IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 01:56 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Nope. Maybe here lies my problem. No resurfacing or sanding was done on my rotors upon installation of the new pads. What should I do now? I know I can't bring it back to Lexus and have them resurface my rotors for free...or can I?

Glad to see your feeling my pain now with the rears as well.
How many miles have you put on the Hawks pads so far? Even the salesperson who sold me these (as a part of a gb from Lexus of Dayton) made sure to tell me that at the LEAST I would have to sand the rotors b4 installing the HAwks or I would have alot of headaches. I'm assuming if you haven't put alot of miles on these you should be able to get away with a sanding/resurfacing...assuming you've only put on a 100 or so miles?As far as Lexus resurfacing the rotors @ your mileage I don't think they will do it even if you take it back stock-they will just say you need some brake service at this milelage Mr. ExcluivIS Sucks b*lls bro Wish you had mentioned it me when we talked wheels On a positive note Mike(passnu2) installed my Hid3k fogs yesterday-you were right they are the *****! Lovin them Thnx Mike.... Sam i'm leaving work at 5pm and have the day off tmrw...call my cell if you need me.
Old 09-21-09, 07:49 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

I do not believe in resurfacing rotors. There should be minimum pad buildup if you have been using stock pads especially if you only drive on the street. Also if you are going to more aggressive pad, it will remove any previous bad buildup. If you are getting squeaking, there are 2 things you can do. One is chamfer the leading/trailing edge with a metal file so that they resemble the stock pads. This will cut back on noise but since others are saying they are not getting any squeaks with these pads, you might just have some material (rock, sand, etc) b/w the rotor and brake pad. If that is the case, get some brake cleaner and spray the caliper and it should help eliminate the problem.

For those having a soft pedal after changing brakes, that is normal if you don't also flush/bleed the brake fluid. I always flush my fluid after I swap my pads, its easy as the wheels are already off.

-Kevin
Old 09-22-09, 08:22 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs2isf
How many miles have you put on the Hawks pads so far? Even the salesperson who sold me these (as a part of a gb from Lexus of Dayton) made sure to tell me that at the LEAST I would have to sand the rotors b4 installing the HAwks or I would have alot of headaches. I'm assuming if you haven't put alot of miles on these you should be able to get away with a sanding/resurfacing...assuming you've only put on a 100 or so miles?As far as Lexus resurfacing the rotors @ your mileage I don't think they will do it even if you take it back stock-they will just say you need some brake service at this milelage Mr. ExcluivIS Sucks b*lls bro Wish you had mentioned it me when we talked wheels On a positive note Mike(passnu2) installed my Hid3k fogs yesterday-you were right they are the *****! Lovin them Thnx Mike.... Sam i'm leaving work at 5pm and have the day off tmrw...call my cell if you need me.
Yeah I know LEXUS, probably won't do anything for my cause right now. Guess only thing to do is go back to my mechanic who installed and have him get to sanding!

TOLD YOU 3K'S ARE THE SHIEEEET! How those Garax bulbs treating ya?

Originally Posted by teoh2005
I do not believe in resurfacing rotors. There should be minimum pad buildup if you have been using stock pads especially if you only drive on the street. Also if you are going to more aggressive pad, it will remove any previous bad buildup. If you are getting squeaking, there are 2 things you can do. One is chamfer the leading/trailing edge with a metal file so that they resemble the stock pads. This will cut back on noise but since others are saying they are not getting any squeaks with these pads, you might just have some material (rock, sand, etc) b/w the rotor and brake pad. If that is the case, get some brake cleaner and spray the caliper and it should help eliminate the problem.

For those having a soft pedal after changing brakes, that is normal if you don't also flush/bleed the brake fluid. I always flush my fluid after I swap my pads, its easy as the wheels are already off.

-Kevin
Wait....where am I spraying brake cleaner?
Old 09-22-09, 08:46 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Yeah I know LEXUS, probably won't do anything for my cause right now. Guess only thing to do is go back to my mechanic who installed and have him get to sanding!

TOLD YOU 3K'S ARE THE SHIEEEET! How those Garax bulbs treating ya?

Wait....where am I spraying brake cleaner?
Buy Wurth Brand Brake Cleaner and attach the supplied red straw/tip (like the ones that come with compressed air) and spray in b/w the pad and rotor. Also before you do this, start the car and either drive forward/reverse and barely step on the brake pedal and try not to apply too much pressure so you can put the car in park/neutral and turn it off. This will allow more room b/w the pad and rotor so you can flush out whatever is in there. Spray from all angles and be liberal with the brake cleaner. Hope this helps.

-Kevin
Old 09-23-09, 02:04 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

^ Thanks for the info. I'm give it a shot.
Old 09-23-09, 03:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Just be careful...

As "Brake Cleaner" on painted surfaces, like wheel finish and/or painted calipers, will cause discoloration and/or fading..

Joe Z
Old 09-23-09, 05:15 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just be careful...

As "Brake Cleaner" on painted surfaces, like wheel finish and/or painted calipers, will cause discoloration and/or fading..

Joe Z
I've been told Wurth will not remove paint/finishes. I've used it with good results, will let everyone know if I get any negative results.

-Kevin
Old 09-23-09, 05:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by teoh2005
I've been told Wurth will not remove paint/finishes. I've used it with good results, will let everyone know if I get any negative results.

-Kevin
It might be OK if used expressly as directed, but the primary ingredients are heptane and cyclohexane. Heptane is a well known solvent, but is not used to remove paint. Here's what the Australian government says about cyclohexane:
Common uses

This compound is used as a solvent to dissolve cellulose ethers, lacquers, resins, fats, waxes, oils, bitumen and crude rubber. It is also used in perfume manufacturing, during surface coating operations (lacquers), in synthesis of adipic acid for production of nylon 66 and engineering plastics, during synthesis of caprolactam in nylon 6, paint and varnish remover, in the extraction of essential oils, in analytical chemistry for molecular weight determinations, in the manufacturing of adipic acid, benzene, cyclohexyl chloride, nitrocyclohexane, cyclohexanol and cyclohexanone, in the manufacturing of solid fuel for camp stoves, in fungicidal formulations (possesses slight fungicidal action) in the industrial recrystallising of steroids, organic synthesis, recrystallising medium glass substitutes, solid fuels, in analytical chemistry and in manufacturing of adhesives.
Now that the scary stuff is out there, MOST brake cleaners DO contain paint damaging solvents and will definitely dull your painted calipers. So will throttlebody cleaners (they're the worst for paint damage since they need to remove varnish). If you want a solvent to clean painted calipers without fear, look for an electrical contact cleaner. Many of them use trichloroethane which will remove grease and oil, but won't hurt paint or plastics commonly found in automotive applications. No matter what, you really do want to get any grease or oil off your rotors.

I've had mixed results with rotor scuffing prior to replacing pads. I now leave rotors alone and first try bedding the pads without doing anything other than cleaning with a suitable cleaner (if your calipers aren't painted, you can use ANY brake cleaner without fear). If they won't bed or I get uneven deposits, I'll hit the rotor with garnet cloth to scuff it up.

I had no deposit or bedding issues going from the OEM pads to my Carbotech XP-12 and XP-10 combination for the track, then going right back to the OEM pads for the drive home.
Old 09-23-09, 11:34 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very useful thread - thanks for the wealth of info!

I'm looking for DUSTLESS pads front and rear PLEASE! I know cars have brake dust but this car is ridiculous! Even my e46 m3 was so much better than the ISF.

I dunno what pads are on my nsx (probably just oem) but they generate virtually NO BRAKE DUST - thank god as LM's are a ***** to clean.....
Old 09-27-09, 10:00 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just be careful...

Joe Z
Are the stock calipers are painted? Wondering if they'll affect the finish...
Old 09-28-09, 08:44 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After a week driving with the Hawk ceramics I'm not happy. I mean, the stopping power is quite good, I'd say as good as OEM, no squeaking, and no brake dust! But I can see the same problem that caymandive had with his ceramic pads some time ago.

Check out these pictures taken today, I can see hot spots on my rotors (not warped though), and the pads don't come into contact with the rotors 100%. I sent an email to Hawk, I hope I can have a solution soon.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X-img_0806_resize.jpg   Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X-img_0809_resize.jpg   Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X-img_0811_resize.jpg  
Old 09-28-09, 10:46 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAM, show me pics of your rims or lead them to the link...Also i have the same ceramic pads, occasionally they will have a squeak to it like everyone else its aftermarket plus if you break them in incorrectly they will have a squeak to them for its life of the pad.
Old 09-28-09, 10:56 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Juana.....

I noticed the same exact thing. My pads are wearing uneven as well, the whole pad does not touch the rotor. I guess this is what they were talking about with poor fitment issue. Can you PM me the email address you are contacting them by? I will as well send pics and an email to them.
Old 09-28-09, 03:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Are the stock calipers are painted? Wondering if they'll affect the finish...
Yes, thats correct..

The OEM "Brembo Calipers" are painted black..
Including their aftermarket line of colored Brembo Calipers.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 09-28-09, 05:46 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent.

Juana.....

I noticed the same exact thing. My pads are wearing uneven as well, the whole pad does not touch the rotor. I guess this is what they were talking about with poor fitment issue. Can you PM me the email address you are contacting them by? I will as well send pics and an email to them.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X