IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Got a new job now time to buy and IS-F! =)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 01:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Ultrasonic Blue
Ultrasonic Blue Mica
Old 09-16-09, 01:18 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 09-16-09, 01:22 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you ever want a black one let me know.
Old 09-16-09, 01:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Default Congrats on the new position..

I looked at some CPO's and I coudn't deal with... (on a personal level)

Try to work #'s on some New left over 09's...

You just might be able to ge a great deal on a new one..

Jz
Old 09-16-09, 02:15 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats on the new job! I just started a new job about a month ago after being laid off for about 5 months. Going to pay off some student loans, wifes car and oh yeah have a new son/daugther end of next month Then in December, (hopefully with the wifes ok ) order a 2010 USB ISF
Old 09-16-09, 05:00 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

its a used IS-F. i dont think it will be that easy to find one in any color. you gotta take what you get
Old 09-16-09, 05:03 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Starfire Pearl, stays clean, doesn't show swirls, cooler getting into. Congrats, wish you every success on the new job !!
Old 09-16-09, 05:08 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats on the raise!

Definitely go with the Ultrasonic Blue. Look out for the brake wear items (pads, rotors) since a brakejobs gonna cost alot..
Old 09-17-09, 07:00 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Ok guys there is a SGM for sale by a chevy dealer in my town guy traded it in on a 09 Zo6 but I am afraid to buy one that is not a CPO any help here guys what should I do???? oh and it is a 08 with 11,000 on it with nav for 47,000
Old 09-17-09, 08:04 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Congrats on the new job and on your ambitious purchase.

Now, color choice, as one has mentioned before, is purely subjective. Go with what you like, but if you want my .02 cents I'd say go with either the Ultrasonic Blue or the Starfire Pearl. The other colors simply don't do it for me… It may have something to do with the fact that when I picked up my F last year the local dealership had the blue and the white in stock and I had a tough time choosing between the two. Keep in mind that the blue is exclusive (or rather was exclusive) to the IS F, so if you're shopping for a 2008 or low VIN 2009 it is highly likely that the blue will be much more expensive than the other colors (well, maybe $1-2000 more).

You'll notice one thing when it comes to options and it's that the F's without nav/ML are few and far between in the used car market. At least around here, I've yet to see a used F that did not have the Series II option which includes the navigation system and the Mark Levinson audio package, which are the only options available with the F. Around here, one isn't available without the other. The only other option I can think about are the seat colors… you will not pay a premium for the white seats, but for the red 'terra-cotta' ones, you might as it is a rare option.

As far as 'things to look out for' goes, there aren't many at all. I'd personally check for scratches and rock chips on the paint… I haven't had a problem with rock chips yet (I only have one), but there are a lot of members reporting that the paint is kind of soft. Keep in mind that both UBM and SP are 'metallic' colors (well, one is pearl), and paint chips and deeper scratches are difficult to repair. If you get the white seats, make sure that they are stain-free. Mine are holding up pretty well but as we all know dark denim dyes off on lighter fabrics.

Last but not least you might want to take a while to look at a number of things. Check the rims to see if they are chipped or scratched… it's a good idea while you're at it to bring a tire tread depth gauge and measure the tires especially the ones in the rear as they wear very fast. If they are anywhere below 5/32nds, you might want to negotiate the price down a little more as tires can get expensive on the F. When my friend bought his F the previous owner, who owns a CPO Toyota dealership near Montreal, gave him two Michelin Pilot PS2s for the rears and left the old tires on so that he could have some fun with it for a while. Last but not least you might want to ask to take it for a spin… check the brakes, make sure to gun it a few times to make sure it has all its power… the engines are all hand-tuned by Yamaha so there might be some weaker ones. Mine, personally, I believe, is a bit of a factory monster.

I think that's pretty much it. Have fun!

Originally Posted by rscott22
Ok guys there is a SGM for sale by a chevy dealer in my town guy traded it in on a 09 Zo6 but I am afraid to buy one that is not a CPO any help here guys what should I do???? oh and it is a 08 with 11,000 on it with nav for 47,000
I'd say you should go check it out to make sure you like the color... and to check it out. I'd be pretty weary about someone trading in a daily-driveable monster for a fricken' Corvette. Finding a CPO IS F will be very difficult... most are not out of lease yet. My friend was M3-shopping for a CPO 2006 M3 and none were available yet, so it might take some time. You should probably visit your Lexus dealer and check out the new ones, I'm pretty sure there's a couple of unsold 2008 still sitting around.

Last edited by FisforFast; 09-17-09 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 09:24 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

buy a new 2010 LSD!
Old 09-17-09, 11:40 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Congrats on the new job and on your ambitious purchase.

Now, color choice, as one has mentioned before, is purely subjective. Go with what you like, but if you want my .02 cents I'd say go with either the Ultrasonic Blue or the Starfire Pearl. The other colors simply don't do it for me… It may have something to do with the fact that when I picked up my F last year the local dealership had the blue and the white in stock and I had a tough time choosing between the two. Keep in mind that the blue is exclusive (or rather was exclusive) to the IS F, so if you're shopping for a 2008 or low VIN 2009 it is highly likely that the blue will be much more expensive than the other colors (well, maybe $1-2000 more).

You'll notice one thing when it comes to options and it's that the F's without nav/ML are few and far between in the used car market. At least around here, I've yet to see a used F that did not have the Series II option which includes the navigation system and the Mark Levinson audio package, which are the only options available with the F. Around here, one isn't available without the other. The only other option I can think about are the seat colors… you will not pay a premium for the white seats, but for the red 'terra-cotta' ones, you might as it is a rare option.

As far as 'things to look out for' goes, there aren't many at all. I'd personally check for scratches and rock chips on the paint… I haven't had a problem with rock chips yet (I only have one), but there are a lot of members reporting that the paint is kind of soft. Keep in mind that both UBM and SP are 'metallic' colors (well, one is pearl), and paint chips and deeper scratches are difficult to repair. If you get the white seats, make sure that they are stain-free. Mine are holding up pretty well but as we all know dark denim dyes off on lighter fabrics.

Last but not least you might want to take a while to look at a number of things. Check the rims to see if they are chipped or scratched… it's a good idea while you're at it to bring a tire tread depth gauge and measure the tires especially the ones in the rear as they wear very fast. If they are anywhere below 5/32nds, you might want to negotiate the price down a little more as tires can get expensive on the F. When my friend bought his F the previous owner, who owns a CPO Toyota dealership near Montreal, gave him two Michelin Pilot PS2s for the rears and left the old tires on so that he could have some fun with it for a while. Last but not least you might want to ask to take it for a spin… check the brakes, make sure to gun it a few times to make sure it has all its power… the engines are all hand-tuned by Yamaha so there might be some weaker ones. Mine, personally, I believe, is a bit of a factory monster.

I think that's pretty much it. Have fun!

I'd say you should go check it out to make sure you like the color... and to check it out. I'd be pretty weary about someone trading in a daily-driveable monster for a fricken' Corvette. Finding a CPO IS F will be very difficult... most are not out of lease yet. My friend was M3-shopping for a CPO 2006 M3 and none were available yet, so it might take some time. You should probably visit your Lexus dealer and check out the new ones, I'm pretty sure there's a couple of unsold 2008 still sitting around.
wow thanks for the great advice man!
Old 09-17-09, 11:58 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by rscott22
wow thanks for the great advice man!
No problem, just PM me if you need any additional help.
Old 09-18-09, 07:35 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I didn't know the F has decreased so much in price. If I didn't purchase the 07 sc430, I def will buy the F.
Old 09-18-09, 10:01 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Sc is a girls car! Sc430. I had two love the car but saw more girls than guys driving it !