IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 08:32 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
sounds better than nothing, lets get a list started and send it to the right people so we can get this problem solved.

1.lx470man-pitting on all wheels in corners. wash wheels weekly religiously.
2.jkeifer3 - pitting (rough surfaces and discoloration in the corners of the spokes) on both front wheels on the horizontal surfaces. Wash car and wheels religiously twice a week.
Old 10-08-09, 09:13 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list - I also have pitting on my wheels... I could almost copy/paste OPs description - I'm also around 5k miles on my '08, although I first noticed pitting around 4k. Same spot - the horizontal surfaces near the spokes, but not on the spokes.
Old 10-09-09, 09:59 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

list of wheel problems on Lexus Is-F

1.lx470man-pitting on all wheels in corners. wash wheels weekly religiously.
2.jkeifer3 - pitting (rough surfaces and discoloration in the corners of the spokes) on both front wheels on the horizontal surfaces. Wash car and wheels religiously twice a week.
3.AU_EE I also have pitting on my wheels... I could almost copy/paste OPs description - I'm also around 5k miles on my '08, although I first noticed pitting around 4k. Same spot - the horizontal surfaces near the spokes, but not on the spokes.
Old 10-20-09, 03:55 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

any more people affected??
Besides Dflores, has anyone else had their wheels replaced? That is just as important.
Old 10-20-09, 04:22 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

count me in as well guys...My 2 wheels have very bad rust pitting on the edges where the spokes meet...Dealer said you have to wash these wheels often!! I hand wash and wax my car once a week...This is definitely a concern that i think lexus should address it and come out with a solution.
Old 10-20-09, 04:29 PM
lx470man
Advanced

this is not a damn exotic, it is meant to be driven daily. And this is just not acceptable that the wheels need to be cleaned every day to keep them from being damaged.
Old 10-20-09, 08:05 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

For those curious what this is / looks like, or wondering if they have the same thing we're referring to, I took this picture:

Note that this is immediately after thoroughly cleaning the wheels - that isn't brake dust - it's rough to the touch specs of what I would call rust. The flat looking color / texture on the inner wheel is brake dust (and no I don't bother trying to clean that part of the wheel, which makes me wonder, if this is what happens when I keep them clean, whats going on under that thick layer? )
Old 10-20-09, 08:09 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have that problem too.
Old 10-21-09, 07:37 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My wheels look exactly like the picture posted above!! its a shame that our wheels look like this after a weekly wash.
Old 10-21-09, 08:43 AM
lexus-isf
Driver School Candidate

Well, if that is wheel pitting, I have same problem. My wheels look like the picture above.
But never complain to the dealer yet.

Last edited by lexus-isf; 10-21-09 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 12:03 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For those with pitting spots, what type of cleaner do you use? When do you clean the wheels, during hot or cold engine? Do you completely dry them after each cleaning? Wax or no wax?
Old 10-21-09, 12:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

That’s baked in accumulated Brake Dust / metal specs released from the High Friction pads..

A lot has to do with the gunmetal painted wheel finish..

After a while it begins to etch into the wheel finish itself.

For example, my Five Axis Design wheels do a great job of not allowing the brake dust to bake into my painted matte wheels..

That’s even after a month of not washing.

My current wheels have over 17k miles on them..
Of which 8k of them are with the IS-F..

No signs of baked in brake dust or etching, or "pitting".

Joe Z
Old 10-21-09, 12:19 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can count me in for that also... not as severe, just at the corner of the rim and spoke... i even get my car washed 2-3x per week...

now 8 months/over 6k miles...
Old 10-21-09, 04:43 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
That’s baked in accumulated Brake Dust / metal specs released from the High Friction pads..

A lot has to do with the gunmetal painted wheel finish..

After a while it begins to etch into the wheel finish itself.

For example, my Five Axis Design wheels do a great job of not allowing the brake dust to bake into my painted matte wheels..

That’s even after a month of not washing.

My current wheels have over 17k miles on them..
Of which 8k of them are with the IS-F..

No signs of baked in brake dust or etching, or "pitting".

Joe Z
Actually, based on feel, I don't think it's etched into the finish, I think it has removed the finish. I guess it doesn't really matter which it really is...

In any case, as you mentioned, your wheels are holding up against that, and I think most other wheels do, which is kind of the point of the complaint - we shouldn't have to "pamper" the wheels constantly, nor was I told I needed to, by the dealer or the owner's manual. I should be able to go a month without washing them, and then when I do, they should look like new.

I've never had the problem on previous cars/wheels, why should I on a Lexus?
Old 10-21-09, 05:30 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Originally Posted by avgj0F
For those with pitting spots, what type of cleaner do you use? When do you clean the wheels, during hot or cold engine? Do you completely dry them after each cleaning? Wax or no wax?
Typically Meguiars soap and water / soft sponge that I use only on wheels, although I tried a Black Magic wheel cleaner (guaranteed safe on painted wheels) that I tried after noticing this and at first thought soap just wasn't cutting it.

I don't have a rule per say, but I would say most of the time the engine / brakes are cold. Usually a weekend morning, back it out of the garage, wash, put it back.

Wheels typically air dry before I go anywhere; I just dry the body / windows.

Never waxed them until I read about it on here... Now I do to minimize additional damage, but was clearly too late, assuming that's effective at preventing it.

As mentioned before, that sufficed for all previous cars/wheels, and should suffice for these IMO.

Quick Reply: '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting