IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 03:26 PM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggW
Would like to throw my 2 cents in on your brake problems. A brake squeel is caused by a harmonic vibration. Cause in most cases is replacing pads and not turning the brake rotors. As pads wear in most cases, a small amount of uneven wear occurs on the rotor surface. With new pads being perfectly flat, put on an uneven rotor surface the pad makes contact only with the highest points on the rotor. This leads to a very small contact point in several places and causes overheating of the friction material in those places, or glazing. Turning rotors does 2 things. Removes any lateral run out or warpage, and gives the new pads a smooth even surface to bed into. IS-F rotors have a new thickness of 1.180 and discard thickness of 1.110. Most rotor surfaces can be cleaned up by removing .005 to .010 of material per side. Given normal wear these rotors should be thick enough to be turned 1 and maybe 2 times.
When the brake pads are installed, use caliper grease between the shims and pads, all points where the pad backing contacts the caliper, and a small amount can even be placed where the pistons contact the pad. Not sure what the oem friction material is, but as a rule ceramic pads should not make any noise, and reduce dusting. Hope this helps.

One other thing. When seating the caliper pistons back into the bores, it is best to open the bleeder and let the fluid escape there instead of pushing it back thru the system into the master cylinder.
You've done some brakes in your time it sounds like....can you tell me why there is a 3/8" rust ring around both of my front rotors nearest the hub and the OEM pads did not leave this ring?...that means to me that there is no contact at all there, none...the rest of the rotor out from the hub has these little wear cocentric circles...if the pads are the exact same size as OEM's, what's going on in that last 3/8" closest to the hub? I can't imagine it making no contact at all???? It's like the piston is pushing only on the top part of the pad...is that possible? I don't know brakes so bear with me here..
Old 10-08-09, 03:30 PM
BB/F
Rookie

The pad doesnt contact that point of the rotor. Its normal on most cars.
Old 10-08-09, 03:42 PM
mondo540
Driver

Well, if that's the case ( I sure don't remember that ring there with the OEM's but I could be wrong), I stand down...and what LOD and the Hawk rep said is true...it's normal...
Old 10-08-09, 03:44 PM
GreggW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mondo540
You've done some brakes in your time it sounds like....can you tell me why there is a 3/8" rust ring around both of my front rotors nearest the hub and the OEM pads did not leave this ring?...that means to me that there is no contact at all there, none...the rest of the rotor out from the hub has these little wear cocentric circles...if the pads are the exact same size as OEM's, what's going on in that last 3/8" closest to the hub? I can't imagine it making no contact at all???? It's like the piston is pushing only on the top part of the pad...is that possible? I don't know brakes so bear with me here..
BB/F is correct. most pads footprint does not extend all the way to the center edge of the rotor surface. It is important to compare the new pads to the old pads regarding the surface of the pad. Some may vary slightly and makes turning or replacing the rotors even more important.

I do this for a living and have done a few brake jobs in my time.....like 35 years worth. Every situation is a bit different, but there is alway a solution to every problem.
Old 10-08-09, 04:12 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Lexus and didn't have any luck getting TSB for changing the brake pads on the IS-F. Anyone have the TSB #? Thanks.

-Kevin
Old 10-08-09, 08:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by BB/F
The pad doesnt contact that point of the rotor. Its normal on most cars.
Well, if that's the case ( I sure don't remember that ring there with the OEM's but I could be wrong), I stand down...and what LOD and the Hawk rep said is true...it's normal...
Originally Posted by GreggW
BB/F is correct. most pads footprint does not extend all the way to the center edge of the rotor surface. It is important to compare the new pads to the old pads regarding the surface of the pad. Some may vary slightly and makes turning or replacing the rotors even more important.
This problem is obvious... and is not normal.

The Aftermarket pad reaches the center edge of the rotor line, but the pad itself is not making contacting in that area during braking.

Joe Z
Old 10-09-09, 06:11 AM
BB/F
Rookie

Looking at that rotor, I see a lip on the outside edge of the rotor. It doesnt look like the rotor was turned before installing the new pads. If it wasnt, it doesnt surprise me that there is not even contact between the face of the pad and the rotor.
Old 10-09-09, 12:22 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obiwan
Just a side note, do you guys know there is actually a TSB about the factory brake pads?

It's one of those "you have to complain about it" in order for it to be dealt with and for them to acknowledge the TSB. A lot like the alignment TSB....

TSB is in regards to brake noise and squeal. Pads are replaced with a different pad that has a changed leading edge.

Just thought you all should know. My F had the pads replaced by the dealer.
Theres a TSB now?! If there really is, Im pissed...didn't save my oem pads to put back in to get warranty done.

Are the new pads dusty? Or they improved? Give us more here...

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
You need to resurface the rotors; install the pads with shim grease and remember to put the shims back on.
TACH- where in NY you work out of? We need a tech bad!

Originally Posted by Juanca
Hey mondo, I've been discussing this problem directly with Hawk, there have been emails back and forth, but after providing details as well as pictures it seems like they don't care, last time I heard from them was a full week ago.

I know the pads are the same size and shape as OEM, but for some reason they don't make contact completely. My guess is that they flex at the lower area, maybe too soft? Three things though: they're quiet, dust is minimal, and they have great stopping power, BUT I hate that rust ring on my rotors!!!

I think you should complain to Hawk, if you want I can PM you the contact info.
Juana, haven't had a spare minute to even drive my car. I gotta get pics, and send to hawk but by the sound of it...doesn't seem like there doing much about the situation? LMK if I should still proceed with them...

On another note, I have that same ring of rust around my rotor as well now...I'll take pics later.

Looking at that rotor, I see a lip on the outside edge of the rotor. It doesnt look like the rotor was turned before installing the new pads. If it wasnt, it doesnt surprise me that there is not even contact between the face of the pad and the rotor.
Can u explain what you mean by rotors gotta be turned? You mean clockwise or something?
Old 10-09-09, 01:04 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

FAILED TO MENTION:

I used a powerwasher/self car wash last weekend and sprayed down my wheels/rotors pretty well and since then noticed the squeek go away. (KNOCK ON WOOD PLEASE DON'T LET IT COME BACK!!!) Maybe it loosed up some of that old caked on dust?

Chime in....
Old 10-09-09, 01:20 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

I called my dealership and they are not aware of any brake pads TSB? Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 10-09-09, 01:40 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Can u explain what you mean by rotors gotta be turned? You mean clockwise or something?
They should be machined so that they are completely true before installing new pads. Wear and heat will distort the rotor over time so if you dont turn them before installing new pads, you dont have a true surface to figure out if something is wrong with the pad. I've heard that the stock rotors cant be turned because it puts them out of spec so you have to buy new ones. But there is a spec and if its still within spec, they can be turned and still usable.

I worked at a machine shop for along time and we would turn drums and rotors for walk in customers. Over time, I noticed that the manufacturers started making the rotors thinner so you could turn them maybe once depending how bad they were worn. Pretty smart. Make it so you have to pay for new rotors anytime you need brakes. Makes them money.
Old 10-09-09, 02:12 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

They should be machined so that they are completely true before installing new pads. Wear and heat will distort the rotor over time so if you dont turn them before installing new pads, you dont have a true surface to figure out if something is wrong with the pad. I've heard that the stock rotors cant be turned because it puts them out of spec so you have to buy new ones. But there is a spec and if its still within spec, they can be turned and still usable.

I worked at a machine shop for along time and we would turn drums and rotors for walk in customers. Over time, I noticed that the manufacturers started making the rotors thinner so you could turn them maybe once depending how bad they were worn. Pretty smart. Make it so you have to pay for new rotors anytime you need brakes. Makes them money.
Well Im sad to say that I saw the guy do nothing to my rotors upon install of the new pads. That might be the reason why I am getting the squeel? However, not sure you read my post but since powerwashing them it hasn't happened. *CROSSES FINGERS*
Old 10-09-09, 02:45 PM
mondo540
Driver

Man, we can't get definite anything....

- is there a TSB on OEM brake pads or not?
- are the hawk pads defective or not?
- was the install process done wrong by not turning rotors or not? (well Lexus says no or you can't turn them, others say you can, and should)
- what is causing the rust ring? the pads or the install?
- do you flush brake fluid or not when you change pads? I added this one.

I am out $400 and annoyed (not at anyone on this thread)...within the very first week of my pads being changed (first car wash)...I noticed that damn rust ring... contacted my installing dealer , took and sent pics, expressed my concern about the pads or the install....was assured they were of utmost quality and install done correctly. Well, my rear rotors have no rust ring, but my fronts do. I'm letting it go...lesson learned and in the grand scheme it wasn't that expensive of a lesson. Thx everyone for the info...I learned a few things...I think.
Old 10-09-09, 04:22 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Man, we can't get definite anything....

- is there a TSB on OEM brake pads or not? Dont know
- are the hawk pads defective or not? Dont know. My guess is the pads were fine. But since the rotors werent turned or new you wouldnt be able to troubleshoot unless you started with a fresh pad and rotor and determined if the problem still showed up
- was the install process done wrong by not turning rotors or not? (well Lexus says no or you can't turn them, others say you can, and should) A proper brake job involves fresh pads and turned/or new rotors. The important thing here is you have two perfectly flat surfaces for proper bedding. You get the true surface on the rotor by turning it or installing a new rotor. You can install pads without turning the rotors but your results may vary.
- what is causing the rust ring? the pads or the install? The ring is caused by the pad not touching the rotor. No surprise if the rotor wasnt turned
- do you flush brake fluid or not when you change pads? I added this one. Up to you

I am out $400 and annoyed (not at anyone on this thread)...within the very first week of my pads being changed (first car wash)...I noticed that damn rust ring... contacted my installing dealer , took and sent pics, expressed my concern about the pads or the install....was assured they were of utmost quality and install done correctly. Well, my rear rotors have no rust ring, but my fronts do. I'm letting it go...lesson learned and in the grand scheme it wasn't that expensive of a lesson. Thx everyone for the info...I learned a few things...I think.
Answers in bold.
Old 10-10-09, 08:56 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I took my IS-F to the dealer (before doing the brake job) they checked both front and rear brakes, they said that rears were fine at 7mm or 8mm (don't remember exactly), but fronts were at 3mm and I should change pads soon. They inspected the front rotors and said that in many cases the rotors need to be replaced, but they may cut them if it's still possible. In my case they said that rotors were in great shape and I had to worry only about pads, rotors were fine as is. Of course I followed their advise and replace the pads only, but I went with Hawk ceramics trying to avoir brake dust. Again my only complain is that bad looking rust ring.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X