Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 10:55 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes, thats correct..

The OEM "Brembo Calipers" are painted black..
Including their aftermarket line of colored Brembo Calipers.

Regards,

Joe Z
Thanks for the confirmation Joe.

Originally Posted by Juanca
PM sent.
And thanks Juanca, like I responded in your PM...I will be taking pics and maybe video to be sent to hawk tomorrow. This is all a headache after dishing out a large sum of $$ for pads.
Old 09-28-09, 11:52 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juanca
After a week driving with the Hawk ceramics I'm not happy. I mean, the stopping power is quite good, I'd say as good as OEM, no squeaking, and no brake dust! But I can see the same problem that caymandive had with his ceramic pads some time ago.

Check out these pictures taken today, I can see hot spots on my rotors (not warped though), and the pads don't come into contact with the rotors 100%. I sent an email to Hawk, I hope I can have a solution soon.
I had this same mark on my rotors after installing the Hawk's only it was BOTH top and bottom edge of the rotors.....BUT they dissapered after 10 days or so.Like I said b4 no squeaks no dust great bite on these suckers couldn't be happier Hope you guys resolve your issues....Sam homie where are the PICS
Old 09-29-09, 12:03 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my hawk hp plus show up on the door tomorrow. Time for some rotor grinding.. ahh rotors are pretty cheap..
Old 09-29-09, 12:58 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

You need to resurface the rotors; install the pads with shim grease and remember to put the shims back on.
Old 10-07-09, 10:16 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Just a side note, do you guys know there is actually a TSB about the factory brake pads?

It's one of those "you have to complain about it" in order for it to be dealt with and for them to acknowledge the TSB. A lot like the alignment TSB....

TSB is in regards to brake noise and squeal. Pads are replaced with a different pad that has a changed leading edge.

Just thought you all should know. My F had the pads replaced by the dealer.
Old 10-07-09, 10:28 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by Obiwan
Just a side note, do you guys know there is actually a TSB about the factory brake pads?

It's one of those "you have to complain about it" in order for it to be dealt with and for them to acknowledge the TSB. A lot like the alignment TSB....

TSB is in regards to brake noise and squeal. Pads are replaced with a different pad that has a changed leading edge.

Do you happen to know the service bulletin code? Thanks.

-Kevin
Old 10-07-09, 10:31 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

I'll see if I can look it up on the paperwork. Remind me in the morning if I forget to do so.

Was a TSB on several model IS's as is the alignment TSB but only if dealt with in the first 12 months or 20K miles.
Old 10-07-09, 10:33 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

I'll see if I can look it up on the paperwork. Remind me in the morning if I forget to do so.

Was a TSB on several model IS's as is the alignment TSB but only if dealt with in the first 12 months or 20K miles.
Great thanks, I will also call Lexus in the morning to see if they can give it to me. Thanks again.

-Kevin
Old 10-07-09, 11:13 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

No problem. Surprising how many of these TSB's are out there and they require the customer to "complain" before they do anything about it.

That's big business though I guess.
Old 10-08-09, 06:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Do you happen to have the VINs referenced by this TSB? I have a late build '08, and have never had brake noise or squeal.

Lou
Old 10-08-09, 09:54 AM
mondo540
Driver

Juanca, I have these pads as well and complained to Doug at Lexus of Dayton about a week after I had them installed (and they did the install).... I never noticed the rust ring near the hub, nor the grooving with the old pads...it was like the hawks didn't cover the surface of the rotor completely. I took pics and sent to him...he told me he got a pair of the OEM's and laid them on top of Hawks and they were the same exact size...he sent the pics to the Hawk rep and the rep said this was normal....I left it alone but really didn't feel the pads were "right", but then again, I questioned myself as I thought maybe it was always there and I just never noticed before...

These Hawks are quiet, dust less and that's what I wanted...but if there is a TSB on squeaky pads I'm going to be ticked as that was all I was tying to cure and it cost me 400.00.

BTW, Hawk pad owners, Doug is asking for feedback on these pads...lexusf.com., in the supporting vendor section.
Old 10-08-09, 09:59 AM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

I do not know the Vin's covered by the TSB. When I look at the paperwork it shows the work performed but is not mentioning the TSB #. I have a call in to the service manager at Lexus and waiting on a call back on that one.
Old 10-08-09, 11:10 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey mondo, I've been discussing this problem directly with Hawk, there have been emails back and forth, but after providing details as well as pictures it seems like they don't care, last time I heard from them was a full week ago.

I know the pads are the same size and shape as OEM, but for some reason they don't make contact completely. My guess is that they flex at the lower area, maybe too soft? Three things though: they're quiet, dust is minimal, and they have great stopping power, BUT I hate that rust ring on my rotors!!!

I think you should complain to Hawk, if you want I can PM you the contact info.

Originally Posted by mondo540
Juanca, I have these pads as well and complained to Doug at Lexus of Dayton about a week after I had them installed (and they did the install).... I never noticed the rust ring near the hub, nor the grooving with the old pads...it was like the hawks didn't cover the surface of the rotor completely. I took pics and sent to him...he told me he got a pair of the OEM's and laid them on top of Hawks and they were the same exact size...he sent the pics to the Hawk rep and the rep said this was normal....I left it alone but really didn't feel the pads were "right", but then again, I questioned myself as I thought maybe it was always there and I just never noticed before...

These Hawks are quiet, dust less and that's what I wanted...but if there is a TSB on squeaky pads I'm going to be ticked as that was all I was tying to cure and it cost me 400.00.

BTW, Hawk pad owners, Doug is asking for feedback on these pads...lexusf.com., in the supporting vendor section.
Old 10-08-09, 01:00 PM
GreggW
Driver School Candidate

Would like to throw my 2 cents in on your brake problems. A brake squeel is caused by a harmonic vibration. Cause in most cases is replacing pads and not turning the brake rotors. As pads wear in most cases, a small amount of uneven wear occurs on the rotor surface. With new pads being perfectly flat, put on an uneven rotor surface the pad makes contact only with the highest points on the rotor. This leads to a very small contact point in several places and causes overheating of the friction material in those places, or glazing. Turning rotors does 2 things. Removes any lateral run out or warpage, and gives the new pads a smooth even surface to bed into. IS-F rotors have a new thickness of 1.180 and discard thickness of 1.110. Most rotor surfaces can be cleaned up by removing .005 to .010 of material per side. Given normal wear these rotors should be thick enough to be turned 1 and maybe 2 times.
When the brake pads are installed, use caliper grease between the shims and pads, all points where the pad backing contacts the caliper, and a small amount can even be placed where the pistons contact the pad. Not sure what the oem friction material is, but as a rule ceramic pads should not make any noise, and reduce dusting. Hope this helps.

One other thing. When seating the caliper pistons back into the bores, it is best to open the bleeder and let the fluid escape there instead of pushing it back thru the system into the master cylinder.

Last edited by GreggW; 10-08-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 02:54 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Originally Posted by GreggW
Would like to throw my 2 cents in on your brake problems. A brake squeel is caused by a harmonic vibration. Cause in most cases is replacing pads and not turning the brake rotors. As pads wear in most cases, a small amount of uneven wear occurs on the rotor surface. With new pads being perfectly flat, put on an uneven rotor surface the pad makes contact only with the highest points on the rotor. This leads to a very small contact point in several places and causes overheating of the friction material in those places, or glazing. Turning rotors does 2 things. Removes any lateral run out or warpage, and gives the new pads a smooth even surface to bed into. IS-F rotors have a new thickness of 1.180 and discard thickness of 1.110. Most rotor surfaces can be cleaned up by removing .005 to .010 of material per side. Given normal wear these rotors should be thick enough to be turned 1 and maybe 2 times.
When the brake pads are installed, use caliper grease between the shims and pads, all points where the pad backing contacts the caliper, and a small amount can even be placed where the pistons contact the pad. Not sure what the oem friction material is, but as a rule ceramic pads should not make any noise, and reduce dusting. Hope this helps.

One other thing. When seating the caliper pistons back into the bores, it is best to open the bleeder and let the fluid escape there instead of pushing it back thru the system into the master cylinder.
What he said. I just ordered my fronts from Carbotech. One way or another, the rotors are getting turned before the new pads go on.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X