IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Evo vs. IS F?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 08:12 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo vs. IS F?

So I got a lot of flak last year on the Evo forums when I traded in my 5-month-old Evolution X for an IS F... I mean those guys are convinced that the M3 is an overall better car than the IS F. I was wondering what you guys thought about the Evo and how it stacks up against a car like the IS F?
Old 09-17-09, 08:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i think the IS-F is a great car but compared to the other two, i would choose one of the other (preferibly the M3) because both come manual.
Old 09-17-09, 08:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me evo is a different car, a lot more performance oriented with almost no sense of luxury.

isf and m3 are in the same league, both have their pros and cons, and depending on what you want out of the car one of them would be the front runner. i don't see a clear "better" choice
Old 09-17-09, 08:27 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The evos have been one of my personal favorites for a while now. With a few bolt ons and a tune, an evo would more than likely walk all over an F (I know I've lost to some bolt on/tuned up evo's). The evos four wheel drive gives them insane traction whereas most F's have trouble grabbing the pavement. Interior and luxury wise, the F is without a doubt above and beyond any evo
Old 09-17-09, 08:52 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rominl and BigMikeISF are correct, I used to drive an Evo and agree with them 100%.
Old 09-17-09, 09:16 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I have access to a Evo X MR with a ECU reflash and a handful of other minor mods (intake, exhaust, etc.) and think it's a fantastic car. Tons of power, makes a decent daily driver (with the front seats in my normal driving/sitting position, there is more rear space than the F), and the dual clutch is tons of fun. Plus, if someone really wants to tune the MR, there is huge potential. I have always loved the Evo and while I think the new cars are way too soft, Mitsubishi aimed mainstream and IMO has done a great job with that in mind.

With the ECU reflash, the MR digs the F no problem, but there is no contest above around 80mph or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the modded MR is making close to 380bhp if not more, but it cannot match the midrange or top end of the F.

Where the MR cannot match the F is in luxury and reliability. The F has a far more luxurious interior and has better features. I know you are talking about the X generally, but I'm not convinced the SST is that reliable - especially when working with a tuned engine. The ride is pretty similar; I think the F rear suspension is a little harder but that overall the F has a slightly better ride, but they're close.

Originally Posted by FisforFast
... I mean those guys are convinced that the M3 is an overall better car than the IS F.
Well, there are a lot of morons who think that. Like my buddy, whose E46 M3's SMG failed, which, in true BMW fanboy fashion, prompted him to buy an E92 M3 with DCT - which, of course, C+D in their long term tests is now referring to as "tired" and "loose" by just 40k miles. Well, hey, "tired" and "loose" is better than failing outright, I suppose!

To suggest that the M3 is a better car or a better daily driver than the F is patently absurd, and demonstrates a biased thought process usually limited to BMW fanboys.
Old 09-17-09, 09:28 AM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
The evos have been one of my personal favorites for a while now. With a few bolt ons and a tune, an evo would more than likely walk all over an F (I know I've lost to some bolt on/tuned up evo's). The evos four wheel drive gives them insane traction whereas most F's have trouble grabbing the pavement. Interior and luxury wise, the F is without a doubt above and beyond any evo
If you are racing some of the Dallas or Austin Evo crew, damn near 90% of them are on alky injection, which makes a huge difference. I know most of those guys as I owned an Evo for three years when I lived in Texas. They won't tell you it is on alky unless you ask or poop their trunks...lol They can get real close to 400whp on stock turbo with meth. A few have gone past 400whp, but it is not the norm. That is enough to give the F a run for it's money on the freeway.

I don't think you can really compare the Evo to the F. Totally different cars in my opinion. One is built cheap and offers exceptional performance for the buck. The other is not cheap and offers great performance. There is no comparison handling wise between the two cars. Hands down the Evo just feels so balanced and predictible. The F is great, but not at the same level with feedback. Power, well it does not cost much to kill an F with an Evo, but it will cost you by modifing the Evo. Their transfercases shatter, I know I broke three at the track. Their transmissions have major problems, just about everyone I knew that owned one including myself had to have the sincros replaced at some point. They make strange noises that make you want to kill yourself. I would hear a new noise everyday. At night I would try to think what the hell was that noise? Overall though for the money you can't beat them. Now on the other hand my F has not had any of these problems. That was the main reason I bought the car. I got sick of moddifing all my cars and wanted something fun to drive, that would not be in the shop all the time. Plus you will get more ***** in the F over the Evo...lol
Old 09-17-09, 09:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
To suggest that the M3 is a better car or a better daily driver than the F is patently absurd, and demonstrates a biased thought process usually limited to BMW fanboys.
i wholehearted disagree, i think the same applies otherwise.

i personally think the m3 is a better daily driver and people know i am not a bmw fanboy. to me the isf has a louder drone and stiffer suspension for daily driving than the m3 (which some isf owners actually agree with me). but there are other stuff about the isf that makes it a preferable daily drive.
Old 09-17-09, 10:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gengar
I have access to a Evo X MR with a ECU reflash and a handful of other minor mods (intake, exhaust, etc.) and think it's a fantastic car. Tons of power, makes a decent daily driver (with the front seats in my normal driving/sitting position, there is more rear space than the F), and the dual clutch is tons of fun. Plus, if someone really wants to tune the MR, there is huge potential. I have always loved the Evo and while I think the new cars are way too soft, Mitsubishi aimed mainstream and IMO has done a great job with that in mind.

With the ECU reflash, the MR digs the F no problem, but there is no contest above around 80mph or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the modded MR is making close to 380bhp if not more, but it cannot match the midrange or top end of the F.

Where the MR cannot match the F is in luxury and reliability. The F has a far more luxurious interior and has better features. I know you are talking about the X generally, but I'm not convinced the SST is that reliable - especially when working with a tuned engine. The ride is pretty similar; I think the F rear suspension is a little harder but that overall the F has a slightly better ride, but they're close.

Well, there are a lot of morons who think that. Like my buddy, whose E46 M3's SMG failed, which, in true BMW fanboy fashion, prompted him to buy an E92 M3 with DCT - which, of course, C+D in their long term tests is now referring to as "tired" and "loose" by just 40k miles. Well, hey, "tired" and "loose" is better than failing outright, I suppose!

I must say you're right. Bimmer fans will forever be bimmer fans and think all other cars are far inferior. The F certainly competes and competes well, and for many m3 owners to think that it doesnt is completely ignorant of them. that is the one main factor when purchasing my F. i didnt want a vehicle that would have problems down the road. a "tired" and "loose" car is no way as great to drive as an energetic and tight car like the IS F.

As for the Evo being better than the F, even with its bolt ons and tuning, how can anyone compate rally sport to luxury sport? it makes more sense for people to compare the F to the M3, but the evo's class is far more inspired by the likes of the the subaru impreza sti, which the new ones does have a certain flair, i might say. but a driver has his own personal taste. maybe the evo is right for him/her, but if a luxurious feel enters the picture, and most often it does, the lexus would suit both the racing enthusiast needs as well as the luxury comfort need.
Old 09-17-09, 10:17 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQK0W...e=channel_page

Evo is a quick way to have some fun... Just doesn't pass the daily test for me. Much respect for the car in almost every respect though.

I dont drive an m3 because the car is full of fail(My Opinion).
Old 09-17-09, 10:24 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to me evo is a different car, a lot more performance oriented with almost no sense of luxury.

isf and m3 are in the same league, both have their pros and cons, and depending on what you want out of the car one of them would be the front runner. i don't see a clear "better" choice
Couldn't agree more with Henry's comments here. Evo's sure are fun to drive, but I wouldn't be able to put with the ride quality and noise for a daily driver. The IS-F is the ultimate performance daily driver.

Javier
Old 09-17-09, 10:36 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

i had an Evo IX MR before and i can say that it gave me a smile every time i drove that car. i had so much fun driving up the mountains. it just had superb grip on the road when you hit the corners. i would definitely get an Evo again. as for the F, you cannot really compare it to the Evo. as everyone has said in this thread before me, it is more performance oriented and the F is more on luxury.
Old 09-17-09, 10:37 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

The Evo is an awesome car!!! It is indeed a very very good bang for the buck car. I picked up an evo 8 and my IsF basically on the same day and drove both of them simultaneously. I know the evo 8 is not the evo x but its close enough for comparison purposes. Heres what I got out of it, the evo is what I would consider a speed junky, it has ton of torque, handles good, looks very agressive, cheap speed, basically a high school kids dream come true. The F on the otherhand, not as quick responding, very fast also, quiet, and SMOOTH!!! something that the evo cannot achieve. The F feels very nice and heavy, dunno if thats a good thing or not, but it feels like it can go 120mph+ nice and steady and safely, on the other hand, an evo feels like a civic where you have to hold on to your dear life after 90mph. Obviously, the evo's interior can't touch the IsF's interior either. But their mass produced Recaro seats are very nice too.. Oh, one thing though, the Evo's interior is very big when compared to the IsF, seems like there is alot more interior room especially the back seats. Apples for apples, its obvious that the Evo is not as fast as the IsF STOCK!! its only when you start modding it, then you achieve a faster speed, but that is not fair if you ask me, yeah, you can say a couple hundred for re flash, a few for intake, a few for exhaust work and you got a super fast car, but we can put two snails in our car also, then we would get the answer, its so much more expensive for our turbo kit and I would reply, I can make my $600 Honda Civic faster than your evo too.... It'll never end, this conversation can go on forever.
Old 09-17-09, 10:41 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Oh, by the way, the evo's are not cheap anymore!!! they can easily hit $40k+ without blinking. Thats another thing to consider.... Evo use to be aorund $32k which in my opinion is a relatively fair price, still steep when coming up from a $16k civic, but they are now $40k+ for a loaded one, thats bringing the evo into a whole new territory, price wise.. For a "fun" car I would choose the Mazda3speed cause its still $20k and change for a new one.....
Old 09-17-09, 10:57 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

I love me ALL !!! :P but IMO....

(1) M3 : New ones are way too much for 3 series ... Barely used one be a perfect candidate ...amazing car tho !!

(2) Lexus ISF : I'd get IS350 and keep the change for wheels, sus and body kit. I don't see much diff... just that V8 sound kicks in after 4-5k rpm !! :P Don't get me wrong, it's FAST !!!

(3) EVO : Cheap (evo 9 older) and Fast.... love it but too "ricey" for me (at least for my age).

I pick... #1 Evo 9 (new one's like over 40g), #2 BMW M3 then #3 ISF.

Last edited by Jay; 09-17-09 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo vs. IS F?