Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 08:29 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X

Maybe some guys can help/guide me here.

Couple weeks ago, I purchased the Hawk Ceramic pads to replace my front OEM dusty pads. Apparently these are suppose to reduce dust (Which it DEF did by ALOT) AND eliminate squealing, HOWEVER they are still making noise. Why would they still be noisy? Was it something that went wrong with the installation of them, or maybe my rotors need to be resurfaced? I have NO IDEA, I'm a newB with brake pads. Hawk's remaking these pads...well so I've heard, could it be a fitment issue that is causing the noise?

Secondly....I now noticed since my new wheels are on that the rear pads aren't quite dust free either. I have been on those oem rear pads for about 15k miles now, what is the life expectancy of pads usually? Could they be over dusting because they need to be replaced? And is that something I can get done my next servicing? Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 09-20-09, 09:49 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing will be quieter than OEM pads. Hawk or any other aftermarket pad is going to be more abrasive/make more noise than OEM. Only way to get them quiet is to do a few hard stops but the noise will come back.

-Kevin
Old 09-20-09, 10:41 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

hmm, mine (OEM)stopped making noise a while ago, maybe I have just aggressively bed them. What kind of driving do you do exclusive? When things get hot they seem to bed better and elevated temps may be required on the ceramic compound. Hawks work alot on material transfer to the rotor, so perhaps some more high temp bed in will solve it.

I will be swapping to HPS to test them and give you feedback once I do.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-20-09, 11:04 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
hmm, mine (OEM)stopped making noise a while ago, maybe I have just aggressively bed them. What kind of driving do you do exclusive? When things get hot they seem to bed better and elevated temps may be required on the ceramic compound. Hawks work alot on material transfer to the rotor, so perhaps some more high temp bed in will solve it.

I will be swapping to HPS to test them and give you feedback once I do.

Fig
To be honest, I've adapted a driving style now where I use the breaks as frequently as possible. I drive like this to keep breakdust from forming on my wheels Now your pretty much telling me that I'm not getting them hot enough, so I should go out and spirit drive and break them in now hard?

What pads are you on now? OEM? Oh and can worn down rear pads become overly dusty? How many miles are life expt of pads anyway?
Old 09-21-09, 07:17 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

The life expectancy really varies with how hard you drive it. On lexusF.com some of the guys on there their pads are almost done around 15K while some are still okay at 25K. I would imagine the OEM brakes to last longer than hawk pads. I bought hawk pads like 5 months ago but I still only have 8900 miles on my F in over a year. I don't have them on yet because I wanted my OEM brakes to be almost done before I put them on.
Old 09-21-09, 09:06 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaslapp1
The life expectancy really varies with how hard you drive it. On lexusF.com some of the guys on there their pads are almost done around 15K while some are still okay at 25K. I would imagine the OEM brakes to last longer than hawk pads. I bought hawk pads like 5 months ago but I still only have 8900 miles on my F in over a year. I don't have them on yet because I wanted my OEM brakes to be almost done before I put them on.
Okay. So maybe it is time for me to replace those rears too. What's your guys thoughts here...any company now fabricating REAR aftermarket pads or am I going to have to go OEM for this one?

Again...Does anyone know if a low/worn pad actually causes MORE dust?
Old 09-21-09, 10:02 AM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the hawk ceramics and have been running them for the last 5-6K miles or so...there is a bed in process you need to follow....It was several stops from varying mph and when done, they were damn near smoking...you then were supposed to let them sit for x minutes, etc.

- they are MUCH more quiet than stock, and immediately so. No squeaking until just recently when I get a slight chirp when coming to a very slow stop, such as stop signs or parking in my garage.

- the dust is is still there, although it seems to be less heavy and lighter in color.

- the brake pedal feel is a bit different, not the initial bite of the the OEM's.

My rears have always dusted but not as heavy as the fronts as the fronts take most of the braking load...
Old 09-21-09, 10:39 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^like mondo said i have no noise watsoever. i get it rarely once in awhile when im slowing down by braking but if u did the steps they told u to do when u first install them. yes the brake dust is not as much as the stock but its an improvement. most of the time its my rear oem pads that is making the noise.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 09-21-09 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-21-09, 10:56 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mondo540
I have the hawk ceramics and have been running them for the last 5-6K miles or so...there is a bed in process you need to follow....It was several stops from varying mph and when done, they were damn near smoking...you then were supposed to let them sit for x minutes, etc.

- they are MUCH more quiet than stock, and immediately so. No squeaking until just recently when I get a slight chirp when coming to a very slow stop, such as stop signs or parking in my garage.

- the dust is is still there, although it seems to be less heavy and lighter in color.

- the brake pedal feel is a bit different, not the initial bite of the the OEM's.

My rears have always dusted but not as heavy as the fronts as the fronts take most of the braking load...
I did fallow the break in process to a tee, including the resting time to allow them to cool off. Now my noise is the same one you guys are getting, which is when I come to a light/stop sign, or even when parking in my garage. Pedal does feel different a bit more giving, but thats alright with me. Not sure about you but my dust has significantly reduced from the OEM pads. Those things were a freakin NITEMARE!!!!!

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
^^like mondo said i have no noise watsoever. i get it rarely once in awhile when im slowing down by braking but if u did the steps they told u to do when u first install them. brake on them hard and then do a couple of soft brakes continuously. yes the brake dust is not as much as the stock but its an improvement. most of the time its my rear oem that is making the noise.
Hmmmm, now that I think about it. MAYBE it is my rears that are causing the noise now because of low pading? I know that I actually see the dust alot more on the polished lips of my wheels then I ever did on the stockers. Guess I was always so frustrated at the fronts?

What's up with this fitment issue thing on the Hawk pads as well? Can the vendor "CIRCUIT" chime in on this one? THANKS GUYS!
Old 09-21-09, 11:33 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my front pads (actually last week) for the first time, I got Hawk ceramics. My front OEM pads were at like 2mm when I replaced them and they were squeaking for the past couple of weeks. My rear pads are at like 7mm after 20K miles, so they can last for another year or so. My rotors (front and back) are fine per my local Lexus dealer, they don't even need to be resurfaced.

Installation was soooo easy that I'll do it myself next time (I went to a Good Year shop). The mechanic told me that this pads are great, and that I don't need to follow any bed in process. Well, I followed his advice and have been driving my car for about a week now. The first day I noticed a pedal feel way different, kind of mushy, and it took longer to stop than before. After the first day I can feel everything back to normal, same brake pedal feel, same braking power, and no noise/squeaking at all. I've been wondering if what it came inside the box was actually ceramics because they stop just as OEM, brake dust will tell...
Old 09-21-09, 11:48 AM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Hey Sam,
I got these 4 months ago and they are greatI had a customer of mine install these for me-he's an Infiniti Master Tech and worked for Chrysler/Jeep/Dodger in the past so he has plenty of experience with Brembos.
Since I only had 4k miles on my F at the time he only gave the rotors a light sanding to remove the pad build up from the stockers of the rotors.I know you have over 15k on your F so hopefully you resurfaced the rotors or at the least had them sanded down b4 installing the new pads.if you didn't do any of the 2 you will prob keep squeaking.As for the dust out back-mine still dust but nowhere near as they did in the fron-and Hawk still doesn't make a pad for the back.Mine front pads were bedded in and I don't have any squeaking whatsover but occasionally the stock pads in the rear squeak like they did since day 1.The reason you notice more brake dust out back now is cause you have a polished lip as opposed to the gunmetal from the stockers,I too notice the dust more on the back wheel b4 I can the the front and it is always on the polished lip that I notice it not the spokes.
Old 09-21-09, 11:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Anyone every hear of or use Centric Brake Pads ???
(affiliated with StopTech)

Thoughts!!??

Posi Quiet Brake Pads by CENTRIC...
It Seems they have or will have a Front & Rear Brake Pad application for the IS-F

(actual product not shown)

Actually, here are the part numbers...

SEMI-MET for IS "F"

Part Description | Flavor |Position ........Part Number
Brake Pads Posi-Quiet Metallic with Shims Front = 104.13650
Brake Pads Posi-Quiet Metallic with Shims Rear = 104.13660

They are currently in production, no price info just yet..

Also, there will be a set by StopTech (TBA)

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads Front = 309.13650
StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads Rear = 309.13660

This is all GOOD NEWS!!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-21-09 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 11:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Also found EBC Yellowstuff pad set ....

Joe Z
Old 09-21-09, 12:23 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

i just noticed... its brake not break...
Old 09-21-09, 01:41 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs2isf
Hey Sam,
I got these 4 months ago and they are greatI had a customer of mine install these for me-he's an Infiniti Master Tech and worked for Chrysler/Jeep/Dodger in the past so he has plenty of experience with Brembos.
Since I only had 4k miles on my F at the time he only gave the rotors a light sanding to remove the pad build up from the stockers of the rotors.I know you have over 15k on your F so hopefully you resurfaced the rotors or at the least had them sanded down b4 installing the new pads.if you didn't do any of the 2 you will prob keep squeaking.As for the dust out back-mine still dust but nowhere near as they did in the fron-and Hawk still doesn't make a pad for the back.Mine front pads were bedded in and I don't have any squeaking whatsover but occasionally the stock pads in the rear squeak like they did since day 1.The reason you notice more brake dust out back now is cause you have a polished lip as opposed to the gunmetal from the stockers,I too notice the dust more on the back wheel b4 I can the the front and it is always on the polished lip that I notice it not the spokes.
Nope. Maybe here lies my problem. No resurfacing or sanding was done on my rotors upon installation of the new pads. What should I do now? I know I can't bring it back to Lexus and have them resurface my rotors for free...or can I?

Glad to see your feeling my pain now with the rears as well.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Change...Unhappy :X