece sets.

I love monoblocks, I was close to buy this set but realized that they don't belong on an IS-F, too bad...

Volks are one of the top on my list, but some of the local brands are just as good. One thing that you can have going with a 3-piece wheel (local options) is getting a fully customized wheel, made exactly to your specs and taste.
Old 09-15-09 | 07:29 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

I appreciate everyones opinion and knowledge
justing trying to decide which set of wheels to go for, I use to think my wife has a hard time deciding on shoes but this is much worse! Lol
Old 09-15-09 | 07:51 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juanca
One thing that you can have going with a 3-piece wheel (local options) is getting a fully customized wheel, made exactly to your specs and taste.
Amen brother! LOL

I personally like the G2's out of all of those..
Old 09-15-09 | 07:54 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut
Hm. You're not paying for the name. You're paying for the quality. Maybe you didn't know, but Volk wheels are immaculate and their stuff is top notch. You're also looking at a monoblock forged wheel. Not sure why you're comparing them to domestic 3-piece wheels.
Thing is he said the wrong 3 piece wheels company...

360 FORGED...

Those guys really messed it up for those other 3 Piece Forged wheel companies...

Now people question the quality of 3 piece forged??

3 Piece forged wheels are made out of the best aluminum out there...

It all depends WHO you get it from whether you get used parts or not (a.k.a 360 Forged)
Old 09-15-09 | 07:57 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

G2 ftw
Old 09-15-09 | 08:17 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I appreciate everyones opinion and knowledge
justing trying to decide which set of wheels to go for, I use to think my wife has a hard time deciding on shoes but this is much worse! Lol
If you like, give me a call at the office today. I'll give you some feedback, and unbiased advice.
Old 09-16-09 | 09:21 PM
Fsonic
Rookie

DiauR1,

Good post bro! Which have you decided on?

I bent 2 of my custom black painted stock BBS wheels (left front / right rear), going over a center embankment, after loosing control on Montague Expressway this past weekend. Had VSC fully off and went into a turn too hard and couldn't recover.

Needed new wheels to get back on the road and was considering these autocoutures:

I like the look of these on starfire. They have a similar 10 spoke look as the stockers. Most of the guys I've asked have no comment on these wheels. What do ya'll think?

Regardless, I've taken the advice of some of our senior members and ordered up a set of 20" G2s (Matte Black). Decided Volks are more authentic to the IS-F with minimal sacrifice in performance w/ their 20's. The G2s are one of the lightest 20's (approx. 24lbs) I could find as most aftermarket 20's are in the 35lbs range. Installing by the end of the week and will update with some pics.

I'm hoping the 6 spoke, 1pc monoblock design won't contradict the lines on the F. They look good on the GT-R and 370Z... We'll see soon enough.

Last edited by Fsonic; 09-16-09 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-19-09 | 07:47 AM
Fsonic
Rookie

WOO HOO!!!!

G2s ALL THE WAY!! Have considered ya'lls comments on deez mugs. Installed em', 20X9 on 245/30/20 and 20X10 on 285/25/20. SICK AS F. Makes the stockers look pedestrian and I never thought I'd say that. Prior pics do no justice for these rims whatsoever. Has definetly made my starfire F look like a race car.

To whom it may concern, If you're gettin the same application, you'll need to modify the rear fenders and your car better be lowered or it aint gonna look right.

Matte Black G2s on Starfire!! FTW!!

Last edited by Fsonic; 09-19-09 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-19-09 | 08:58 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

NICE! Please post pic!! Did you have to roll the fenders? Did you have someone do it and how much did they charge? cant wait to see the G2!

The G2 was the one i liked the most in formula silver
Old 09-19-09 | 01:39 PM
Fsonic
Rookie

Yes, fenders will need to be cut if your gonna be lowered on 20's. My shop did it free of charge since I got the G2s from them.

Formula Silver would look dope on Obsidian or SGM.
Old 09-19-09 | 07:00 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

i dont plan to drop so would i be fine w/o rubbing on stock suspension?

Quick Reply: 3 wheels decision