IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Tires = Wheel Damage!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 06:22 AM
Headless
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Tires = Wheel Damage!

I took my car into the local Lexus dealer to have new PS2s put on and have the rearview mirror TSIB performed on Tuesday. I didn't look very closely at the wheels when I picked the car up because it was raining (and had been for the past 2 weeks) and the car had not been washed.

Yesterday, the rain stopped and I had a chance to get the car cleaned up and noticed some new marks on the wheels. I plan on speaking with my service advisor later today, but want your opinions on what should happen.

It is unreasonable for me to ask for this to be repaired. All 4 wheels have varying degrees of damage, similar to what is in the pics.

They also damaged the overhead console (tool marks, gouges) which I already spoke to my service advisor about and replacement parts have been ordered.
Old 09-24-09, 06:33 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say this but when ever you leave your car for service at the dealer, especially for the work you had done, there will always be some sort of damage. I had the same damage on my rims, slightly worse and was upset. Service order should tell you the monkey that worked on your car, file a complaint with the service adviser and maybe they'll help you out.
Old 09-24-09, 06:51 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Are those of the same wheel or different wheels? That's allot of scratches.
Old 09-24-09, 07:00 AM
Headless
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, those are all different wheels. All 4 wheels have scratches around the lug nuts, as can be seen in the 2nd picture. 2 wheels have paint chips around the center caps, and the 2 other wheels have the nicks out of the spoke/lip in pics 1 and 4.
Old 09-24-09, 07:27 AM
rutiger
Rookie

good luck if you decide to get something fixed by the dealer. dealers have one goal in life and that's to make the most money possible with the least amount of expense. unfortunately anytime someone touches a wheel there's a risk of damage to some extent. i noticed my dealer left a few marks as well. plus the dumbasses put my tires on backwards so that meant to had to dismount and mount them an extra time.
Old 09-24-09, 10:44 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i took mine in to get my grille surround changed and they damaged the paint on my car when they pried it up
every time I go to get it serviced or anything there is always an issue
and its because the techs dont care at all
all u do it urselfers, I envy u
lexus is always saying perfect this perfection that
well after it leaves the line and it gets in ur hands
no one at lexus really cares about ur personal property

good thing my best bud does my wheels
i feel sorry for u, i can imagine and id be pissed
Old 09-24-09, 10:56 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Doh. It's hard enough to prove that the damage was caused by them, and it's even harder because it's already been 2 weeks. I would still talk to them and tell them the problem, just to see what they say (Before you propose or demand anything specific). That way you can gauge their reaction and go from there.

Attn all F owners, if you take it into a service that requires the techs to remove your wheels, make sure that you request up front that the techs use hand tools ONLY. There are no guarantees that they will do a better job, but at least this will give them a red flag that you are very meticulous in regards to your car.
Old 09-24-09, 12:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Funny, I washed my car this morning and there were chips and scratches far worse than you've pictured here just from road debris. No one has worked on my car but me since the 1k mile checkup. I even passed up the free oil change because I really didn't want them to wash more scratches into my Obsidian.
Old 09-24-09, 12:43 PM
Headless
Driver School Candidate

I may have been a little unclear on my original wording. The work was performed on Monday, Sept 21. The car was dirty because it has been raining here for the past couple of weeks, and it was not washed because it was raining on Monday when I picked it up. I washed the car on Tuesday and noticed the chips.

I took the car to have my service advisor look at it. He said they look over the cars when they are brought in and agrees that they did the damage. He is having a wheel repair guy come by on Monday to refinish the spots they messed up. They are also going to repair the damaged trim at the same time.
Old 09-24-09, 12:56 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by primecut
Doh. It's hard enough to prove that the damage was caused by them, and it's even harder because it's already been 2 weeks. I would still talk to them and tell them the problem, just to see what they say (Before you propose or demand anything specific). That way you can gauge their reaction and go from there.

Attn all F owners, if you take it into a service that requires the techs to remove your wheels, make sure that you request up front that the techs use hand tools ONLY. There are no guarantees that they will do a better job, but at least this will give them a red flag that you are very meticulous in regards to your car.
its bad but when i come to lexus they know how i am and always make sure they dont wash it or mess up anything! they had to replace my wheels once i bet they dont wanna do it again!
Old 09-24-09, 01:43 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
its bad but when i come to lexus they know how i am and always make sure they dont wash it or mess up anything! they had to replace my wheels once i bet they dont wanna do it again!
Yup. It's easy to tell if a Lexus dealer is equipped or experienced when it comes to handling enthusiasts and/or modded cars. When I went to my dealership, they knew right away to not wash my car afterwards. In fact, the service advisor wrote a big "DO NOT WASH" on top of my service sheet. And then when I picked up the car afterwards, the receptionist made a note to tell me that they backed my car into the parking spot so it wont scrape the front bumper since my car is lowered. And they left ample space between my car and others so there will be no chance of dings. Now that was pretty impressive to me.

Anyways, Headless, glad it worked out! Looks like they are a nice dealership.
Old 09-24-09, 08:49 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Headless
Unfortunately, those are all different wheels. All 4 wheels have scratches around the lug nuts, as can be seen in the 2nd picture. 2 wheels have paint chips around the center caps, and the 2 other wheels have the nicks out of the spoke/lip in pics 1 and 4.
Good God! Someone at that dealership is treating those expensive rims like they're just steelies. WTF!!!! That's absolutely unacceptable!

Tell 'em you're damned upset, if they don't already know and you want 'em fixed good as new or replaced. Further: tell 'em whomever worked on your car not to ever touch it again should he contunue to work there and should you continue with their so-called 'service'.

I make a habit of showing the service adivisor/manager around the car ahead of the visit to prove that there's no damages just in case there's a problem.-- It saves arguing.

Good luck and don't let them off the hook. These wheels are damned expensive to replace.

C.
Old 09-24-09, 09:05 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Jeeez... Now I'm scared to have the dealership replace my tires... I only go for oil changes and they know not to touch my car in any other way...

The techs now know whenever I come in cause they are always in amazement because no one brings in a F into their service bays but me...

Plus its always spotless when I bring it in so they know I'm very **** about my car
Old 09-25-09, 12:22 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is one of reason i dont goto dealership.. when i get something fixed for my car i always stay around to watch the guy working on my car.
It feels like they do more carefully that way..
Old 09-25-09, 09:00 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Headless
I may have been a little unclear on my original wording. The work was performed on Monday, Sept 21. The car was dirty because it has been raining here for the past couple of weeks, and it was not washed because it was raining on Monday when I picked it up. I washed the car on Tuesday and noticed the chips.

I took the car to have my service advisor look at it. He said they look over the cars when they are brought in and agrees that they did the damage. He is having a wheel repair guy come by on Monday to refinish the spots they messed up. They are also going to repair the damaged trim at the same time.
Glad it's getting fixed up! Make sure they do a superb job touching the wheels up

I've been fairly lucky with the dealership here in Austin (knock on wood). I haven't had any problems and most of the people there know how I like the car to be meticulous in every aspect. One of the tech's that used to always work on the car came out and introduced himself one day when I was getting it serviced. We chatted a bit and now he's the only tech at Lexus that works on my car. He knows I request him so he takes a little special care of the F

Quick Reply: New Tires = Wheel Damage!